Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 corkemt

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea how many people are left on the panel and when do you think the hse may recruit again or if the will recruit at all before college degree program in 2016

I got my recommendation today to start the student paramedic programme in September. I'm in between panel number 70 - 80. Don't want to state actual number. Don't know how many are left on panel but hope the numbers are of help. I would personally think that the Nct recruitment of any would be around July 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gawley

If you count up the places that were advertised since panel went live back in August 2013. There are 81 gone off panel (this does not include people who have dropped out or who didn't express interest).

So the panel is at the very least at no. 81. You can work out where you are from there. There are rumors of one more class this year, let's hope it's a full one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Gawley wrote: »
    If you count up the places that were advertised since panel went live back in August 2013. There are 81 gone off panel (this does not include people who have dropped out or who didn't express interest).

So the panel is at the very least at no. 81. You can work out where you are from there. There are rumors of one more class this year, let's hope it's a full one:)

I'm not on the panel thats why i'm wondering how many are left on the current panel and when they will recruit again for a new panel

I'm not on the panel thats why i'm wondering how many are left on the current panel and when they will recruit again for a new panel

I would imagine there is about 60 left on the panel, not all them will take it and they train estimate between 40-50 per year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Looks like it's going to UCD after this current Panel has expired.

• Advertisement

Mycroft H wrote: »

There on about this ucd course for the past 4 years. I personally cannot see it being ready for the next closing date for courses in January and even if it is, it will be 2020 before they get a qualified paramedic from the degree college course so I would think they have to create another panel. There is too many paras due for retirement, moving to Dubai, changing careers, moving up to advanced paramedic level and so on. Open to opinions but no one ready knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Mycroft H wrote:

This makes me sad! Just about finished my nursing degree and really want to become a paramedic but not willing to do another 4 years in college!!
    corkemt wrote:
    There on about this ucd course for the past 4 years. I personally cannot see it being ready for the next closing date for courses in January and even if it is, it will be 2020 before they get a qualified paramedic from the degree college course so I would think they have to create another panel. There is too many paras due for retirement, moving to Dubai, changing careers, moving up to advanced paramedic level and so on. Open to opinions but no one ready knows.
    This makes slightly hopeful! Hope you are right corkemt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

I was told before this panel was formed that the 2010 recruitment would be the last panel formed because it was going CAO was told not to bother rushing to get my C1..... Lucky I didn't listen Even if the UCD course starts next September it will be what 3 maybe 4 years before any of them are qualified?
    I'd be very surprised if there wasn't another panel formed next year at some point
    Iv heard numbers around the 150mark are on the panel so that's maybe 3 more classes hearing ALOT of rumours of 1 more this year in October and another in February/March I stress RUMOURS but from well informed people so if that's true then you are looking at only one more class to go after that next year and with a brand new college only opened in tallagh they won't leave that idel for 3-4 years either just my opinion but I'd say there will be another panel next year

I cant see there not being another panel, I would imagine that when the CAO way comes in they will need a panel to fill the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Mycroft H wrote: »

Where did you get this information from. Scaremongering people is not useful

• Advertisement

Guys have any of the rest of ye been offered a place or know of people who have been offered a place in the student paramedic September class, ballinasloe. Just trying to track a few down??

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

I'd imagine they'll have to continue recruiting directly..

Say 3 colleges fire out 100 paras a year at best...I doubt they'll all apply to the NAS...some are bound to move to another course, change jobs, go abroad etc. So the NAS can't rely on colleges for supply.

The UK spits out loads of college route paras but still can't cover all the vacancies so lots of trusts still recruit students.

valid point there 19hz, the CAO Paramedics wont be contractually obligated to serve with the NAS, they can go work wherever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

Folks,

I think you are all forgetting that there were a number of people included from the old panel for the first class.

As such, and with the next class of 12 due in September, that makes 50 from the newly formed panel. I know this as I rang Manorhamilton when the last offers went out to see where I was in the order of merit.

Panel A went up to anywhere from 170 to 200 people, Leaving anywhere from 120 to 150 people left. There is also a Panel B which the HSE/NAS have the option of drafting from.

Do I see all of Panel A being used, yes... Do I see Panel B being used, some perhaps.

Will they form another Panel? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

adam88 wrote: »
    Where did you get this information from. Scaremongering people is not useful

UCD themselves. Not scaremongering here.
    Hi Mycroft,

Thank you for your interest in the UCD Diploma in Emergency Medical Science/Paramedic Programme. The HSE National Recruitment Service completed a recruitment campaign in April 2013 and there is a panel now in place for the next 3 to 5 intakes of students. It is planned that a UCD Bachelor of Science in Emergency Medical Science (BSc EMS) will replace the current Dip EMS structure. This is not scheduled to commence until September 2016 and the four year programme and syllabus is currently being finalised. Entry paths for school leavers, mature students, existing emergency services staff, recognition of prior learning etc. are also being determined at this stage.

