Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odour from silicon baking cases

Options
  • 04-04-2013 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have silicon bases, cupcake cases, etc that I bought in dunnes years ago.

Does anyone else find there is a certain aroma or flavour left on cakes? More so the buns, sponge, scone types rather than the chocolate goodies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would try boiling them in some washing up liquid, then rinse it all off, then when dry sprinkle on baking soda, aka bread soda, bicarbonate of soda and leave it. It might do better soaking in a strong solution of water & baking soda, either should have an effect.

it absorbs smells, you can leave a plate of it in your fridge. The shoe people scholl sell baking soda as a shoe deodorizer for 10-20 times the price it is in the baking section, exact same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If you just mean a general rubbery taste then yeah I've had that, I don't bother with the silicone cases now.

If they haven't been used in years and stink then the above is as good if not better than any advice I could give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

It's more of a smell when the things are baked, not off the silicon in its unused state.

Advertisement