Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

they aren't training us that fast, im in the top ten on the dispatcher panel and i still haven't been called for training.

when is this panel due to expire? have they emailed or wrote to you in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

they aren't training us that fast, im in the top ten on the dispatcher panel and i still haven't been called for training.

when is this panel due to expire? have they emailed or wrote to you in any way?
    Panels according to the acceptance letter "last a year but can be extended" now you can be 99.9% that the panel will be extended they won't scrap a panel with only 8-10 gone off it and run a whole other recruitment....
    Every other years the panels have lasted around three if not a bit more years and doubt this will be any different if not longer
    As bang bang and others have said the panel will be used we just have to be patient and wait our turn our time will come

Admittedly you'd need the patience of a saint :) but if you look at the old 2010 thread it was the same for them we just have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

Anything to report these days peeps ? anything at all ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sossie

McCoy wrote: »
    Anything to report these days peeps ? anything at all ???

Haven't heard a dicky bird!

Fancy sign in tallaght presume delays in here is what bang bang is talking about hopefully the move will keep going along and maybe we will see some movement at some stage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Juanito13

sjb25 wrote: »
    Fancy sign in tallaght presume delays in here is what bang bang is talking about hopefully the move will keep going along and maybe we will see some movement at some stage

They ran out of T's for the sign. That must be causing the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

There's a lot of work ongoing at the new building in Tallaght and the new college is looking really well, very state of the art. For those of you currently on the panel, I think the wait will be worth it ;)

Bang Bang wrote: »
    There's a lot of work ongoing at the new building in Tallaght and the new college is looking really well, very state of the art. For those of you currently on the panel, I think the wait will be worth it ;)

Iv been told by a dickie bird it's lovely could of spell checked that aul sign tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Iv been told by a dickie bird it's lovely could of spell checked that aul sign tho :)

That's a quick observation test for potential new recruits before class, you've passed :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

That's a quick observation test for potential new recruits before class, you've passed :D:p

I suppose ballinsloe is dead in the water

• Advertisement

Excellent il start Monday so :)

adam88 wrote: »
    I suppose ballinsloe is dead in the water

No idea but I'd assume it will stay and tallaght replacing phoeinx park but I'm assuming

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sj efr

breakingnews.ie/ireland/half-of-all-dublin-999-calls-delayed-over-missing-ambulances-653102.html

details of todays report u have to put www. At the start because of boards restrictions on posting urls

sj efr wrote: »
    breakingnews.ie/ireland/half-of-all-dublin-999-calls-delayed-over-missing-ambulances-653102.html

details of todays report u have to put www. At the start because of boards restrictions on posting urls

Just having a look at it at the moment this bit of the report about student paramedics "Operational workforce planning
    While there had been a recruitment drive to increase the number of call-takers and dispatchers, the Authority identified that the current rate of recruitment and training for new entrant paramedics had declined to a point where, within the current service model, it has not kept pace with demand.
    It was explained to the Authority that the historical natural attrition rate for paramedics in the service through retirement or resignation stood at 40 to 50 paramedics per year. However, in 2013 the National Ambulance Service recruited only nine paramedic trainees and only 12 in 2014."

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

Fairly black and white there!

Fairly black and white there!

Another three nice little quote from the report
    "The ongoing effectiveness of this service in the provision of training for new and current staff has, however, been severely hampered in recent times due to non-recruitment of new staff and lack of availability of current staff for ongoing training. Failure to continue to train and maintain staffing levels runs the risk of undoing much of the progress made over the past decade. This needs to be reversed."

"The reduction of staff numbers results in an over-reliance on overtime and dropped shifts. This reduces the capacity of service provision and, given its already demanding baseline workload, also runs the risk of staff burnout due to persistent overtime on 12-hour shifts. In addition, given the need to pay regular overtime to maintain the roster, the high financial cost associated with overtime payment needs to be weighed against the potential benefit of alternate investment of this money into staff recruitment, to reduce this need for overtime"

" The Review Team also identified that the National Ambulance Service has failed to maintain recruitment of paramedics at a rate sufficient to replace those staff that leave the service. Declining paramedic numbers has resulted on a reliance on the payment of overtime to
    staff ambulance rosters, or in some cases the dropping of ambulance shifts. Both immediate and sufficient paramedic recruitment, and more effective ongoing workforce planning is required to address this problem."

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Anyone know if there was much uptake in the recent paramedic recruitment, ie: direct hse recruitment not student paramedic? Crews seem to be really stretched of late!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

University of Limerick are currently putting together a new paramedic training course which they hope to launch next year.

This will be a very interesting development in this area and I've no doubt there will be big interest in this option.

DK man wrote: »
    University of Limerick are currently putting together a new paramedic training course which they hope to launch next year.

This will be a very interesting development in this area and I've no doubt there will be big interest in this option.

UCD have one aswell which was ment to start next year but heard it's put back till 2016 they are three or four year courses so shouldn't matter for this panel to be exhausted may have an impact on other recruitment in the future but say a good few people would do it that way alright

Happy new year everybody :)
    Hopefully 2015 will bring a few more offers than 2014 did :)

• Advertisement

Happy new year everybody :)
    Hopefully 2015 will bring a few more offers than 2014 did :)

I'm looking forward to not having to give vague answers for start dates when my family ask!

I'm looking forward to not having to give vague answers for start dates when my family ask!

Don't think that will ever go away for you notting will be a sure thing until you are sitting in class on the first day other than that I'm treating everything as vague :)

I was sent a link to this today by somebody I know it's the NAS operational plan for 2015 it's up online haven't had a chance read most of it but I see it says they have plans to train 50 paramedics in 2015 but this maybe changed as they are awaiting a capacity review shortly so as we all know don't take it as gospel could change but some info anyway :)
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/publications/corporate/nasopplan15.pdf

I was sent a link to this today by somebody I know it's the NAS operational plan for 2015 it's up online haven't had a chance read most of it but I see it says they have plans to train 50 paramedics in 2015 but this maybe changed as they are awaiting a capacity review shortly so as we all know don't take it as gospel could change but some info anyway :)

Was wondering when this would emerge! Ta for that.

Well at least they didn't put 'up to' 50 Paramedics. The language is more definite than the 2014 service plan.

Or am I straws?
    Clutching??

Not holding me breath :0
    Was wondering when this would emerge! Ta for that.

Well at least they didn't put 'up to' 50 Paramedics. The language is more definite than the 2014 service plan.

Or am I straws?
    Clutching??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Strange to think it's coming up on 2 years since we did the aptitude tests

Happy anniversary!
    I never read through the entire thread for the last panel, but I wonder were they as slow to take from their panel initially as they are with this one?

It is isn't it it doesn't feel like two years although I've a job if you where unemployed waiting for this you would be gone mad :) all the excitement etc was great ah sure hopefully some more excitement to come soon

Happy anniversary!
    I never read through the entire thread for the last panel, but I wonder were they as slow to take from their panel initially as they are with this one?

Think there was four classes in 2011 which helped get trough them but think they had other problems aswell I think all panels are all slow it's the nature of them

• Advertisement

So according to the Irish Times today the HSE badly needs at least 259 paramedics in order to fulfill its requirements. Hmm, I wonder where they can be found? Anybody?

Advertisement