Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DLC verdict

Options
  • 04-04-2013 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Now that we all have time to play the DLC what is your final verdict (you might exclude weapons in the DLC, solely focus on the maps).

Verdict from a PS3 player:-

Back to Karkand: 8/10. Very very good... only snag is that Wake Island conquest is boring on console and Gulf of Oman is good for conquest but ruined with at least 25% of the players hiding 100 metres up "sniping"

Rush is mainly excellent on all maps.

Close Quarters: 2/10. I don't know why I am giving it even a 2... perhaps 1 point for trolling with C4 and getting banned and another for the graphics. Otherwise I hate it and everything it stands for with Col 100 Assault Noobs spamming it.

Armored Kill: 4/10. Conquest is not suitable for console with Bandar Dessert being the ultimate borefest.

Rush would be excellent but the Gunship pisses me off so much I couldn't be bothered anymore.

Aftermath: 9/10. The only DLC where Conquest and Rush is equally good on console. Maps are the perfect size, have incredible detail and the matches are amazing. I love all maps with the only possible drawbacks being the yellow tint and the boring snipers on M. Monolith conquest (as usual)

End Game: 7/10. I really like Rush on all maps, very good, no complaints. Conquest is okay, find that 5 flagged maps dont work on console as it is merely a "jump on bike, drive to flag, cap flag, move" game. Disappointing really. Jets again ruin the maps more by taking a further 2 players from each team away making Nebandan Flats and the Snow map pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mouche

I didn't play End Game yet, but Back to Karkand is my favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mouche wrote: »
    I didn't play End Game yet, but Back to Karkand is my favourite!

B2k- 9/10 4 excellent maps for rush and conquest, happy days.

Close quarters- 4.5/10 good for a laugh with a few friends when you dont want to take the game too seriously, great fun with a shottie and pdw

Armoured kill- 2/10- thats being generous

Aftermath-8/10 good maps for rush and conquest, scavanger a fun little side game from time to time

End game- 8/10. Very good maps for rush, conquest is hit and miss but really enjoy ctf which was a great addition

Armoured kill was hyped up to the last and flopped so badly imo. Christ this game has my hardrive full to the brim :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Ak getting slated here, its quite good with 64 players.

The battles for the Gunship flag are decent and have decent approaches for all out carnage.

Bandar comes into its own with 64 then its brilliant if your team has F, all out carnage on the beach front and the sky/land battle for G.

Suppose you console fags will understand it when BF4 has 64 players on console :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

B2K was the only DLC I feel was worth it tbh. Could definitly have done without the rest. Will know in future for Battlefield 4 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jonqwe

Anyone know which will be the best PC package to get.
    The DLC pre release is too expensive.
    Any idea how much it will be in the shops??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭allybhoy

PS3 player here.

B2K 10\10 :- Loved, loved loved this pack, Gulf of Oman is still my favourite Map and Sharqi would be in my top 3 aswell.

CQ 4\10 :- Not mad on nearly all these, exepct for Ziba Tower, which is my little dirty secret, I adore this map for sheer mayhem. GM is good craic aswell

AK 5\10 :- Probably the least played DLC out of all them, only really played TS for unlocks, found the maps too large for console and there was never enough action. Alborz Mountain was my favourite but none of these maps would make my top 5 or 10 list. Was good to see the quads back though

AM 7\10 :- After the previous 2 DLC's i really enjoyed this pack, for some reason it reminded me of BC2 Vietnam. There is a great addition of perspective in some of the maps aswell as tunnels and crawlspaces. Scavenger was irrelevant though

EG 8\10 :- 2nd fav DLC behind B2K. Maps are just right size wise for console and the dirtbikes and CTF are great additions. Dont think you could ever get bored with C4 on a dirtbike, or the sheer terror you feel when you see one racing towards you.

Cant remember what i paid in total for the premium pack, think it was something like €40. When i consider that i have nearly 200 hours racked up and the majority of these would be on DLC then i think its excellent value for money. I would say 80% of my time is spent playing DLC so thats a 100 odd hours for 40 euro. Of the original 9 maps that shipped I still love and play Seine Crossing, Grand Bazaar and Kharg Island but rarely if ever play any of the others.

Would be interesting to see peoples favourite maps actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

b2k -9/10 Wake island being the only disappointment. Gulf of oman one of the best maps in the game

CQ - 5/10 alot of fun during double Xp and for a few quick games.

AK- 1/10 hated it and it lead me to giving up on Bf3 for almost 6 months

aftermath - 7/10 not bad really but haven't played it as much as the others

end game - 8/10 good maps and a bit like the original maps that came with the game

ps3 player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Played AK for 6 glorious straight months :).

C4 still ruled all :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

B2K: 9/10
    CQ: 5/10
    AK: 2/10
    Aftermath: 8/10
    End Game: 8/10

on PC. Armoured Kill was so poor. It had so much potential but it failed to deliver. 64 player is the best way to play but it still feels poorly executed. B2K is fantastic, Aftermath is solid and enjoyable, End Game also good. Close Quarters I have reservations about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

B2K: 9/10
    CQ: 5/10
    AK: 2/10
    Aftermath: 8/10
    End Game: 8/10

on PC. Armoured Kill was so poor. It had so much potential but it failed to deliver. 64 player is the best way to play but it still feels poorly executed. B2K is fantastic, Aftermath is solid and enjoyable, End Game also good. Close Quarters I have reservations about.

