Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storing memory cards

• 04-04-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have a pile of memory cards and don't know the best place to store and catalogue them. I don't like to wipe cards, want to keep my precious shots in several places, so always have a back up. Anybody have any tips how to store them? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

you could transfer the images to hard drives and re-use the memory cards - would probably work out a LOT cheaper.

most memory cards/hard drives will fail within 5yrs (most memory cards will be out of date/too small within 5yrs...I found a 16MB card a few days ago while doing a tidy up.... I cant even take one pic with my current camera)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Greystoner wrote: »
    I have a pile of memory cards and don't know the best place to store and catalogue them. I don't like to wipe cards, want to keep my precious shots in several places, so always have a back up. Anybody have any tips how to store them? Thanks.

Why don't you put the files from the memory cards into a folder and burn a DVD of them. You could even make a few DVD copies as a backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

DVD makes a poor choice for long term backups, you'll almost always lose some files. CRC errors coming out of the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Alltherage wrote: »
    DVD makes a poor choice for long term backups, you'll almost always lose some files. CRC errors coming out of the walls.

Yes you could be correct re long term. Have you a suggestion for the op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Cloud storage? Gmail gives you 10gb, just attach the files to an email and save it as a draft, that way they'll always be there and there's no chance of other people seeing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭MagicBusDriver1

Cloud storage? Gmail gives you 10gb, just attach the files to an email and save it as a draft, that way they'll always be there and there's no chance of other people seeing them

Dropbox or google drive would be a better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Dropbox or google drive would be a better choice.

No they wouldn't necessarily, lots of people already have a gmail account and you get 10gb storage free, a lot more than alternatives, seeing as google drive only gives you 5 gb and dropbox depends on referrals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Greystoner Buy two portable hard drives (2.5") and schedule backup of your files every week. Don't use those hard drives to any other purposes than backup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

using cards works out at maybe €0.50 to €1 per GB, if you're getting a good deal on the cards.
    portable hard drives work out at about €0.05 to €0.10 per GB.

it'd probably be cheaper to use USB keys than cards; and they'd be more robust. and less likely to slip down between the floorboards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

cloud storage

• Advertisement
Advertisement