Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone refusing to work on new build

Options
  • 04-04-2013 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently bought a new sound card for my PC. An Asus Xonar DGX. The sound is great out of speakers and the likes, but when I try to connect my Microphone it refuses to pic my voice up. Ive disabled the Front Panel MIC but all I get is incredible white noise when I do.

I did manage to get it to pick up my voice once but it was surrounded by white noise and kept repeating like an echo.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Vicxas wrote: »
    Recently bought a new sound card for my PC.

You may have to disable any sound card built into your motherboard too.
    Check your bios settings for some form of "Audio disable" setting.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Ive disabled the Front Panel MIC but all I get is incredible white noise when I do.

Make sure you're not getting feedback by putting the microphone in front of the speakers.

Also, assuming you've got Windows 7...
    right click on the speaker icon in the task bar and select "Recording Devices".
    One should be labelled the default recording device.
    Click on properties, and there's a few settings you can alter, in particular anything saying "amplify" or "levels".

The microphone is probably being amplified too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ive turned everything down and the white noise is gone, but the echo is destroying the quality of the playback.... I'm starting to wonder if this headset is any use with this sound card.

Funny thing is they're both Asus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Did you disable the onboard soundcard?

Yeah on board is disabled.

I ran the headset through the front panel headset with the onboard turned on and I was still getting the mad echo and reverb. Could it be the Mic on the headset thats faulty?

Does your sound card have multiple input sockets?

Are you mixing up the microphone socket with the line in socket?

• Advertisement

Does your sound card have multiple input sockets?

Are you mixing up the microphone socket with the line in socket?

Nope it just has the Pink, Green, Black and Orange. And an SPDIF out. So no room for error i'm afraid :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Could be a driver issue. Take it you've double checked that?

Could be a driver issue. Take it you've double checked that?

+1

I just looked up the product page for that sound card... not sure if the amp is for microphone, headphone or both...
    3 headphone AMP gain modes for different usage scenarios - VOIP, pro-gaming, exciter

Found the cause. Headset is absolutely knackered.

Brought it to a friend of mine who has the same headset. It's completely wrecked. Hopefully this is the whole cause of the issue.

Advertisement