Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D/L & U/L traffic is 6-9Gigs per day.

• 04-04-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a free program that monitors traffic on your home broadband plan and identifies programs generating traffic.

I ask because Digiweb stats show that we are downloading 6-9 gigs per day and have now reached 81% of the download allowance.

We are Netflix subscribers, and we also have skydrive and icloud services working away 24/7 but I find it hard to imagine that we use that volume each day and am somewhat suspicious as to what the culprit is.

Its 99% download as upload is usually less than 100 megabytes.

Thanks

Mrblack

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

An SD movie is around 1.5gbits so do the math. Stop using Netflix this month anyway as you are near busting the cap. A netflix 'client' stuck in a download loop with a corrupt file could do serious damage.

Cloudy stuff is bidirectional. I use a lot of cloudy dropboxy etc stuff and no Netflix. My usage is more like 25Gb a month most months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Netflix could burn that easy with a few users. Youtube HD to top it off.

Block netflix for a week and check the difference in stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Which service and package do you get from Digiweb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

For what it's worth Digiweb aren't misers about the download allowance. I've stopped looking at my usage. Used to track it like mental but saw some posts on here saying Digiweb don't really care if you go over your limit. Also worth noting it's a rolling 30 day total, not per calendar month.
    [however if you do end up getting charged extra don't blame me :) ]

It's really easy to burn through that level of usage. I easily go thru that a day and more. (without netflix)

Don't use it for a day while keeping other normal activity and you'll soon see what you're using on Netflix.

If you're worried about someone else using your internet, check the logs on your router. It will tell you all the devices that are/have previously connected to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Dazza, our package is metro express 30mb with talk which has a 100gig limit. Its a great service btw no complaints at all.

Mickalus, we are in the country so I am not thinking that someone else is using our wireless internet, rather that some process is generating the traffic either unintentionally or maybe deliberately if I have a virus or something like that.

Our Netflix is viewed via an apple tv box and it seems that the downloading is continuing even when it is in sleep mode. So perhaps our media pc which is always on and connected to the router is harbouring a problem.

Next week the kids will be back at school and Netflix will be banned during the week so it should confirm that Netflix isn't the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

How much is Netflix used? 6-9 GB per day really isn't all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it were viral you'd probably see a lot of upload activity. You mention kids, what ages are they and what devices do they have?

Advertisement