Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herbalife

Options
  • 04-04-2013 8:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭

I got marketing material through the letter-box tonight from the above crowd - a global company by all accounts.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with them that they'd like to post?

I'm aware of online allegations and the outcomes of court cases in a number of jurisdictions including Belgium & Germany.

Anything anyone wants to post?

Surprisingly good and accurate summary here on the global outfit. Any news on the Irish operation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

It would be not something I would do.

I would just try and distribute other health products which were much more straightforward as in buy and sell them and no recruitment of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

AFAIK the Irish operation is a wholly owned subsidiary of the U.S. company and is not operated independently. It may, however be operated from and supplied by the British office. Whatever is said in the wiki article should apply.

Google "Herbalife and Ackman" to see how the short seller is trying to bring Herbalife down. Fascinating story of market manipulation and how hedge funds are competing to destroy / save a company. I reckon it'll be text book stuff in a few years.

Vanity Fair has a huge article on it this month.

http://www.vanityfair.com/business/2013/04/bill-ackman-dan-loeb-herbalife

As far as companies go, Herbalife is one of the biggest in the direct sales industry, but has been vilified for some of its practices, many of which have been outlawed by the company. Belgian courts recently ruled it to be a pyramid scheme, but in Belgian law, most direct sellers are pyramid schemes. Herbalife is appealing the ruling.

PM me if you've any specific questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I would just try and distribute other health products which were much more straightforward as in buy and sell them and no recruitment of others.

You are not obliged to recruit other distributors, you can just retail the products if you wish... however the company/team leaders heavily encourage you to do so... They focus on you taking the products yourself from the beginning so that you can be the story to your friends and family. As the products work, people will see the results whether it be weight loss or just general healthy appearance and what better way to promote the product than through visible results in a person you trust. That's the way the business is built in the early days.

Team building is in no way a walk in the park... generating and chasing leads never stops as people who do seem interested go cold, people who sign up drop out early on and it is only a small % that stay committed and turn into genuine distributors. It is a constant circle that you must partake in.

Bottom line is that it is similar to most businesses in the fact that it takes consistent commitment and drive against regular setbacks to make it work. If that sounds like something you are up for, then you will be rewarded for your efforts.

You get a mentor from day one by the way (the person who signs you up) and access to their mentors ect... Training days are held monthly and these are good ways to network with experienced people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

enviro you speak above like someone who has some experience of herbalife?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Joined about 10 years ago , but could never get much further than selling to extended family / workmates .

My team leader kept going on about the residual income ........but this never transpired .

Like any business , the more you sell , the more profit you make , as the cheaper you can buy wholesale .

Herbalife never took off in the South-East .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

The Guvnor wrote: »
    enviro you speak above like someone who has some experience of herbalife?

Back when I was in school I sold some product. Never got involved on a serious level though.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Lyn256

I was a HL distributor about 6 years ago and have positive and negative experiences with them.
    They do an EXCELLENT job selling the idea to you and encouraging you to take products yourself. Some excellent sales training if you want to learn how to sell BUT
    Products very expensive to sell on-if you take a look at the ingredients and then head to Holland and Barrett and look at their product ingredients you find that the HL products are about 10 times the cost for similar ingredients.

Just be careful-some great people but a lot of pressure to recruit distributors and that was what I really didn't like

BTW-they go on about building a team and the residual income but from what I can figure about the top 1% achieve this-don;t know about anyone else but I've never been in the top 1% of anything.

If it sounds like its too good to be true . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Lyn256 wrote: »

Just be careful-some great people but a lot of pressure to recruit distributors and that was what I really didn't like

BTW-they go on about building a team and the residual income but from what I can figure about the top 1% achieve this-don;t know about anyone else but I've never been in the top 1% of anything.

There are many direct sales companies that don't require you to recruit to make money. But if you want to make more than what you can make through your own efforts, you need to build a team, and that means recruiting. In this regard Herbalife is one of the better ones. Some companies pay a very small commission on the sales of those in your team. With Herbalife you can earn 25% of the sales of your personally introduced reps. Which is the same amount you earn on your own sales when you start. Of course the price of the products can be an issue, but there are many people who wouldn't know what to buy in Holland & Barrett and so something like Herbalife can really suit them.

Advertisement