Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping chickens in the suburbs

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

yes, I think the biggest mistake new hen-keepers can make is having their hens in a the tiny spaces that these new coop makers/sellers are producing. Can you imagine been 'cooped' up in such a limited space all day long - feather pecking is a real symptom of boredom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Just thought I'd update things...

My two problems - one hen laying outside and another sleeping in the nest boxes - seem to have resolved. I left fake eggs in the nest boxes and eventually the hen that was laying outside started to lay where she was supposed to be laying. After a week I removed the fake eggs and, lo and behold, the other hen has stopped sleeping in the nest boxes! I'm thinking she might have been trying to keep the fake eggs warm at night.

So I no longer have to go on an egg hunt every evening or wash chicken s**t off eggs. :cool: I'm getting 3 eggs a day from 4 hens, so I'm delighted with things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Thought I'd jump into this thread instead of starting a new one. I've read most of the posts and the information given here is super. I've been thinking about keeping 3 or 4 hens for a while now and since Im going on maternity leave in two months, no better time to get started.

Just looking for thoughts on the plan Im forming for the housing/run. Was thinking of converting my wooden garden shed into a nest/roost space for night, and building a moveable chicken run for daytime (I'll gladly leave them free range around the garden at times). Im no carpenter but from looking at photos of runs, they seem like something that would be easy to put together yourself.

Is it okay to have these two spaces unconnected or should the hens be able to move between them all day?

Would it be sufficient to have a simple shelter built inside the run to allow them to get shade during the day?

Should I put a nest box in the run or the shed, or both? I would be planning to move the hens outside to the run by 10am each morning, and put them back into the shed when it starts getting dark.

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

livinsane wrote: »
    Thought I'd jump into this thread instead of starting a new one. I've read most of the posts and the information given here is super. I've been thinking about keeping 3 or 4 hens for a while now and since Im going on maternity leave in two months, no better time to get started.

Just looking for thoughts on the plan Im forming for the housing/run. Was thinking of converting my wooden garden shed into a nest/roost space for night, and building a moveable chicken run for daytime (I'll gladly leave them free range around the garden at times). Im no carpenter but from looking at photos of runs, they seem like something that would be easy to put together yourself.

Is it okay to have these two spaces unconnected or should the hens be able to move between them all day?

Would it be sufficient to have a simple shelter built inside the run to allow them to get shade during the day?

Should I put a nest box in the run or the shed, or both? I would be planning to move the hens outside to the run by 10am each morning, and put them back into the shed when it starts getting dark.

Thanks for any advice.

Converting your garden shed is a good idea. they will have plenty of space there. You could put up some tree branches etc as roosts. Think about cleaning it from the point of putting something on the floor - they will poop in there. An old sheet of lino covered with newspapers or straw or something. Hygiene is really imporatant - read my recent entries on the dreaded red-mite battle :mad:
    I would put nest boxes in the shed - they will go there to lay. Line an old (two nest boxes would be better) veg box or similar with some newspaper and straw. You could put a shop bought (!) egg into the nest boxes so that the hens will 'get' the idea. Prob a good idea not to let them free range until after they have laid in their nest boxes - otherwise they could get into (prob will!) the habit of laying out!

If your coop is not connected to the run, how will you get them into the run?? They will certainly NOT want to go into a run when they can free range! The bigger the space you can allocate to the run the better. Cant emphasise this enough as an experienced hen-keeper :rolleyes: If you can cover the run with a net or some sort to keep wild birds out of the run - they will eat more food than the hens and bring disease/pests

Buy 4 rather than 3 - introducing new hens to an existing flock can be a pain. Hens are great - lovely healthy eggs, and the hens are great company when they get used to you :D Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

livinsane wrote: »
    Should I put a nest box in the run or the shed, or both? I would be planning to move the hens outside to the run by 10am each morning..
    You can't be guaranteed they will lay the eggs before 10 am. at a guess I'd say 50% or less by then.

Moving the hens between the shed and the run twice a day will be a pain. I'd suggest a permanent run attached to the shed, as big as space permits, and then another simple moveable ark that you can put them into later in the afternoon, weather permitting and if you get round to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Thanks for the replies, I'll take your advice and build the run onto the existing shed. I have plenty space for a nice big run.

Now to find a new home for the lawnmower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

@livinsane, a tip when you're building the run: bring the wire down a foot or 18" below the ground, and out the same amount, so that any foxes that may try to burrow underneath get frustrated and give up.

Advertisement