Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

McCoy wrote: »
    anything to report these days lads ??

Not a thing lately not even a good old rumour to spread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think class 16 are out on placement.

flazio wrote: »
    I think class 16 are out on placement.

Yes they are on hospital placements I think I know one the guys on it seen few Facebook photos of an exercise they did and stuff not one bit jelious I promise :rolleyes: ah our time will come :)

Don't no if this is good bad or makes no difference I'm going with makes no difference http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS1283.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HowYaDave

does this mean our panel will not be exhausted first? oh man this is some rolletcoaster trip!!!!

• Advertisement

HowYaDave wrote: »
    does this mean our panel will not be exhausted first? oh man this is some rolletcoaster trip!!!!

This is to fill vacancies they have right now they could start our hole panel today but we won't fill vacancies for 2 years so they need qualified staff now so it shouldn't have Mutch bearing only maybe slow down the need a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

sjb25 wrote: »
    This is to fill vacancies they have right now they could start our hole panel today but we won't fill vacancies for 2 years so they need qualified staff now so it shouldn't have Mutch bearing only maybe slow down the need a bit

Couple of ways you could look at it. Firstly they've realised why are we paying out a 100k to train paras when we can get them for nothing, and pay them peanuts for the first few years then when cao comes up get them highly trained thanks to the dept of education then recruit them. I really doubt out panel will be fully exhausted. Maybe another class or two but that's all IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

When does the cao start

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

When does the cao start

January 2015? That's just a wild guess as UL and UCD are keeping very tight lipped on the specifics of their courses. We don't know is probably a better answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Mycroft H wrote: »
    January 2015? That's just a wild guess as UL and UCD are keeping very tight lipped on the specifics of their courses. We don't know is probably a better answer

It's going to be CAO so we can gather it will be a September start.

Now we don't know September of what year. Most likely 2015.
    UL and UCD are preparing their 4 year courses. Has anyone heard from UCC?
    Any rumours?

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    It's going to be CAO so we can gather it will be a September start.

Now we don't know September of what year. Most likely 2015.
    UL and UCD are preparing their 4 year courses. Has anyone heard from UCC?
    Any rumours?

September start is a given. But if we're going through a CAO system we'd need to know before the normal closing date for applications which is February the 1st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

When does the cao start

What are you asking, when does the CAO paramedic course start, or, when does the CAO start accepting applications from interested parties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Donadea lad

Both

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sossie

Hi all, does anyone know anything definite about the current panel - ie how many have gone (either into the school or just left for other reasons)? And does anyone have an idea of the lifespan of the panel? I have an offer of a university place and I'm torn between hanging on for the NATS or taking the college offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Sossie wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone know anything definite about the current panel - ie how many have gone (either into the school or just left for other reasons)? And does anyone have an idea of the lifespan of the panel? I have an offer of a university place and I'm torn between hanging on for the NATS or taking the college offer.

I don't think anyone knows what the current plan is. The college is due to move to Tallaght when the Control centre is set up and that is now in the advanced stages. As for the lifespan, well they drew some from the 2010 panel this year so that would lead one to believe a life span of at least four years.

Well done on the college offer and the best of luck with your decision and future.

Bang Bang wrote: »
    I don't think anyone knows what the current plan is. The college is due to move to Tallaght when the Control centre is set up and that is now in the advanced stages. As for the lifespan, well they drew some from the 2010 panel this year so that would lead one to believe a life span of at least four years.

Well done on the college offer and the best of luck with your decision and future.

Thanks for your prompt reply and good wishes Bang Bang. I have gathered from reading previous posts and from conversations with NAS that nobody really knows what is happening re the recruitment process. It must be frustrating for people who are keen to get going with their paramedic training. As for my situation, if things continue as they are (ie, a pretty slow rate of recruitment), then theoretically I could do my degree and then take up my place in the NATS and train as a paramedic.

