Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin

Options
  • 04-04-2013 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. I've been searching for a place to live for over a month now to no joy. I need a house, at least 2 bedroom, a back garden (not yard) and no grief about having a dog. Ive a budget of 1000e a month but could push it to 1100e a month if needs be.
    I've viewed literally dozens of houses all over the county. The ones I like have an issue with the Dog, and the ones that dont have an issue with the madra are simply large versions of 1980s Rathmines bedsits. They look like a bomb has gone off in them.
    Talking to friends of mine from all over the world, this issue with pets seems to be an Irish thing. Surely if I sign a lease that leaves me liable for any damage (pet included) then there shouldnt be a problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

I had a similar problem when I was looking. It may be worth offering the landlord an increased deposit. Many landlords are afraid dogs will do more damage than the deposit covers.

That said I did eventually find a place that was happy with the dog and didn't require anything extra. Just took a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

My issue is that Ive been looking for ages and I dont have a lot of time left. I have to be out of here before two weeks time. Im simply in awe of the system here, Its a dog. Not a dragon. What dog could do a thousand euros worth of damage before I could stop him? And even if he did do a thousand euros worth of damage. I've given the landlord money to cover that in the case of it happening.
    The funny thing is that I wont even have the dog for another 3 or 4 months. But I have to find a place thats suitable for when it arrives.
    The first month and deposit has me tapped out, I cant afford to lay more down on a deposit. Im pretty much screwed, arent I?

Im checking daft and myhome literally every 10 minutes. Are there any other sites worth looking at? I check lettings, rent and gumtree,adverts every day too but the sites arent great for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Just give up. That's what I did.

You are not going to find anywhere. A landlord has absolutely no incentive to bother listening to your story or your offer of an increased deposit or whatever. He has dozens of other people lining up behind you with no dog, if you're not willing to be 100% compliant and easy for him, he'll just pass you over and go to the next one.

Give up, look outside of Dublin, or get rid of the dog.

Neither of those are an option I'm afraid. I'll power on somehow. Maybe I'll kill my granny and move in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi- doing search on daft.ie that accepts pets, a few houses in Swords, Blanch and this http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1326165 came up. Its a little out of the way, out by Dalkey, but love the fireplace!
    This http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1317217 is a fab looking little house , but kinda out of the way too. Own transport essential.
    Hope you find somewhere, I'm a pet owner and could not be parted from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I've two cats & have gotten around this by offering to sign something that I will cover any damage/increased deposit.

If you're first in the door (more or less) to view the property, you can move in asap, have your deposit & paperwork & good references there, then you'll more or less sell yourself as a tenant & it will be easier to negotiate re the dog.

Keep looking, you'll find somewhere, there are a lot of dog lovers out there, even if it is purely a business transaction for them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bombidol wrote: »
    Im simply in awe of the system here, Its a dog. Not a dragon. What dog could do a thousand euros worth of damage before I could stop him? And even if he did do a thousand euros worth of damage. I've given the landlord money to cover that in the case of it happening.

Youre problem is that youre coming at it from the point of view of someone who will control their animal and look after the place. The landlord is thinking worst case scenario, which is someone who doesnt control their dog and doesnt give a toss about the property, and ends up allowing the animal to wreck the place. A grands worth of a deposit is not going to go very far when the dog has wrecked every floor and piece of furniture in the house and has dug the garden to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I put a pet deposit down for 200 when I moved to a place with a cat some years ago and the landlord at first was sceptical.
    Now a dog can to do more damage but try asking if a pet deposit is ok and what they would consider a fair deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Just give up. That's what I did.

You are not going to find anywhere. A landlord has absolutely no incentive to bother listening to your story or your offer of an increased deposit or whatever. He has dozens of other people lining up behind you with no dog, if you're not willing to be 100% compliant and easy for him, he'll just pass you over and go to the next one.

Give up, look outside of Dublin, or get rid of the dog.

Very much this at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublinchap2013

I am in the same position. Wondering did you find somewhere and would you consider a share!! I've a male 4 year old dog. I sent you a message. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If I were a landlord, not a bloody chance Id have a dog in my property! They can afford to be picky at the moment...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    If I were a landlord, not a bloody chance Id have a dog in my property! They can afford to be picky at the moment...

Idbatterim I disagree with you. I am actually renting a small 3 bed house right now and I have a dog and the Landlord doesn't mind. The house was left empty for 4 months prior to me moving in with my dog because it is now a renters market. I posted because I've two other rooms available in the house and wouldn't mind sharing the rent with someone else like the original poster who also has a dog. The garden out the back is walled completely with a side gate and it is a big garden and right around the corner there is a park to walk the dog etc. :D

There are large parts of Dublin at the moment where it is very much not a renters market. Even outside of Dublin landlords can afford to be somewhat choosy about who they rent to.

