Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Few Days in Canada

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭del777

thanks COYVB where abouts in TO are you? We are hoping to be living in Yonge & Eglinton :) Ah sure, we can do it on the Monday if its not open!
    Anybody know Yonge & Eglinton area and can recommend good apartment blocks? I have been doing some research online and seen a few places alright including The Torontonian, Upper Canada Court apartments. and others that I cant remember the name of!.. just wondering if anybody has any feedback on these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kerinethan

Unfurnished apartment rentals seem to be the norm in Canada with 6-12 month leases. Therefore initially setting up room shares seem to be the best idea. Is anyone on this thread living in Vancouver and can advised the best part of the city to live in if on a Working Holiday Visa from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JK9

Been in Toronto a week or so now. Could someone recommend a phone service? I went to a Rogers store today and they wouldn't accept any new customers without two forms of ID and a credit card. I don't have a credit card and my passport is all have for ID. I just want to get a number, preferably on pay as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

avoid rodgers and bell.

there was some other thread/posters on here about phone service...think koodo were rated the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Yup, go with Koodo

DO NOT go pay as you go though, it'll cost you twice as much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonhomme

Pay-as-you-go typically won't require ID and a credit check and all that, but on the downside you have to buy the phone upfront and they usually aren't all that great. You can grab those phones from 7-11s, Future Shop, Best Buy, those kinds of places.

For carriers, Wind and Mobilicity are quite good, but if you'll be primarily outside the big cities you're pretty much forced to go with one of the Big 3 (Rogers, Bell, or Telus) since they've all built out their networks into the far reaches of the prairies and whatnot.

But if you're sticking around Toronto, definitely look into Wind, Mobilicity, or even Fido. Fido is great because it uses Rogers network so the coverage and signal are always good, but it's like their "discount brand". And they have their City Fido package for if you'll be mostly in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If you're not buying a handset on a contract you won't need a credit check either. Avoid Fido, because they're more expensive than the rest. Koodo with your existing phone on a month to month is the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bonhomme

Oh yeah, bringing in your own handset is even better. And Koodo is Telus, technically, so you still get great coverage.

myself and my boyfriend are heading over with €10K between us, is this enough to keep us comfortable for a couple weeks in case we dont get work straight away? I know ya need $2500 in a bank account... sorry, Ive turned into a big worry wort as Ive only 3 weeks left before I go!
    Also, is anybody with AIB or BOI? If so, what way did you manage transferring the money to the Canadian account? Would I be best doing an online transfer when I get the Canadian account set up over there or take a risk and bring it in the form of cash or cheques and just lodge it into the Canadian account?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

del777 wrote: »
    myself and my boyfriend are heading over with €10K between us, is this enough to keep us comfortable for a couple weeks in case we dont get work straight away? I know ya need $2500 in a bank account... sorry, Ive turned into a big worry wort as Ive only 3 weeks left before I go!
    Also, is anybody with AIB or BOI? If so, what way did you manage transferring the money to the Canadian account? Would I be best doing an online transfer when I get the Canadian account set up over there or take a risk and bring it in the form of cash or cheques and just lodge it into the Canadian account?

Hi Del777 - great to hear you're all set to go! It's nice to see the few different user ID's on here that were rampant posters in the initial stages of us all applying for the visa's!! LOL!!

We went to Canada back in 2008 and took cash, and then had problems setting up a bank account without an address. We were lucky in that a friends uncle owned a business and banked with CIBC, so he vouched for us, but otherwise we would have been wandering around TO with way too much money in our pockets! Immigration didn't ask to see the money, but we had a statement too.

So this time, we're just going to bring the statement with us to show proof of funds, and if needed xfer the money when we get a bank account set up, or just use our cc and then do online payments as we do here.

Hope this helps :)

• Advertisement

Hey thanks for that!! When are you heading over yourself? The whole application process is now a distant memory!

Just to be safe I will prob just leave it in my irish account and do an online transfer once we get set up over there.. we are staying with friends until we get our own apartment sorted, will the bank accept their address to just open the account or how will that work coz we wont have our own address when opening it? or would they accept the irish address just to get the account opened??

Hey thanks for that!! When are you heading over yourself? The whole application process is now a distant memory!

Just to be safe I will prob just leave it in my irish account and do an online transfer once we get set up over there.. we are staying with friends until we get our own apartment sorted, will the bank accept their address to just open the account or how will that work coz we wont have our own address when opening it? or would they accept the irish address just to get the account opened??

I'd say you'll be safe enough just giving your friends address - just let on it's yours, that you're house sharing there. And this might also work better too as they're permanent there are they? So when you get set up and settled into your own place, just pop in and change the address. I think you can ask for no post too, so it's not like they'd be annoyed with your mail coming in through the door.

We're heading to Calgary this time - it's purely for work but Calgary is also quite populated for being a smaller city than Van or TO, so don't want to be too isolated! The last time we very much did a working holiday, more of the holidaying!, so we want to go somewhere that we can get work quickly, and it helps that we know a few people already there. Plus with the winter then we'll be close to Banff, which will be ideal :)

They have been over there for the past year on IEC and have since got their two year visas approved also.
    Ah my aunt and uncle were in Banff and said its was amazing. They handed me a newspaper magazine last night on the Banff park and started giving me all this advise on what to do and what not to do if you encounter a bear... it was so funny! :)
    This is our first time over there so I really dont know what to expect, luckily a few friends have gone before us so I have them to fall back on! Do you think we will be ok with the amount we are bringing over just incase we dont get work staraight away??

