Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Bluescreen thread - reinstalled windows now still happening.

Options
  • 04-04-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

I've a custom built pc. Was working fine for 4-5 months.

Has been randomly bluescreening shortly after logging into windows, or sometimes instantly after logging into windows, for the past couple of days.

Has not been bluescreening in safe mode, so I believe it rules out hardware.

I've logged into windows and disabled all start up items and all non-windows services. Problem persists.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the video card drivers.

The bluescreen errors are different. irql_not_less_or_equal page_fault_in_nonpaged_area etc.

I haven't added any new hardware recently. Software wise I can't really saw for certain because it's my mothers PC and she has no idea what could have caused it.

If there is some way of me extracting information that might be able to help, or if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

I'm running Prime95 on my pc and I'm going to post Bluescreen results as they happen.
    Stop: 0x0000007E
    *** iusb3xhc.sys

New bluescreen
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    Stop: 0x0000003B

Another:
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    0x0000000A

this one again:
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    Stop: 0x0000003B

next:
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    0x00000050

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Get Nirsoft's BlueScreenView.

Torqay wrote: »
    Get Nirsoft's BlueScreenView.

I've got that. Installed it and I dunno what to be doing with it.

Once I install BlueScreenView... what next? Shall I export something and copy it here... is that what you're saying?

When you run it, you should see all BSOD events (newest on top). Should help you identifying the culprit.

I've done a clean boot (by disabling start up items and non-microsoft services) as is recommended for SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Now I've changed the setting of my Virtual Memory with a Minimum of 4066MB and a Maximum of 12006MB. as is recommended for IRQL_NOT LESS_OR_EQUAL

I also reinstalled my chipset and video drivers... fingers crossed I don't get another bluescreen.

• Advertisement

Bluescreened again... found this
    "Run SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
    You may need to run it 2-3 times to "fix" everything.

Then run RAM - Test with Memtest86+
    Leave it to run overnight if possible."

Going to try this tonight... :)

iusb3xhc.sys is the Intel USB 3.0 driver. Could be a device (or driver belonging to a device) attached to the USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks fellas - there were so many problems that I eventually gave in and reinstalled windows.

Gosh Darn it - I decided to install Windows again and it's still bluescreening. Actually it was giving me grief during the install process, I had to try installing three times before it finally worked.

I ran memtest over night and no issues with the memory. I'm just using the onboard graphics now (I removed the graphics card before I installed windows) and I've removed any extra hard drives. I also removed the old keyboard mouse and monitor in case for some strange reason they had something to do with it, because of the usb error I recieved on the old windows.

All that's connected now is a new working keyboard mouse and monitor. The motherboard, ram, cpu and cooler, the powersupply and the SSD hard drive.

Has anyone get any suggestions?

Ive run a 'cpu diagnostics tool' on it and it pass. Ram passed.

I'm thinking maybe it's the motherboard...

I have another power supply I could connect and try out to rule out the power supply.

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Along with PSU and Motherboard

Could be hard drive.

Try any diskchecker tool.

Partition Wizard Home Edition is handy.

Also install all of Windows Updates to date. Simple things often overlooked.

Any chance it's overheating? Re-apply thermal paste?

• Advertisement

Did you install the "offending" USB 3.0 driver again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Torqay wrote: »
    Did you install the "offending" USB 3.0 driver again?
    If you are running Windows 7 I wouldn't. I would update Windows completely. USB 3.0 used to/still does cause all sorts of problems with Windows 7.

I had a couple of bluescreen errors that gave me hassle, and updating fixed them all.
    The only one i can say for sure that i now know what caused it, was a Nvidia card.

The other ones i never figured out. Just must've been a bug.

Will try your disk checker tool recommendation Allyall thanks

Torq I didn't install any drivers yet. I just fresh install and updated windows. It's installed it own drivers from windows update which it using right now. I have downloaded the latest drivers but haven't installed them yet. I've never had a computer blue screen after a fresh windows install, untouched. I've been building PC's since before the year 2000. So I would be mega surprised if it was necessary to install a usb 3.0 driver on a new install or else your computers going to bluescreen. I've built three of these exact same pcs for friends and family recently because they're so good and none have behaved this way, even without any drivers installed.

I have tested the disc with some other software before and the ram, so I'm guessing PSU (which I can swap out) or else it's the motherboard (which I don't have a spare of the exact same model lying around.)

This many faults... My money is on the Motherboard

I only ever buy quality components to try and minimise the chances of this happening. Intel i5, Gigabyte Z77, Arctic Cooling Freezer i30, Crucial M4 SSD, Corsair Ram, Antec/Seasonic PSU. Just goes to show you buy high quality parts you aren't immune.

I love computers but god damn do I hate faulty ones.

p.s thanks for your input... im gonna start tearing this thing apart soon and return the mobo after some more testing just to make sure im not wasting my time rebuilding from scratch :(

no more building computers for friends or family after this... fk this

Advertisement