Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rushes on lawn

• 04-04-2013 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Have a lawn that is full of rushes,is this a good time to spray them or should I wait and cut them first and then spray.lawn is also patchie in places,was going to pull harrows on it ant throw a bag of seed on it.Should I wait till I spray first and seed it later in year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Rushes are usually a sign that your lawn has a drainage problem.

If it retains a lot a water when it rains then best to sort this out first before spraying and re-seeding.
    Otherwise they will just keep coming back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The PH can also affect the growth of rushes. Apply lime and it will help suppress their growth and promote the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Put some gran lime on it today,might pull the harrows on it tomorrow.would it do any harm to put fertilizer on it now as we'll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Let the lime get some rain before applying fertiliser.

How much lime did you apply?

If its a generally dry lawn then lime, fertiliser and regular mowing should check the rushes.
    If you have drainage problems it'll need sorting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Pulled harrows on it today,ground very hard.lifted a lot of dead grass.Got loads of lime,probably to much on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement