Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting new job

• 04-04-2013 6:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭

If someone was offered a job that pays monthly how do you survive untill you get paid . Can the socail welfare help out untill you get paid or do you go without food , rent heat etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

Sin City wrote: »
    If someone was offered a job that pays monthly how do you survive untill you get paid . Can the socail welfare help out untill you get paid or do you go without food , rent heat etc

That was me last month. I borrowed a couple of hundred euro from the bank. You will get nothing from social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

That was me last month. I borrowed a couple of hundred euro from the bank. You will get nothing from social welfare.

but if you can't borrow then what do you
    Plus its a months trial not a definate job offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Happened my brother last month, social will give you nothing at all, as far as I've heard from people in the same boat they tend to chance it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I was in that boat 12 months. I borrowed from my family however I believe you can get assistance from the community welfare officer.

In saying that I would imagine they drag the process out leaving you in the lurch.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dr Sunshine

Can community welfare officer give any assistance? Do you have a credit card you could use until you get paid? If not, you may have to ask family or friends for a small loan if banks or credit union not an option for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Jobseekers pays you while you are unemployed. If you are working then you are not unemployed. Can you borrow from someone in the meantime?

I was in the same boat.. but the job I had at the time had very irregular hours so some months I got over a grand and other months below 700.. Had to leave it in the end.. wasn't aware of any help from social welfare.

My boyfriend was paid monthly before and he handled it very well- he budgeted everything so he knew what he needed for different things.

:D

You don't get long term assistances... just a one off payment whilst you work a back week.
    Like I said, I cannot confirm this. Second hand info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Happened to me last year too, but I just claimed for the first 3 weeks of the job, then signed off. Bottom line, I had to pay for petrol to get in and out of work, and put food on the table until I got paid. The alternative was to NOT take the job.

*waits for finger wagging and holier-than-thou attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Jovetic wrote: »
    Jobseekers pays you while you are unemployed. If you are working then you are not unemployed. Can you borrow from someone in the meantime?

Its a months trial, not a definite job offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't blame you at all. I did something similar when I was in the UK and was starting my first full time job. I just drew Supp Ben until I got paid, then returned the book. How else are you to survive?

Neither the Welfare nor the DWP at home make returning to the workforce easy. You would've thought they'd do more to help especially as they won't be paying you welfare. But no! Even if they gave you a short-term loan until you got paid, would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Even if they gave you a short-term loan until you got paid, would help.

Which I'm sure people would pay back :rolleyes:

Happened to me last year too, but I just claimed for the first 3 weeks of the job, then signed off. Bottom line, I had to pay for petrol to get in and out of work, and put food on the table until I got paid. The alternative was to NOT take the job.

*waits for finger wagging and holier-than-thou attitude.

i was considering that but for some reason my payment just stopped at the exact time I started the new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Advocating Social Welfare fraud is not permitted on this forum as per forum charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement