Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Wifi Password saved by Google?

Options
  • 04-04-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm curious about something that happened to me recently. I've just changed my mobile phone provider from O2 to Vodafone, with a brand new Android phone. On my old phone, I saved my phone numbers etc. on my GMail account so they would be "safe" and I could house-keep them on my PC. All grand.

When I got my new phone, lo-and-behold, it automatically reinstalled all of the Apps I had on my old phone. This surprised me but made me a little uncomfortable, wondering if these had somehow been stored as part of my Android/Google settings. I do not use Google+ or their Cloud.

Next I tried to pair with my Bluetooth Headset. This worked immediately, without asking me for the dummy PIN that goes with most headsets. Curious!

The real concern came when I got home and went to scan for my home Wifi connection. The scan found my Wifi AND paired to it automatically. This annoyed me. Where has it pulled my Home Wifi password from? Has this been stored somewhere in my Google credentials?

I remember something about this coming up when the Street View car was said to be storing details for unsecured Wifi in various places. But they were told to stop. Surely storing secured Wifi passwords outside of the actual paired devices is a greater breach of trust.

Or am I blaming Google in the wrong here? Is there some other tech element saving these details? Anyone else found this to happen to them? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is a setting back up to Google account, it's what it does

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP you gave it permission to back your settings up in the cloud.

Advertisement