Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB shadow transaction

Options
  • 04-04-2013 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Background info: Last November I paid a bill in a meteor shop for 70 euro. 140 went out. I rang meteor who said go to AIB. I informed AIB and the money went back into my account about two weeks later. So I forgot about it.

Today 70 euro went out and I went to AIB to query it. Essentially they are saying Meteor is disputing that it's a shadow transaction, apparently offered evidence and AIB paid them. AIB never wrote or rang me to discuss this payment and the lady in the bank more or less said that they are believing Meteor. I've to go back in when I receive my statement. I left the bank feeling pretty crappy because I feel like they don't believe me and because I have no money left til next week, which is scary.

I just rang Meteor and so far all that's registered with them is the 70 euro and nothing else. It has been given to someone higher up and they are apparently ringing me back (fingers crossed!). But they need a statement showing that 140 left my account for Meteor. I've ordered a statement but my statement will show 70 last November 70 yesterday.

Anyway I don't think my dispute is with Meteor. I would have thought it's with AIB? Can AIB take the money from my account without discussing it with me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Anyway I don't think my dispute is with Meteor. I would have thought it's with AIB? Can AIB take the money from my account without discussing it with me?

In a word: yes. When you set up a DD with a company, you are essentially inviting them to take cash from your account whenever they want. Of course, they have to be able to prove you owe it to them but, as long as they can do so, they can just hop into your account and collect it. If you dispute it, the bank will act on your behalf but if the company (Meteor in this case) can prove that they are in fact entitled to it, then the bank will pay up. The contract (direct debit) is between you and Meteor; the bank merely facilitate it. Don't drop the matter, obviously. But find out what the €70 was for!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭lovelyjubbly

The 70 euro was paid by laser in a meteor shop, it was not a direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If they can 't produce till receipts for two different transactions then there's clearly a fault at there end.

ted1 wrote: »
    If they can 't produce till receipts for two different transactions then there's clearly a fault at there end.

That's what I thought so I am confused as to what evidence was produced. They couldn't tell me what it was. AIB now can't do anything until they see my bank statement because it's not available to the customer care people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Print off the page from internet banking.
    Write to AIB, entitle the letter 'formal complaint'
    In point form tell them you made 1 transaction on 'blah' date for €70, but AIB have taken €140.
    Tell them to restore the €70 or provide proof that the transaction for €70 happened.
    Give them 14 days to restore the €70 to you. After that ask for a final response and proceed to the ombudsman. (I have never seen it go that far)

Its up to the retailer to prove you did the transaction. This often happens and if the retailer cant provide the receipt / batch, the bank refunds the money to the customer.

• Advertisement

AIB reckon that I need to get a refund from Meteor. Meteor haven't received the extra payment. Head is wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

AIB allowed someone to take money from you account. Its their problem, let them sort it.
    You are paying AIB for your current account, they charged you 28c to take this €70!!!!

Its their problem, employing people to read and answer these letters costs AIB money.

Write the letter above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

AIB reckon that I need to get a refund from Meteor. Meteor haven't received the extra payment. Head is wrecked.

AIB can send them a proof of payment for the transactions.

Advertisement