Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Either way lads if you take it that it's 3 years, then that's still 2018, surely be well through the panel by then.

Christ even if it was a 2 year course (Please don't be a smart ass and discuss the rarity of a 2 year degree I'm just using it to show a point) that's 2017!!!

If you told me I'd be on a panel from summer 2013 to late 2017 I'd be in Oz quicker than you can say Dannii Minogue.. yes Dannii..Kylie is over the hill lads..leave her go! :cool:

dannii-minogue-that-grape-juice-she-is-diva.png

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

adam88 wrote: »
    Any links???

I'd imagine this was due to UL launching a recruitment campaign for some prehospital emergency care lecturers.

That provides a pretty strong indication that they are looking to do this. They do have a graduate medical school there though so it may be for that. They have (what I think to be) Ireland's only prehospital research centre there too, so it would be plausible to think they are starting a paramedic degree programme, or a graduate prehospital care course for doctors.

All that said - if anyone has a definite answer I'd love to see it!

Pretty cool cinematography to be fair, for an online newspaper. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GAVINCC

So is it just thye 14 starting next Monday in Ballinasloe or is 23 starting

• Advertisement

GAVINCC wrote: »
    So is it just thye 14 starting next Monday in Ballinasloe or is 23 starting

AFAIK it's just the 14.

On that note, a quote from the HSE website a few days ago:

Furthermore, in 2013 the NAS recruited and trained approximately 70 Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs). The NAS is in the process of recruiting a further 20 paramedics during 2014.

So only 1/2 classes in 2014??

Source:
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/NationalAmbulanceService.html

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

If that's true (and I have read the linked article, where it does say 20 in 2014), then that's a disaster.

That would mean since the competition in the middle of 2013, that only 14-20 would be taken off the panel. I'll be old and grey by the time they get round to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ainom

Flaker wrote: »
    If that's true (and I have read the linked article, where it does say 20 in 2014), then that's a disaster.

That would mean since the competition in the middle of 2013, that only 14-20 would be taken off the panel. I'll be old and grey by the time they get round to me :(

Does that 20 include the old panel that was there or 20 off the 2013 panel ??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HowYaDave

I agree.this news is very hard to swallow.its a little disheartened at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Does sound like we could have a wait but never know I suppose

• Advertisement

Ya I'd say chin up..never know what might happen throughout the year perhaps more funding might be released to the NAS?

19hz wrote: »
    Ya I'd say chin up..never know what might happen throughout the year perhaps more funding might be released to the NAS?

That's all we can do our time will come just a matter of when looks a bit longer but it will be worth it when we get there just live in hope

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Just wondering if its a mistake in the published documents and they are on about Advanced Paramedics it was mentioned earlier in document. Advanced paramedic class is usually about 20.
    Maybe that I'm wrong but it was mentioned about AP's earlier in same paragraph and class of AP's starting soon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

Class of AP starting next week also, no idea how many yer

raytaxi wrote: »
    Just wondering if its a mistake in the published documents and they are on about Advanced Paramedics it was mentioned earlier in document. Advanced paramedic class is usually about 20.
    Maybe that I'm wrong but it was mentioned about AP's earlier in same paragraph and class of AP's starting soon I think.

You could be right we will go with that reading of it anyway :) that's better

Was thinking it was April for the AP class wasn't sure though

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

Don't forget, there are still three reviews of the service to be completed soon and one in particular is on resourcing of the NAS. Recommendations will be given at the end to the minister

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-04-01a.70

k_d wrote: »
    Class of AP starting next week also, no idea how many yer

I thought they put AP and ICO training on hold until 2015?

As far as I know there Is ICOs in training at the minute or starting soon anyway well so I was told...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

No advanced paramedic training has been put on hold. There has been a change however in that the next recruitment will be early 2015, there are usually two recruitment drives each year.
    There are enough candidates on the current panel to keep going with a class in both April and September 2014 and into 2015.

• Advertisement

I believe no one is being released from the old north east for next couple of classes of AP's due to lack of relief staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 para.fred

Things do seem a little uncertain for the last few weeks and i know we need to be patient. That said with the amount of effort and money spent by everyone who secured a place on this panel, some clarity about our future would be nice. Would like the wish the best of luck too the 14 starting on Monday hopefully the rest of us will follow soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

para.fred wrote: »
    That said with the amount of effort and money spent by everyone who secured a place on this panel, some clarity about our future would be nice.

Exactly what do you want clarified?

You are on a panel that will have a lifespan of over three years, classes will be called when the finances are released and the go ahead is given by the HSE to take in the next class and the next, and so on. That is the way it is and has been for a number of years now. So depending on where you are positioned on the panel you may be called for training during 2014, then again you may be called during 2015 or 2016, again depending on where you are placed on the panel.

People need to be patient because you are only serving to bring stress upon your self. If you researched the recruitment process fully before applying then you would know the life span of panels and the timeframe it takes to exhaust them.

Be patient, and the best of luck.

Goodluck everybody starting today!! Exciting times can't wait to be in you're shoes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hez3022

Hey guys, how is the classes going? Any news on when the next class might be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

No, there is no news. Just rumors and all they'll do is cause undue stress when they do not come to fruition. I'm sure when new offers go out, this thread will be alive again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hez3022

Many thanks antichrist

antichrist wrote: »
    No, there is no news. Just rumors and all they'll do is cause undue stress when they do not come to fruition. I'm sure when new offers go out, this thread will be alive again.

Same as iv been told all sorts of stuff but no point posting it here because it will only drive everybody mad :) best thing is just hold of till offers come out then we can talk hope the class is doing well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

anything to report these days lads ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

It's nearly our one year anniversary on the panel!

Time to set up a support group?

Advertisement