Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

McCoy wrote: »
    great.. booked a test and all 120e ffs !!!!

I've got it already but hey no harm having it I suppose ha

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

What's that D1 licence email about?
    I wonder why it's not a requirement anymore

The NAS no longer have vehicles in their fleet that require a D1 licence. In the past you were required to have the D1 based on the seating capacity of ambulances, the old ambulances with two stretchers could accommodate nine people sitting in the back plus one passenger and driver in the cab. In some regions you were also required to drive a mini bus as part of your working roster, this was the case in the East up to September 2012. New ambulances, or CEN compliant ambulances have a much lesser people capacity with room for just four in the back and two in the cab. Mini bus services are no longer operated by frontline paramedics.

I would take an educated guess and say that the above is part of the reason you no longer require a D1 licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

But ICO's still need to have D1 licence am I right?

D Trent wrote: »
    But ICO's still need to have D1 licence am I right?

Yeah I'd say so unless they change that at next recruitment but last time you had to have it

sjb25 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say so unless they change that at next recruitment but last time you had to have it

Well the ICO vehicles are really big
    I'd imagine they're D1 category?
    So I can't see that requirement changing

• Advertisement

D Trent wrote: »
    Well the ICO vehicles are really big
    I'd imagine they're D1 category?
    So I can't see that requirement changing

Big ones are C1 as far as i no D1 is only to do with passager accomadation and them big ICVs don't hold that many passengers

sjb25 wrote: »
    Big ones are C1 as far as i no D1 is only to do with passager accomadation and them big ICVs don't hold that many passengers

Ah rite thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The C1 category is based on vehicle weight, the D1 is based on passenger capacity. When the old 'two stretcher' ambulances were phased out and the yellow CEN compliant ambulance came on stream the passenger carrying capacity was reduced but the CEN ambulances weighed much more and the C1 licence was then required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Offers are out,,,,,,,,,,,,, seems a lot of people didn't accept places. Currently up the high 20's low 30's

adam88 wrote: »
    Offers are out,,,,,,,,,,,,, seems a lot of people didn't accept places. Currently up the high 20's low 30's

Did you get an offer Adam happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭McCoy

:)wohoo !

• Registered Users Posts: 49 herself_there

McCoy wrote: »
    :)wohoo !

Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Anyone hear anything back

28 jobs nice bit of movement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tallmedic

28 positions for trainee EMT's advertised this morning???? Anyone any idea's what the story is?

tallmedic wrote: »
    28 positions for trainee EMT's advertised this morning???? Anyone any idea's what the story is?

I'd say it should say student paramedic x28 it was sent to the student paramedic panel like the post used to be called trainee EMT they just put in the wrong title

• Registered Users Posts: 19 GAVINCC

Does anyone know what number on the panel was at the end of the last class, or near what number, I think it might have gotten to 38/39 would that be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

Are these from the existing panel or where are they advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tallmedic

Are these from the existing panel or where are they advertised?
    From the existing student paramedic panel

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭madmaxvideo

From the existing student paramedic panel

Ah right, I assume there 28 training positions from the panel, or is it separate recruitment? nice to see thing picking up pace all the same!! Anyone any idea how many is on the current panel and how many have took positions off the panel?

• Advertisement

Ah right, I assume there 28 training positions from the panel, or is it separate recruitment? nice to see thing picking up pace all the same!! Anyone any idea how many is on the current panel and how many have took positions off the panel?

It's for the panel in place as I said before they just got the title wrong clarification email just out its not any new recruitment

Clarification " You were issued an email earlier this morning regarding 28 Trainee Emergency Medical Technician positions. These are Student Paramedic posts. "

GAVINCC wrote: »
    Does anyone know what number on the panel was at the end of the last class, or near what number, I think it might have gotten to 38/39 would that be correct

Not sure what number they went up to but I do no of at least two people who could have been on the course but did not take it they are now accepting this offer so how far they got up to will be outweighed by people who did not accept now accepting places

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭palmtrees

Best of luck to you all who got your place this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 duck27

not to put anyone off or anything. but after all the hoops we have had to jump through, is this position really worth it. i would greatly appreciate if someone could provide the pros and cons of the role and any new developments within the service, good or bad.
    i have not submitted by email of interest as iam not sure and dont want to be taking up someone elses position.
    thanks

duck27 wrote: »
    not to put anyone off or anything. but after all the hoops we have had to jump through, is this position really worth it. i would greatly appreciate if someone could provide the pros and cons of the role and any new developments within the service, good or bad.
    i have not submitted by email of interest as iam not sure and dont want to be taking up someone elses position.
    thanks

I'm not in the service but For me personally yes I think it's worth it it what I want to to its all iv really wanted to do so I'm biased a bit but I suppose
    Pros
    The course itself is apparently fantastic
    Stable job with pension etc at the end
    Job progression if that's what you want (advanced paramedic/ officer roles)
    The actual job itself (as an EMT already I no it's something I enjoy)

Cons
    During training having to fund accomadation near school and placement areas
    Both while training and once qualified You could be based anywhere in the country ( but possibility of transfer at some stage)
    Being away from family at important times like Christmas etc
    Yes you have your shift say 12 hours but that shift could turn into anything so not noting finish time

But as iv said I am prepared to take on them cons as it's what I want to do yes there is problems in the service but it's never going to be perfect
    Really nobody can tell you it's amazing or it's to be avoided it's a personnel thing if it will suit you why not call down to your local ambulance station have a chat with the crews that's what I did at the start of recruitment and got both sides of the argument but I'm sure it's for me but what's for me may be not what's for you

Are you in a vol org like Red Cross St. John or omac or civil defence
    May also help you decide trough my vol I no many NAS EMTs paramedics and adv paramedics and they also helped me decide also trough my vol I did a couple of shifts with the NAS and that really made my mind up but as I said that's me I can't answer for you

thanks for the reply, i didnt email back my interest in the position.
    besides i prob wouldnt have got an offer iam in the 90's in order of merit.
    in the off chance i did get an offer iam not in a position to accept at the moment due to collage and work.
    my biggest concern would be a substantial pay cut and relocation from dublin after training would be completed. also having little choice in the decision is a huge deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

in the off chance i did get an offer iam not in a position to accept at the moment due to collage and work.
    my biggest concern would be a substantial pay cut and relocation from dublin after training would be completed. also having little choice in the decision is a huge deal breaker.

Then why did you apply in the first place? I'm sorry but these are things i would have looked into before applying for the job! The job requires commitment and to be honest if ya can't give it then move on.
    As for the pay.....no one gets into EMS for the salary! !!

To be honest I may have the same problems as you but am prepared to take all that as it's the job I want to do that shows it's a personnel thing as antichrist says we all got the info about wages and locations of training and after training when we applied if you feel it's not for you don't go for it no point doing something that won't make you happy
    Up to you at the end of the day

i was not expecting it to take this long. alot changes in 2 years.

• Advertisement

i was not expecting it to take this long. alot changes in 2 years. as regards the job specifications, i knew well what it involved. i would not have jumped through all the hoops if i didnt.

Advertisement