Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Engine for VW Golf 1.4

Options
  • 04-04-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Any suggestions where (preferably Dublin or north of border) I can get a replacement engine for a 2002 Golf 1.4?
    All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Traynors might be your best bet but these engines cab be problematic so may be in short supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your the second person looking for one of these today:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056918652

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

itsmybike wrote: »
    Any suggestions where (preferably Dublin or north of border) I can get a replacement engine for a 2002 Golf 1.4?
    All help appreciated.

Hens teeth as they are so troublesom.

What has happened to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

honest advice dont bother-sell the car for pennies or scrap/parts you'll get more then trying to fix the F*ckd up engine they we put into them mark 4 golfs.worst car ever,had mine 5 years ago,it didnt had 100k miles when noticed its drinking oil 1l a week minimum :mad: troubles with braking locks handles etc.Pure S* from wv wouldnt ever touch one again.The reason is because mark4 is overweight for that engine and piston rings are crap and wear of easily.
    you can easily buy one now for less then 1k euro and it will have better engine 1.6 or diesel and full nct,
    as if you were to source the engine plus work would at least cost you 600-800 easily,and no guarantees that it wont have the samre fault within weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got a 01 Golf 1.4, 140,000 miles on it, never given me any bother.

Must have got a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,242 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

NIMAN wrote: »

I think the two owners above would tend to agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I would imagine you don't drive it like a GTI and service it every 2/3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

scamalert wrote: »
    honest advice dont bother-sell the car for pennies or scrap/parts you'll get more then trying to fix the F*ckd up engine they we put into them mark 4 golfs.worst car ever,had mine 5 years ago,it didnt had 100k miles when noticed its drinking oil 1l a week minimum :mad: troubles with braking locks handles etc.Pure S* from wv wouldnt ever touch one again.The reason is because mark4 is overweight for that engine and piston rings are crap and wear of easily.
    you can easily buy one now for less then 1k euro and it will have better engine 1.6 or diesel and full nct,
    as if you were to source the engine plus work would at least cost you 600-800 easily,and no guarantees that it wont have the samre fault within weeks or so.

I bought a new one 2005 and it these problems highlighted and a few more thrown in .Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

not sure if if its a direct swap but I know a 2 lads who had 1.4's that unknowingly had 1.6 engines fitted not all that good of a engine either but neither of the 2 lads had a bother with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Traynors might be your best bet but these engines cab be problematic so may be in short supply.

I wouldn't bother with them, I'd sooner have the car broke then deal with them. There are plenty of other breakers in the North apart from traynors:

La list

Plenty more not on that list but that should keep you busy ;)

Best ringing around OP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

TGi666 wrote: »
    not sure if if its a direct swap but I know a 2 lads who had 1.4's that unknowingly had 1.6 engines fitted not all that good of a engine either but neither of the 2 lads had a bother with them

The 1.6 16v's are an identical engine to the 1.4 although much less common in Ireland.
    The more common, and much more reliable, 1.6 8v is a completely different engine and couldn't be fitted to a previously 16v car without changing most of the wiring loom, ecu etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

i'm in this club. i got a replacement for mine from Northwest Car Parts in Sligo at the time. might be worth trying there. heap of ****e of a car let's be honest. can't wait to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's a total waste of time putting a secondhand engine into one of these as 90% of them are fecked at this stage anyway.

Much better off rebuilding your own. We have rebuilt loads of them and once you keep the oil changed in them afterwards they are fine.

Im pretty sure they made millions of them,and all couldnt be with the same fault ,but majority in Ireland and Europe end up with the same problem at some stage, which is-oil sucking engine,that said ive seen couple for sale with mileage 140-180k and above,but its rarity and anyone with a bit of knowledge wont even look twice at 1.4 16v.its nice shape for a year,comfy interior and unless its 1.8t or r32,its worthless.

anyone with a bit of knowledge wont even look twice at 1.4 16v.its nice shape for a year,comfy interior and unless its 1.8t or r32,its worthless.

