Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Sportsdirect Running shoes

Options

Comments

New balance shoes are for running, the nike ones are gym shoes, not running shoes.
    => New balance ones are better.
    They are designed for neutral runners, but are a mid/low-end product.
    See if you're neutral using a paper towel with wet feet - see this page.
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/learningcenter/footanalysis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Go to a running store and get your gait analyzed, it'll save you heart ache from niggling injuries caused by being in the wrong runners.

Most places will do it for free but I'd recommend going to a reputable shop.

As above Nike are more of a fashion runner and NB will do the job.

Hello everyone. I would appreciate some advice. Could anyone advise me on a decent air of runners from this site? I run mostly on the road but I am poor and have a limited budget. I know the best advice is to get fitted etc. but I just can't stretch to all that right now.
    For example, what do you think of these?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/new-balance-660-mens-running-shoes-212132

or these?

http://www.sportsdirect.com/nike-air-retaliate-mens-running-shoes-121142?colcode=12114290

I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thank you.

for an even cheaper price, I'd recommend these instead. Much better runners.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/BRO551/?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=display&utm_campaign=product_placement&_$ja=tsid:22369

also neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Thanks for all of your replies. I suspected as much of the Nike, but I wasn't sure. I had my gait analysis done in Amphibian King a few years ago. I am neutral gait.
    Thanks Glasso for the Brooks Green recommendation. Have you actually tried them? I'd be interested to hear your views.
    If anyone sees any others on either site or any other site that represents good value, please let me know.
    Cheers.

Thanks for all of your replies. I suspected as much of the Nike, but I wasn't sure. I had my gait analysis done in Amphibian King a few years ago. I am neutral gait.
    Thanks Glasso for the Brooks Green recommendation. Have you actually tried them? I'd be interested to hear your views.
    If anyone sees any others on either site or any other site that represents good value, please let me know.
    Cheers.

I have two pairs of green silence. love them, as do lots of people on here. they are light but have plenty of cushion. no better value on that site imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

glasso wrote: »

Ordered

Thank you :)

I have two pairs of green silence. love them, as do lots of people on here. they are light but have plenty of cushion. no better value on that site imo

I think I'll get them glasso. They look like a good shoe and I like the whole eco thing too:) . Is there any major difference between them and more conventional running shoes? I plan on doing another marathon this year, I'm not sure where yet. Will they see me through?
    I have a pair of Mizunos at the moment and they served me well but their time is up I fear.
    Thanks for the recommendation by the way.

ps: i normally take 8 in a normal shoe size, would 8.5 be the right size for me in the Green Silence?

these runners are certainly usable for marathons if you're not a heavy guy and have a good neutral gait. they have been used by ultrarunners for 100 mile runs so mere mortals should be able to use them for marathons. just take the mileage easy enough to get used to them as with any new runner. how long they will last you depends on you really - some people need a lot of cushioning which will eventually not be as good as the shoe initially came with - can't really answer that question - someone on the site here was at 500 miles with them and they were still working for him. initially the cushioning seemed a little hard for me but softened up after 25 miles or so. the protection is good and the heel-to-toe drop of 8mm is not severe so will suit most people, whilst still encouraging a good midfoot / forefoot strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Personally, I wouldn't advise the brooks to a newbie runner looking to run a marathon. The Green Silence are classed as a racing flat which means they are light and not as cushioned as some other running shoes.

I would be more inclined to advise a pair of Nike Pegasus or something like that which would be much more cushioned. Theres nothing wrong with the green silence but I wouldnt be recommending them to anyone to run a marathon unless they are an experienced runner and used to more minimal running shoes.

nellocono wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't advise the brooks to a newbie runner looking to run a marathon. The Green Silence are classed as a racing flat which means they are light and not as cushioned as some other running shoes.

I would be more inclined to advise a pair of Nike Pegasus or something like that which would be much more cushioned. Theres nothing wrong with the green silence but I wouldnt be recommending them to anyone to run a marathon unless they are an experienced runner and used to more minimal running shoes.

The OP has already run a marathon. I wouldn't call the GS a minimalist shoe (no low drop, has sizable sole) or racing flat really. The cushioning is quite ample, if a little on the hard side initially . I would agree that they may not be suitable for a marathon for the OP but only the OP can answer that. He wanted a cheap option also as you can see so Pegs would be out of budget.

• Advertisement

The OP has already run a marathon. I wouldn't call the GS a minimalist shoe (no low drop, has sizable sole) or racing flat really. The cushioning is quite ample, if a little on the hard side initially . I would agree that they may not be suitable for a marathon for the OP but only the OP can answer that. He wanted a cheap option also as you can see so Pegs would be out of budget.

Thanks glasso. Yeah I have run a marathon and I'm a fairly experienced runner. I am a light guy so they sound like they'd fit the bill for me.
    Funds are not great right now so that's why I was looking for something cheapish. The GS sound like just what I was after tbh.

Thanks again glasso. I really appreciate it.
    Thanks nellocono too for your input also.

welcome. post back here to say how you get on with them. purple-blueish with red soles colour-scheme looks the best imo. I also have the black-green ones but prefer the other one.

welcome. post back here to say how you get on with them. purple-blueish with red soles colour-scheme looks the best imo. I also have the black-green ones but prefer the other one.

Got them delivered today!:) I will take them for a test run later and let you know how I got on. They feel extremely light anyway! Looking forward to running with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

nellocono wrote: »
    The Green Silence are classed as a racing flat which means they are light and not as cushioned as some other running shoes.

I definitely would not classify them as a racing flat, though I have seen them advertised on a website as such.

To me they are lightweight trainers and that's exactly what I use them for. I think they are a fantastic shoe, I love the light weight but I have chosen different, even lighter shoes for races of anything up to marathon distance (I find them excellent for ultras though).

At the same time I'd be cautious when wearing them for the first time. If the OP was used to heavier and cushioned shoes it will take some time for the feet to get used to lighter shoes that rely much more on the runner's feet and legs to provide the cushioning themselves. Any such change should happen gradually.

Well, I just tried out my new Green Silence. I have to say I'm very impressed. They are so light and I didn't really notice any extra impact on my feet or knees. Then again I am light so a bigger heavier person might not like them. So far so good anyway. I just did a quick 5 k in them and I will gradually increase distance to get my feet used to them just in case. First impressions on them are great and I'm actually excited about using them this summer. I think I may run better with these.:D

Advertisement