Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSOne Classics on Vita/PSP? Ruining the Experience?

Options
  • 04-04-2013 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

I've downloaded a few classics on my PSN account since 2008, PSOne games which I enjoyed playing when originally released and which I can now relive through current platforms. I also think that it's a great way for a lot of younger games to experience fantastic titles from the last few decades and see some of the games which inspired franchises and current ideas.

Of course, part of me wonders whether playing a PSOne title like Final Fantasy 7 on a portable device does it justice? The price of the games on the PSN are quite reasonable, especially considering what an original copy of the game might cost you from a retro games retailer, but I do often feel a little sad that a game which once encapsulated so much of my youth can now be played casually on a portable device. I know that you can also play it on the PS3, but I wondered whether anyone here had played these types of involving PSOne titles on the move, and what their feelings were on this?

I also wonder if a desire to collect retro PSOne titles and download them to your PS3/PSP/Vita also stopped you from collecting or seeking these older titles in their original format?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I missed my stop far too many times to mention playing MGS on my Vita. I don't think it spoils the experience but I suppose it's the same argument for people who watch movies/TV shows on their phones or tablets really. Different strokes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I found that the smaller screen is a lot more forgiving to the original PSOne graphics as opposed to my 40" main screen.

That said, I do miss the experience of closing off from the rest of the world and playing away on a TV but being realistic, if I didn't embrace handheld gaming, I wouldn't play anywhere near as much as I currently do.

Currently finishing up Tomba on the Vita after missing it for PS1 years ago and delighted i did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

RedXIV wrote: »
    I do miss the experience of closing off from the rest of the world and playing away

That was precisely my problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I also wonder if a desire to collect retro PSOne titles and download them to your PS3/PSP/Vita also stopped you from collecting or seeking these older titles in their original format?

Nope, definitely not in my case. I'll always go for the original media where possible. This landed through the door yesterday, & while I could have easily gotten it digitally, I just prefer it that way

346mkv9.jpg

There's just too many questions for me when it comes to buying digitally. When PSN is discontinued for the PS3 eventually, & my PS3 dies...are all the digital titles lost? There'll be no way to retrieve them PS3 wise. If they tie them to my SEN account, will they make these titles available for the PS4? Will I have to pay for them again?

No thanks. Give me the physical game, at least I know no matter what happens to my PS3, PS2 or PS1, that I'll have it here & will work on a replacement console should the need arise. Granted the price of buying digitally is quite attractive, it doesn't outweigh having a physical collection imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

I personally prefer to lock myself away for the story driven games, for instance I don't think anyone will experience the walking dead game the same way as consoles gamers did when it gets released for vita. I'd also rather have the retail copys of games, bought the psn versions of Final Fantasy series to play wherever, my mint retail copys are locked away in bubble wrap lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement