Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublinchap2013

BostonB wrote: »
    Hire the deposit? Don't get yah.

higher :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Ah. I think you are missing my point about the deposit not working, as people use it for rent of the last month or two.

Ah. I think you are missing my point about the deposit not working, as people use it for rent of the last month or two.

Well higher it to 3 months LOL, professionals have dogs and money. And if you are not satisfied with 2 or 3 grand of a deposit well then just continue to not allow pets. I can guarantee you if someone was looking for a place today and they selected a property that didn't mention pets allowed and they told the landlord they would place a 3 grand deposit down the landlords eyes would light up :pac: $$$$$

3k might not cover repairs and lost rent. In Germany 2~3 months rent as a deposit is standard. Regardless of Pets.

3k might not cover repairs and lost rent. In Germany 2~3 months rent as a deposit is standard. Regardless of Pets.

Wow what damage can a dog do that surpasses 3k, clearly if you are going to be concerned that 3k won't cover potential damage you should just not rent a house with expensive items to someone with a dog. This is not Germany either. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Wow what damage can a dog do that surpasses 3k, clearly if you are going to be concerned that 3k won't cover potential damage you should just not rent a house with expensive items to someone with a dog. This is not Germany either. :cool:

In a year (or even a couple of months) a badly controlled dog could easily do several grands worth of damage. Damage to wooden floors/carpets, furniture, gardens etc; you wouldnt be long seeing a few grands worth of repairs.

Obviously that is worse case scenario, but Ive seen the state that some dogs leave houses in, and its shocking to be honest.

djimi wrote: »
    In a year (or even a couple of months) a badly controlled dog could easily do several grands worth of damage. Damage to wooden floors/carpets, furniture, gardens etc; you wouldnt be long seeing a few grands worth of repairs.

Obviously that is worse case scenario, but Ive seen the state that some dogs leave houses in, and its shocking to be honest.

Fair enough but it sounds like a worst case where the dog is completely bonkers. Maybe offering a place to rent unfurnished is the answer or if still worried there is always that alternative of just not renting to those with dogs. I suppose a good question is, if a potential tenant approached you with good references which included a mention of his or her dog would that cool the anxiety :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭sungear

OP, did you find somewhere?
    Are you restricted to a certain area?
    What kind of dog is it?
    Is it trained not to bark?
    Would the OP be willing to look into training< it might be something a landlord would have to consider, noise complaints from neighbours.
    Just give up. That's what I did.

You are not going to find anywhere. A landlord has absolutely no incentive to bother listening to your story or your offer of an increased deposit or whatever. He has dozens of other people lining up behind you with no dog, if you're not willing to be 100% compliant and easy for him, he'll just pass you over and go to the next one.

Give up, look outside of Dublin, or get rid of the dog.

Im sure there must be somewhere available, depends on if they are limited or limiting to a specific area.
    I'm an owner occupier at the moment and we (myself and the other 3 people living in the house) are fostering a dog for an animal charity. I see, from a Landlords point of view, on a daily basis what having a dog in a house is like. Even though I'm fond of her and she (Orla) isn't destructive I wouldn't take a dog in again.
    • The garden has to be constantly cleaned of dog sh!t
    • I've had to put up fences at my cost to keep the dog out of the neighbours gardens - the neighbors don't care who owns her just that it's my property and the dog is getting access from my property.
    • We can't leave doors open inside or outside as she can't have free run of the whole house

The lawn will probably have to be dug up and re-seeded after Orla. That is expensive - I could easily see €500 being spent for that work. Now consider if the dog chewed furniture, in a single day a large dog could chew a door, sofa, chairs. No "months rent as deposit" deposit will cover that damage and that is damage that will easily be accrued by a normal dog.

I'd be asking for a deposit/bond of several thousand from any renter looking to keep a dog in my property.

Finally, several posters that frequent this forum and who are renters want LLs to treat renting as a business - well an animal is a huge risk with no indemnity for the LL, no business will take on such a risk without huge reward, why should Landlords?