Do you think we will be ok with the amount we are bringing over just incase we dont get work staraight away??

Yes, I think you will be grand, especially seeing as you won't have to worry about rent straight away. Just don't be foolish with your money - it'll be tempting to head out on the razz for the first bit, but think of the bigger picture - do you want to give this a proper go for a year or two, or do you want to be home in a couple of months no better off than you are now just because you blew all your money straight away.

You will inevitably dip into it straight away, and I'm not saying to live like a recluse, but just time your treats well - as in it'll be great to go see Niagra Falls, but maybe have it that once you get work, the first wknd treat yourself to that trip away. Stuff like that. It's no different to if you were living here and not working, your savings would dwindle, so just be savvy with your money for the first wee while until you're set up, and before you know it you'll be managing just fine I think!

great, thanks so much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kazoo2001

Hi all,
    Thought i'd put in my short experience so far in Calgary. I've only arrived last night.
    i'm staying in Wicked hostel and although i'm not one for staying in hostels i have to say i'm impressed, plenty of people staying here getting set up. Its clean, includes laundry, free WiFi, secure enough very laid back atmosphere they are even getting ready for a " drag night" tonight. The staff here are very helpful. i arrived over on my own but with their help and a map i've managed to get my SIN number and bank sorted.
    The SIN number is sorted in Service Canada centre in the Harry Hayes building, about a 15 - 20 minute walk from hostel and it only took 10 minutes to sort. They accepted the hostel address, apparently there are quite a few here waiting on their SIN card but they give you the number straight away.
    Next off was to the bank, I went with RBC, they offer a 6 month free banking and a review after to see what account/ options will suit best. Whole process took about 30 minutes just needed my passport, Visa and SIN no. They set up online banking there and then and also offer a good esavings account. i was also given a temporary bank card that can be used for lodging or withdrawing money until final card comes through. The temporary card can also be used at any ATM. The proper bank card will be available for collection in about 2 weeks at the branch that i set up with. The online banking allows you to change your address too which will be handy once i find somewhere to live!!
    Thats all for now, hope this is of any use to someone and happy travels!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

kazoo2001 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thought i'd put in my short experience so far in Calgary. I've only arrived last night.
    i'm staying in Wicked hostel and although i'm not one for staying in hostels i have to say i'm impressed, plenty of people staying here getting set up. Its clean, includes laundry, free WiFi, secure enough very laid back atmosphere they are even getting ready for a " drag night" tonight. The staff here are very helpful. i arrived over on my own but with their help and a map i've managed to get my SIN number and bank sorted.
    The SIN number is sorted in Service Canada centre in the Harry Hayes building, about a 15 - 20 minute walk from hostel and it only took 10 minutes to sort. They accepted the hostel address, apparently there are quite a few here waiting on their SIN card but they give you the number straight away.
    Next off was to the bank, I went with RBC, they offer a 6 month free banking and a review after to see what account/ options will suit best. Whole process took about 30 minutes just needed my passport, Visa and SIN no. They set up online banking there and then and also offer a good esavings account. i was also given a temporary bank card that can be used for lodging or withdrawing money until final card comes through. The temporary card can also be used at any ATM. The proper bank card will be available for collection in about 2 weeks at the branch that i set up with. The online banking allows you to change your address too which will be handy once i find somewhere to live!!

Thank you so much for this advice! I'm moving in August.

But more importantly, are you ok? I just saw the flood news this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

kazoo2001 wrote: »
    Hi all,

They are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Can anyone advise me on health insurance? I know you need it in Canada but do we have to get it before we go or when we're over there?

And also what is the best company to get health insurance from

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kerinethan

ladybird23 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me on health insurance? I know you need it in Canada but do we have to get it before we go or when we're over there?

And also what is the best company to get health insurance from

You need to have it before you go, would advise to take out the cheapest one and then looking and getting proper insurance over there as its ment to be cheaper. They will only stamp your work permit to the last day of your policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

Thanks for that! any ideas on what company wud be good to go for? Do irish companies cover u over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Hi All,
    I haven't posted on here in a long while,
    I have to say Canada more so Alberta is full with opportunities compared with Ireland and where I am living at the minute that is Calgary there is numerous jobs but that saying it may take a while to find that job so please ensure you have enough savings to tide you over until you find that job.
    Also if people are planning on staying at wicked hostel when they arrive, bear in mind that you can only stay there for 2 weeks which is mainly due to the recent floods as the other hostel Hi is still closed.
    The weather is great here at the minute always in the 20's was 36 a while back, also Calgary is a lot drier than Ireland and the mosquitos can be annoying.
    Canada can seem more expensive for food etc but once your working and living here that soon fades.
    If you have any other questions then please ask, and goodluck to everyone on their journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dectyro

gary27 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I haven't posted on here in a long while,
    I have to say Canada more so Alberta is full with opportunities compared with Ireland and where I am living at the minute that is Calgary there is numerous jobs but that saying it may take a while to find that job so please ensure you have enough savings to tide you over until you find that job.
    Also if people are planning on staying at wicked hostel when they arrive, bear in mind that you can only stay there for 2 weeks which is mainly due to the recent floods as the other hostel Hi is still closed.
    The weather is great here at the minute always in the 20's was 36 a while back, also Calgary is a lot drier than Ireland and the mosquitos can be annoying.
    Canada can seem more expensive for food etc but once your working and living here that soon fades.
    If you have any other questions then please ask, and goodluck to everyone on their journeys.

Hey mate

Thinking of headn out to cal, is it hard to get work in the oil fields, ie fort mc Murray??

Advertisement