Any updates will be posted to our website at the following link: UCD Centre for EMS Please therefore refer to this site, which should address all frequently asked questions about the programme.

In the meantime however, we are not in a position to address specific questions about the programme. However, we will add your contact details to our database of prospective students and will send you full details as soon as they are published.

I hope this helps and renewed thanks for your interest in a career in Emergency Medical Science.

​Kind Regards,
    Jacintha

Jacintha Vallely, Programme Manager, UCD Centre for Emergency Medical Science,
    School of Medicine and Medical Sciences, C110 Health Sciences Centre, Belfield, Dublin 4
    Tel 01 716 6665 | Fax 01 716 6549 | cics@ucd.ie | www.ucd.ie/centreems/

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭19hz

Did anyone manage to find out if people will come out of this college course with AP or Para PHECC reg?

I'd bet my house on the HSE continuing to recruit directly for students...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Apologies I'm sure this has been asked before but my hubby is interested in becoming a parametic .He currently volunteers with the local civil defence and is going to get his licence for driving the ambulance .

What's the next step, does he have to wait for the training to be announced before he does anything .Is it full-time training? I had heard it was like a paid apprenticeship, is that correct?

Any links/info would be appreciated.

toadfly wrote: »
    Apologies I'm sure this has been asked before but my hubby is interested in becoming a parametic .He currently volunteers with the local civil defence and is going to get his licence for driving the ambulance .

What's the next step, does he have to wait for the training to be announced before he does anything .Is it full-time training? I had heard it was like a paid apprenticeship, is that correct?

Any links/info would be appreciated.

Hi first of all here is the link to the information booklet we got when we applied it has nearly all the information you will need is in it at answers mostly all possible questions

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/publication/document/NRS0845_Additional_Campaign_Information_Student_Paramedic.pdf

But basically he has to get on a panel to go forward for training he will need to wait untill a new recruitment is advertised when and even if that happens is a matter of debate I personally think it will be at some point next year
    So he should register with public jobs.ie to receive alerts for recruitment the link I posted has a guide on how to to that

Once it is advertise he will have to meet the criteria to go forward to aptitude these last time this was:
    Be in possession of a minimum of five passes in the Leaving Certificate Examination at Ordinary Level (or EU academic equivalent), including Mathematics and a Science subject (i.e. Physics, Chemistry or Biology)
    Exceptions are:
    -A Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) EMT Certificate is acceptable in lieu of Science subject
    -A Primary Degree from a recognised third level institution is acceptable in lieu of Leaving Certificate
    AND
    (B) Be the holder of a full unendorsed Class C1 Driving Licence on application. (Note UK 101 Restriction, NI 79 (NFHR) Restriction & Irish 78 Restriction is not acceptable) by closing date for application
    Once u meet all that you do aptitude tests and interviews then hopefully at the end be placed on a panel if successfull

The training is full time takes about two years and yes it is paid €25,447 per year training is done in dublin or ballinasloe

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blackbetty35

Any rumours for another class this year anyone??? Or solid number that panel has gone up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blackbetty35

Any rumours for another class this year anyone??? Or solid number that panel has gone up to?

• Advertisement

Have heard that there may be a class in November had heard October but that seems to be out the window at this stage and November is the rumour now iv heard anyway if that doesn't happen I'd say it will be next year

As for numbers somewhere between 75-80s I think can't narrow it down any more than that I'm afraid

As I said take all that with a barrel of salt untill anything official

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sj efr

HSE have just started recruitment for ICO coarse don't know if this will affect us or if so how

hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS02848.html

Just add www. To the above link

sj efr wrote: »
    HSE have just started recruitment for ICO coarse don't know if this will affect us or if so how

hse.ie/eng/staff/Jobs/Job_Search/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS02848.html

Just add www. To the above link

It won't it's a different post altogether

X30 places start date November

sjb25 wrote: »
    X30 places start date November

Do you have a link? Thanks

Do you have a link? Thanks

Was sent to the panel in place by email are you on the panel

Was sent to the panel in place by email are you on the panel

No, my husband is doing his test to get his licence at the minute. So its for people already approved for the panel and not to get onto the panel?

Sorry, I read it wrong, thanks for clarifying.

Have heard that there may be a class in November had heard October but that seems to be out the window at this stage and November is the rumour now iv heard anyway if that doesn't happen I'd say it will be next year

As for numbers somewhere between 75-80s I think can't narrow it down any more than that I'm afraid

As I said take all that with a barrel of salt untill anything official

The September class has brought the panel to number 80 :)

No, my husband is doing his test to get his licence at the minute. So its for people already approved for the panel and not to get onto the panel?

Sorry, I read it wrong, thanks for clarifying.

Yes offered to people already on the panel :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how long after the closing date for expressions of interest it is before offers are sent out?

Just adding up the positiions that have been advertised since this panel went live, this 30 brings it to 111.

(that doesnt include what was left over from previous panel, also there may have been people higher up on panel who didnt take offer before and who may do so now but it gives a ball park figure)

Advertisement