A clean 1.4 16v Mk4 is worth just as much as a 1.8T GTI. I'm not saying I think that is the way it should be, but it is a fact.

A clean 1.4 16v Mk4 is worth just as much as a 1.8T GTI. I'm not saying I think that is the way it should be, but it is a fact.
    majority of them are clean and nice to this day,throw in 19 inch wheels and they look class :D,but the engine is pure 4ite,and swapping it or rebuilding will set you almost the same price as another used golf would :cool: that's a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

My father's car is an imported 01 Polo with the 1.6 16V AUA engine with 189k miles on it. Didn't know about this engine's problems when we got it but apart from using a bit of oil it's been fine. What I think has saved it is lots of early UK service history and being well looked after until a couple of years ago.

My father is likely to destroy the gearbox before the engine dies :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

majority of them are clean and nice to this day,throw in 19 inch wheels and they look class :D,but the engine is pure 4ite,and swapping it or rebuilding will set you almost the same price as another used golf would :cool: that's a fact.

Rebuilding the engine might cost you the same as buying another Golf but at least with a rebuild you know what you Got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

Have a 2004 mk5 1.4 75bhp with 140k on it myself. I've not had a bother with the engine. I could just be lucky so far. Serviced every 10k and timing kit every 60k. Quite a lot of cars get bad press due to poor servicing. I keep a good eye on the oil level as they do consume some between services. But sure I think lots of engines do right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 itsmybike

Thanks everyone for comments and advice. I'm going to take a chance on a new engine (10k less miles than on current car) from Traynor's. I know it's a risk, but buying another used car is a risk too. Wish me luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

old thread I know but still a relevant point about this topic,just brought my Bora to the local mechanic,he said its my pistons are done for,cant imagine how but still,i'll probably just get the engine rebuilt at least I know it will last then,but there is 1 reputable guy where I am from who is solely a VW scrap man,might seek his advice on a replacement engine

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    old thread I know but still a relevant point about this topic,just brought my Bora to the local mechanic,he said its my pistons are done for,cant imagine how but still,i'll probably just get the engine rebuilt at least I know it will last then,but there is 1 reputable guy where I am from who is solely a VW scrap man,might seek his advice on a replacement engine

Replacement s/h engines are a waste of time with these imo, that is unless you know of a scrapped example with a recently rebuilt engine which is highly unlikely IMO.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Replacement s/h engines are a waste of time with these imo, that is unless you know of a scrapped example with a recently rebuilt engine which is highly unlikely IMO.
    go with a rebuild rather than replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

All these issues yet 90% of Irish motorists think VWs are gods gift to cars and nothing could possibly go wrong with them.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    All these issues yet 90% of Irish motorists think VWs are gods gift to cars and nothing could possibly go wrong with them.
    the engine seems to be the biggest let down,the car only failed on high idle emissions,all other aspects of it are 110%

Moneymaker wrote: »

I think you are thinking of UK motorists. Toyota are seen as gods gift in this country. In fairness though they were excellent in the past and deserved their reputation. They were also a dam sight better than VW's of the time which didn't deserve the reputation they got across the pond for "indestructible German engineering"

go with a rebuild rather than replacement?

Yes unless you know of a recently rebuilt s/h engine with paperwork to prove and a service history imo.

As above, secondhand is a waste of time. Rebuild is the only way with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the engine seems to be the biggest let down,the car only failed on high idle emissions,all other aspects of it are 110%

If that's all it failed on and your mechanic has told you it needs pistons, you need to replace your mechanic first.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    If that's all it failed on and your mechanic has told you it needs pistons, you need to replace your mechanic first.
    i took it to a mechanic just to see what he would say,i have a video of the smoke its throwing out at high idle but cant upload it,the smoke only appeared when i serviced it.i'll try to upload it again later on tonight

Advertisement