Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Really confused... Can't figure out best option!

• 04-04-2013 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

As the title says I'm really confused about what I/we should do re Social Welfare.

My partner is expecting a baby. We don't currently live together.

She always worked, but now can't work full time and is in receipt of SW for the days she can't work. She will be going on maternity leave in a couple of months.

I am currently doing a course and getting BTEA. I work part-time on a casual basis.

We are both barely surviving at the minute, she has rent to pay etc out of income of about 200 a week. The place she is in now is too small for baby too so she will have to move and ideally I would move in with her.

I have a lot of debt from before, when I was working full time and most of my income goes on servicing that debt. Neither of us drink or smoke.

Our current income is approx 450 euros between us on average, maybe 500. We keep our finances seperate.

What happens if we move in together? How would we be assessed?
    It is very confusing but it looks to me like we would end up getting about 300 euros from SW all in and this would only cover rent, with a little left over. the cheapest apartment with 2 beds we can see are around 1000 a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Hmm tricky one. AFAIK while you're on BTE you will keep your present rate of payment. and if she qualifies for maternity benefit she'll get the 262 or whatever it is. (ye can claim 29.80 between ye for the child when it's born)

Once you come off the BTE though, ye'll be assessed as cohab and her earnings will impact on your sw payment.

I could be open to correction on this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

As far as I can see as of now:

BTEA €188
    Work €110 aprox
    MAT: €262 (based on the person working full time in 2012)
    Tot: €560

After baby + €29.80 p/w and Child allowance €130 p /m

You could apply to the council for housing and look into rent allowance but would have to rent a place under the limits.

During the Summer you'd be claiming JSA, so your payment could be €217 before your casual employment is taken into consideration. (this includes the €29.80 for the baby)

When this happens, your partner is better off claiming for you and baby as a dependant on her maternity benefit claim.

Advertisement