I agree, cleaning up **** everyday myself, its a pain, I will have to re dig my own lawn by the end of the summer, I need to fence off an area in the garden.
    Also they will need to be constantly hoovering to get the hair up, we have a short haired dog and at times she seems to moult quite a bit, but is always leaving some hair. Against my wishes initially, the dog was restricted to the kitchen, she generally wont venture into the hall but if we weren;t there maybe she would. Having a baby and the chance the dog will walk in her own poop outside and then walk where the baby might be, its not worth it either.
    So, restrict the dog to certain parts of the house, certainly not upstairs.
    I even notice the dog smell in the kitchen, even though its masked by cooking smells, but not elsewhere.

My dog chewed our skirting boards, chairs and table before we found something she liked to chew/grew out of it. I wouldnt dream of letting her unattended near the living room suite!
    I can see how a dog could chew off pretty much what they wanted.
    Fair enough but it sounds like a worst case where the dog is completely bonkers. Maybe offering a place to rent unfurnished is the answer or if still worried there is always that alternative of just not renting to those with dogs. I suppose a good question is, if a potential tenant approached you with good references which included a mention of his or her dog would that cool the anxiety :)

Maybe the OP would consider providing their own furniture, like a sitting room suite, agree to keep the place clean and restrict the dog from access to certain parts of the house, ie not upstairs and look into any pet damage indemnity insurance if that exists? I'd rent to people that would agree to extra deposit and terms and conditions.

sungear wrote: »
    Im sure there must be somewhere available, depends on if they are limited or limiting to a specific area.

I agree, cleaning up **** everyday myself, its a pain, I will have to re dig my own lawn by the end of the summer, I need to fence off an area in the garden.
    Also they will need to be constantly hoovering to get the hair up, we have a short haired dog and at times she seems to moult quite a bit, but is always leaving some hair. Against my wishes initially, the dog was restricted to the kitchen, she generally wont venture into the hall but if we weren;t there maybe she would. Having a baby and the chance the dog will walk in her own poop outside and then walk where the baby might be, its not worth it either.
    So, restrict the dog to certain parts of the house, certainly not upstairs.
    I even notice the dog smell in the kitchen, even though its masked by cooking smells, but not elsewhere.

My dog chewed our skirting boards, chairs and table before we found something she liked to chew/grew out of it. I wouldnt dream of letting her unattended near the living room suite!
    I can see how a dog could chew off pretty much what they wanted.

Maybe the OP would consider providing their own furniture, like a sitting room suite, agree to keep the place clean and restrict the dog from access to certain parts of the house, ie not upstairs and look into any pet damage indemnity insurance if that exists? I'd rent to people that would agree to extra deposit and terms and conditions.

Now that does sound fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Things to chew; sofa, table legs, chair legs.
    Things to pee on; carpet, side of sofa. Oh, and the mattress.

Mainly puppies and badly trained hyper dogs, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Orla is a staffie cross and she chewed through a "big dog toy" that is supposed to last for weeks in................one day :eek: She's chewed through her lead, several ropes, numerous tennis balls and god knows what else.

She's very gentle but I would hate to have her attack me, her jaws are incredibly powerful and seem to be able to tackle anything. I reckon she's easily chew through timber or fabric so she can chew through anything in a house.

Now go add up the value of your sitting room - think about the cost of getting in a carpenter to replace doors and architraving, replace sofas, replace carpets that have been soiled - €3K would be simple to build up and it could be achieved by Orla in less than one week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I suppose a good question is, if a potential tenant approached you with good references which included a mention of his or her dog would that cool the anxiety :)

No. When there is likely a queue of other people without dogs, then I really don't see the point. Even if you have, say, a 3,000 euro deposit which ensures that you aren't going to be left out of pocket, you still have the hassle of replacing curtains or something. Let alone dealing with potential complaints from neighbours if the dog is barking

My point was that deposits are very low in ireland vs the potential damage (Even with inexpensive items) that can be caused. I was talking about tenants without pets.

Obviously LL are not biting the hand off tenants who offer large deposits for pets, if its so hard to find places that take pets.

I was offering suggestions as to why LL aren't keen.

Advertisement