If it were me I'd g with the sure thing of a college place.

Thanks Mycroft H.

I'd go with this aswell who nos how long well all be waiting I think they will use the panel but it will be slow going

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

lads did anyone hear anything about a class going in next month ?

• Advertisement

McCoy wrote: »
    lads did anyone hear anything about a class going in next month ?

Yes heard that rumour alright but couldn't see it they would of sent offers out before now to give time for medicals and all..... Heard a few rumors but until offers come out I try not to believe them you'd go mad ha :)

I wonder how many are left on our panel - or did many people decide to do other things?

Sossie wrote: »
    I wonder how many are left on our panel - or did many people decide to do other things?

Well I was told numbers ranging from 150-200 on the panel about 8 or so gone of it to date

Regarding your panel position and when you may be called for training.
    The NAS Education & Competency Assurance Plan 2012-14 is allowing for UP To 96 new paramedics to be trained during and including 2013 and 2014. Ten new NAS paramedics are now in training, that allows for an additional 'up to' 86 more trainee paramedics to be taken on between now and the end of 2014.
    Operational demands may dictate otherwise but if the plan goes as 'planned' and taken into account any person remaining on the 2010 panel who may or may not defer then anybody placed up to 86 on the current panel may get called for training before the end of 2014.

As for paramedic training to go CAO, yes that is in the pipeline, UCD have the programme in place but there are other grounds to cover before training goes CAO, but we are led to believe it will be sooner rather than later.

As this plan finishes at the end of 2014 is there a new plan published or will there be by the end of the year for 2015-2016 anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

As this plan finishes at the end of 2014 is there a new plan published or will there be by the end of the year for 2015-2016 anybody know?

I was thinking about that alright, id imagine they're making it up as they go along

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

There are always new plans replacing older models as they expire. As for recruitment, there has been a large sum of money invested in the recruitment programme and the panel that is in existence will be used, as to when, nobody knows at this stage because of various issues raised, like the delays in Tallaght for example, so these issues have delayed the planned 96 trainees.

If you are on the panel then relax as you will be called but these panels take time to exhaust, often three years or more. Candidates got panels numbers, not starting dates so you need to be patient.

There are always new plans replacing older models as they expire. As for recruitment, there has been a large sum of money invested in the recruitment programme and the panel that is in existence will be used, as to when, nobody knows at this stage because of various issues raised, like the delays in Tallaght for example, so these issues have delayed the planned 96 trainees.

If you are on the panel then relax as you will be called but these panels take time to exhaust, often three years or more. Candidates got panels numbers, not starting dates so you need to be patient.

O I understand that bang bang I've a few days off and was just looking around to see what I could find out for myself idle hands and all that :) and you no yourself no point asking around a lot coz you get 20 story's mostly negative ones

And I did a third person placement with NAS there made me a bit itchy I suppose ha ha :)

I don't mind waiting as long as it takes but you're little bit of news has made my day :)

Thanks very much BB, nice to hear some fresh news.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

made some enquiries the other day and from what I gather they are training in new staff for the new command and control centres. How far through them they are I dont know but it seems they are concentrating on getting Ballyshannon and Tallaght up and running first.

I cant imagine though that would take too long or that there would be many classes.

Dont worry people we are 14 months closer than when panel went live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

"New post in Student Paramedic 2013". Every time I get that email alert I jump!

Thanks Gawley. Kinda makes sense that they get the call takers and dispatchers all trained before they start with us. You'd think they would start the vetting and medicals process for a batch of us now though as that would mean a class would be ready to go immediately instead of being held up for a couple of months more.

Gawley wrote: »
    made some enquiries the other day and from what I gather they are training in new staff for the new command and control centres. How far through them they are I dont know but it seems they are concentrating on getting Ballyshannon and Tallaght up and running first.

I cant imagine though that would take too long or that there would be many classes.

Dont worry people we are 14 months closer than when panel went live

Advertisement