I have seen the state that some dogs leave houses in (both rented and otherwise) and I have to say if I were a landlord there is no way on earth I would allow a dog near my rental property. In my opinion if you want to have a dog then you first get your own property.

djimi wrote: »
    There are large parts of Dublin at the moment where it is very much not a renters market. Even outside of Dublin landlords can afford to be somewhat choosy about who they rent to.

I have seen the state that some dogs leave houses in (both rented and otherwise) and I have to say if I were a landlord there is no way on earth I would allow a dog near my rental property. In my opinion if you want to have a dog then you first get your own property.

Entitled to your opinion. Anyway the original poster PM'd me and got a place and so did I so it isn't impossible as people would make out. :D

Im not saying its impossible; I just wouldnt let a dog near any place of mine!

djimi wrote: »
    Im not saying its impossible; I just wouldnt let a dog near any place of mine!

Fair enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I'm an owner occupier at the moment and we (myself and the other 3 people living in the house) are fostering a dog for an animal charity. I see, from a Landlords point of view, on a daily basis what having a dog in a house is like. Even though I'm fond of her and she (Orla) isn't destructive I wouldn't take a dog in again.
    • The garden has to be constantly cleaned of dog sh!t
    • I've had to put up fences at my cost to keep the dog out of the neighbours gardens - the neighbors don't care who owns her just that it's my property and the dog is getting access from my property.
    • We can't leave doors open inside or outside as she can't have free run of the whole house

The lawn will probably have to be dug up and re-seeded after Orla. That is expensive - I could easily see €500 being spent for that work. Now consider if the dog chewed furniture, in a single day a large dog could chew a door, sofa, chairs. No "months rent as deposit" deposit will cover that damage and that is damage that will easily be accrued by a normal dog.

I'd be asking for a deposit/bond of several thousand from any renter looking to keep a dog in my property.

Finally, several posters that frequent this forum and who are renters want LLs to treat renting as a business - well an animal is a huge risk with no indemnity for the LL, no business will take on such a risk without huge reward, why should Landlords?

I'm an owner occupier at the moment and we (myself and the other 3 people living in the house) are fostering a dog for an animal charity. I see, from a Landlords point of view, on a daily basis what having a dog in a house is like. Even though I'm fond of her and she (Orla) isn't destructive I wouldn't take a dog in again.
    • The garden has to be constantly cleaned of dog sh!t
    • I've had to put up fences at my cost to keep the dog out of the neighbours gardens - the neighbors don't care who owns her just that it's my property and the dog is getting access from my property.
    • We can't leave doors open inside or outside as she can't have free run of the whole house

The lawn will probably have to be dug up and re-seeded after Orla. That is expensive - I could easily see €500 being spent for that work. Now consider if the dog chewed furniture, in a single day a large dog could chew a door, sofa, chairs. No "months rent as deposit" deposit will cover that damage and that is damage that will easily be accrued by a normal dog.

I'd be asking for a deposit/bond of several thousand from any renter looking to keep a dog in my property.

Finally, several posters that frequent this forum and who are renters want LLs to treat renting as a business - well an animal is a huge risk with no indemnity for the LL, no business will take on such a risk without huge reward, why should Landlords?

YOU SOUND LIKE A FAKE DOG OWNER TO ME, MY OPINION :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He sounds like a reasonable landlord that has decribed what owning a dog can entail

excuse the pun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Whether they are a fake dog owner or not, the sentiment will be widely shared. I rent out my house in Dublin, after I have had to move away with work, and there is no way on earth I would have tenants with a dog.

listermint wrote: »
    He sounds like a reasonable landlord that has decribed what owning a dog can entail

excuse the pun...

Saying Orla has done no harm and then saying the Garden needs to be re-seeded at the cost of €500.

Renting is not a business? Well actually it is a form of business as it is taxed.

Don't have a dog if you are going to whinge later about it.

Whether they are a fake dog owner or not, the sentiment will be widely shared. I rent out my house in Dublin, after I have had to move away with work, and there is no way on earth I would have tenants with a dog.

Good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Considering the usual issue of using the deposit for rent for the last month or two, (for the usual reasons) and very few means open to the LL to recover money from tenants after they leave. A dog or pet is simply an increase in these potential losses. So a depots isn't really much use.

Whats needed is some from of insurance policy for this.

BostonB wrote: »
    Considering the usual issue of using the deposit for rent for the last month or two, (for the usual reasons) and very few means open to the LL to recover money from tenants after they leave. A dog or pet is simply an increase in these potential losses. So a depots isn't really much use.

Whats needed is some from of insurance policy for this.

Then they should simply hire the deposit for those with Pets, from solved.

Good for you.

OK. Persude me otherwise. What is in it for me? Except from extra hassle and unnecessary risk

OK. Persude me otherwise. What is in it for me? Except from extra hassle and unnecessary risk

No :D

No :D

Thought so!

Thought so!

Generally have no time for LLs in General :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Then they should simply hire the deposit for those with Pets, from solved.

Hire the deposit? Don't get yah.

Advertisement