I am very surprised a PC player gave AK 2/10... isn't that the playform it was aiming for. Why is it not good? Surely Band Des 64 player is great?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mozattack wrote: »
    I am very surprised a PC player gave AK 2/10... isn't that the playform it was aiming for. Why is it not good? Surely Band Des 64 player is great?

I just don't like the map design. I personally feel it wasn't well thought out and quite frankly lazy. It had potential to layout buildings better etc but instead you got wide open plains which to me is boring.

If AK only had a limit of 32 players or less I'd give 1/10. I'm being generous at 2/10 because 64 player is slightly more bearable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Back to Karkand - 9/10 Loved this DLC, Karkand was one of my favorite maps in Battlefield 2 so was delighted to see it back. Wake Island was good for jihad bikes :)

Close Quarters - 2/10 Really not into this, I will play a round of it if mates are playing but otherwise I just stay away from it. Close Quarters was not part of the battlefield I grew up with.

Armored Kill - 6/10 Unfortunately when this was released I was playing DayZ & Wasteland all the time so didn't get much play out of it. I have had some good fun with the jets on these maps though. Alborz Mountains is a gorgeous map.

Aftermath - 8/10 Great maps on Conquest, love the fact there are multiple ways to get to places. Lots of C4 fun on these maps too. Haven't played Scavenger much, its ok I guess.

End Game - 10/10 BIKES!!! C4 BIKES!!! The best addition to the game, I cant get enough of strapping C4 to these things & throwing them at tanks. The maps are great also, very well made & designed. Im a complete jet whore also so I did enjoy the few round of air Superiority on servers WITHOUT heat seekers.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Back to Karkand - 9/10

Contains two of my favourite maps, both of which would be in my top two overall maps in Gulf of Oman and Strike at Karkand. Liked Shaqiri Peninsula too for Rush, for CQ and CQA it was a bit meh. As for Wake Island, Wake Island was my first Battlefield experience of any kind after playing it in 1943. Was very much looking forward to it but while I don't hate it by any means, compared to the other maps I mentioned above, it's a notch down I feel. I think the console vs PC debate comes into the play here with regards to play count. Probably the difference between me giving the DLC a nine or ten.

Close Quarters - 6/10

Donya Fortress and Ziba Tower were great fun usually. I really disliked Operation Scrapmental and was indifferent to Operation 925. Didn't play it all too much but the DLC served it's purpose so yeah..

Despite being a massive fan of Gun Game in COD, Gun Master didn't do much for me.

Armoured Kill - 3/10

I'm only giving it a 3 for the sheer fact that I love the colour pallet (Bandar Desert and Alborz Mountain namely) used, Alborz Mountain in general is a beautiful map and the pace change while slow, was quite nice at times after all the hectic-ness from the other maps every now and again. But again, it comes back to the ol console vs PC BF3 experience debate at the end of the day and that's where it's let down.

Aftermath - 7/10

Arguably the best all rounder DLC, but I dunno, maybe it's just me but it was the one containing the most try hard, assault players out of any of the DLC too. I'm a try hard myself but I'm a try hard with an EOD Bot let alone all the best guns :pac:, coming up against what it felt like M16A3, AEK, F2000 and the best PDW to use players constantly took some shine off of Aftermath for me. Perhaps it's harsh of me to hold that against the DLC. Whether I'am or not aside, it's a damn shame this didn't come out earlier. Say in the summer of last year instead of AK.

I particularly liked Azadi Palace and Markaz Monolith out of the four maps.

End Game - 8/10

Bikes and CTF. Loved the inclusion of both even if CTF is a bit broken by how far into the enemy spawn you can travel and wait for their choppers and tanks to spawn! Nabaldan map aside, I love the other three maps for CTF. CQ is alright as is Rush but yeah, was all about CTF for me. Kinda like said above for Aftermath, shame it didn't come out earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I've played on both PC and Console and have to say, the DLC's score similarly for me regardless of platform.

B2K - 9/10 Excellent DLC, great maps, weapons and dat Nostalgia Factor.

Close Quarters - 8/10 It offered something different, 64 man CQ is a ****ing cluster**** that you just cant take seriously but can very much enjoy. The strength of BF3 is that is has, by far, the best gun play of any FPS...this played up on that.

Armoured Kill - 6/10 It launched flawed and never really quite got its balance for me. Tank Superiority was a complete miss, not enough vehicles and not being able to spawn on squad mates being a huge flaw.

Aftermath - an honest 10/10 from me. By far the best map design of any FPS game of recent time...i was honestly blown away and giddy the first time I play Epicenter. Some new weapons besides the crossbow would have been nice but months after release the beauty of this map pack is still apparent.

End Game - 7/10 A bit of a miss for me, although that may simply be down to the community feeling a little tired right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

B2K and Aftermath the only ones worth mentioning imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

I'm glad im not the only one who thought CQ was crap, i thought it was a senseless meat-grinder; almost like they tried to emulate the pace of MW2.

Advertisement