Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May Beers

Options
  • 04-04-2013 10:19am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's time for another thread to decide when and where we have the next Beers :)

*cue shouting, catcalls, cheers*

Alright, alright, enough of that. I'm opening this one up to a poll for the dates because I'd usually avoid having a Beers on a bank holiday weekend, but the nearest alternative is before payday, to which I say :(

*boos, etc*

Quiet, you lot!

There's also the question of location - I'm leaning towards West London on the basis that I don't think we've had an outing there since the boards.org.uk days, so we're probably overdue. I'm open to suggestions for food and beverage repositories, especially from anyone local.

What date in May is best for the next Beers? 16 votes

Saturday May 4th (Bank Holiday)
    0%
    Saturday May 11th
    0%
    Saturday May 18th
    62%
    biZrbWodenBrokenArrowsfrag420spacelucyReekwindcrunchie84helpwanted01Woolly_JumperZippy1991 10 votes
    Saturday May 25th
    25%
    enda1Jack B. Baddsilvervixen84pirateninja 4 votes
    Other (post in-thread)
    12%
    rainbow kirby83ste 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Other (post in-thread)
    None of the above, I'm afraid.

Also, 27th is the Ghost Tour...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

serrity wrote: »
    None of the above, I'm afraid.

Also, 27th is the Ghost Tour...

Drat, you're right. Scratch the 27th of April so.

I've re-done the poll for all of May, any of them suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

I had a full post of recommendations done but you went and changed the thread and I got an error!

Will repost when i've time later

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had a full post of recommendations done but you went and changed the thread and I got an error!

Will repost when i've time later

Nuts, sorry 'bout that :o This is clearly not my day...

**** happens.

(But i am considering directing you to some of West London's more 'entertaining' venues and then not turning up)

• Advertisement

Attempt No. 2

Don't know how West you want but:

Notting Hill Gate/Ladbroke grove/Westbourne Park tubes:
    The Elgin
    The Pelican
    Churchill Arms
    Windsor Castle
    The Metropolitan

Food: Depends on pub but Fez Mangal or Electric Diner for top 2, somewhere on Westbourne Grove like Lucky No.7 for bottom 3.

Kensal Rise:

Paradise
    The Parlour

Both do food but are a bit pricey. There's a Good Life Diner nearby and Neapolitan pizza in Sacre Cuoro (sp?)

Shepherds Bush:

Don't really know pubs in the area, ask Choccie Lover

Food: Kerbisher & Malt is awesome for Fish & Chips but tiny. Plenty of places in Westfield like Wahaca

Hammersmith:

There's a lovely Iranian place on king's St that gives huge portions. For drinks we could go to one of the places down by the river. Been to the Black Lion a few times and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Am I destined to ever make a beers.... I'm around the first and third weekends in May :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Saturday May 18th
    Moving from Windsor to Ealing this Month so i can now attend the Beers. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

May is a crazy month for me. Got 2 stags back to back in different countries. Doubt I'll be able to make it.

Playboy wrote: »
    May is a crazy month for me. Got 2 stags back to back in different countries. Doubt I'll be able to make it.

I'm booked up for 3 of the 4 weekends. I can only really do the 18th myself, but I figured I'd post the thread and see if we end up with another Rebel Session or whatever the last NotBeers was called.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Moving from Windsor to Ealing this Month so i can now attend the Beers. \o/

Ealing beers, you say? I recommend the North Star - great variety of beers, lively place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I'll go.

I want to go

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Other (post in-thread)
    Can now do the 18th as well as the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Attempt No. 2

Don't know how West you want but:

Notting Hill Gate/Ladbroke grove/Westbourne Park tubes:
    The Elgin
    The Pelican
    Churchill Arms
    Windsor Castle
    The Metropolitan

Food: Depends on pub but Fez Mangal or Electric Diner for top 2, somewhere on Westbourne Grove like Lucky No.7 for bottom 3.

Kensal Rise:

Paradise
    The Parlour

Both do food but are a bit pricey. There's a Good Life Diner nearby and Neapolitan pizza in Sacre Cuoro (sp?)

Shepherds Bush:

Don't really know pubs in the area, ask Choccie Lover

Food: Kerbisher & Malt is awesome for Fish & Chips but tiny. Plenty of places in Westfield like Wahaca

Hammersmith:

There's a lovely Iranian place on king's St that gives huge portions. For drinks we could go to one of the places down by the river. Been to the Black Lion a few times and liked it.

Sorry, a bit late coming back to this one.

As for pubs in Shepherds Bush, I think Defectors Weld is the best.

Quite like the Hammersmith idea though. The pubs by the river are really nice but I've only been there during the day for food and a quick drink. What are they like by night?

Sorry, a bit late coming back to this one.

As for pubs in Shepherds Bush, I think Defectors Weld is the best.

Quite like the Hammersmith idea though. The pubs by the river are really nice but I've only been there during the day for food and a quick drink. What are they like by night?

On a decent summer's night? Crowded!

Defectors Weld is alright. The Queen's Head (in Brook Green) has a decent beer garden and is between the Bush and Hammersmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

old hippy wrote: »
    On a decent summer's night? Crowded!

Defectors Weld is alright. The Queen's Head (in Brook Green) has a decent beer garden and is between the Bush and Hammersmith.

Can't say I know that pub. Is that the hotel?

Can't say I know that pub. Is that the hotel?

Nah, but it's the other side of the road, as you walk down past the tennis courts.

72 or 220 from the Bush or 5 mins walk (max) from Hammersmith.

Just my suggestion, mind. Defectors has a beer garden but it's tiny. More a beer shed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The Queen's Head is my after work local. Never been there at the weekend though.

How busy does the beer garden get? How busy does the pub even get?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The Queen's Head is my after work local. Never been there at the weekend though.

How busy does the beer garden get? How busy does the pub even get?

One of my after work locals too :D

Good weather means it does get busy but hell, you know the size of it. You could fit half of London in there! *

* not strictly true

• Advertisement

Saturday May 18th
    Is this going ahead tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Saturday May 25th
    I'll be around in the late afternoon/early evening, wouldn't mind meeting up at that point.

Is this going ahead tomorrow?

In "official" terms the wheels have kind of fallen off this one - I'm away this weekend so can't co-ordinate it myself, and I don't think many folks have planned on turning up.

In saying that, if any of ye want to meet up somewhere, I say go for it.

Saturday May 18th
    Fysh wrote: »
    In "official" terms the wheels have kind of fallen off this one - I'm away this weekend so can't co-ordinate it myself, and I don't think many folks have planned on turning up.

In saying that, if any of ye want to meet up somewhere, I say go for it.

Ok cool.

Anyone else up for a few?

I'll go for a few drinks. Not much interest in food.

Saturday May 18th
    Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    I'll go for a few drinks. Not much interest in food.

Sure who needs food.

Ok so that makes three. Any suggestions for a place?

I'm based in Ealing and new to the area so don't really have any preferences on where we go. I don't mind a trip on the tube to go somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Saturday May 18th
    Have committed to a cycle on Sun morning so will prob give this a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Saturday May 18th
    Hey, I'll be around later in the evening!

The Swan on Bayswater road? I've never been into it, but I pass by it every day.

• Advertisement

Saturday May 18th
    Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    The Swan on Bayswater road? I've never been into it, but I pass by it every day.

Sounds like a plan. 8pm?

Advertisement