Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spot squeeze for acne

• 04-04-2013 8:54pm
    Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭

Does squeezing spots thoroughly until all pus and blood is excised work? Maybe followed by an astringent such as witch hazel ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

No. Squeezing them releases more bacteria to the surrounding skin and your hands. It's far more likely to scar if it's an open wound. I think witch hazel is alright but I've never used it, so I can't really say.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Bulky Boy

Aoifums wrote: »
    No. Squeezing them releases more bacteria to the surrounding skin and your hands. It's far more likely to scar if it's an open wound. I think witch hazel is alright but I've never used it, so I can't really say.

That's a wives tale isn't it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Don't do it. I wish someone told me when I was a young teenager to leave the zits alone. I hate my scars!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I squeeze my spots but I really wish I'd never started. However satisfying it is at the time, the scars are just not worth it, my skin is wrecked.

• Advertisement

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    I squeeze my spots but I really wish I'd never started. However satisfying it is at the time, the scars are just not worth it, my skin is wrecked.

The scars heal for me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Blood means that it is more likely to scar, also the bacteria thing is true. Always try to wash your hands before and after touching your face.

Sometimes some spots need to be squeezed (for example large black heads, or super stubborn large spots which show no sign of disappearance after a few weeks), but squeezing is not recommended by most.

If the spots are bothering you, try treatments or creams. If they are really bad, talk to a GP or dermatologist who can recommend stronger treatments or medication.

bscm wrote: »
    Blood means that it is more likely to scar, also the bacteria thing is true. Always try to wash your hands before and after touching your face.

Sometimes some spots need to be squeezed (for example large black heads, or super stubborn large spots which show no sign of disappearance after a few weeks), but squeezing is not recommended by most.

If the spots are bothering you, try treatments or creams. If they are really bad, talk to a GP or dermatologist who can recommend stronger treatments or medication.

You will scar if you pick off the scabs but not if you leave them fall off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Bulky Boy wrote: »

Do what you want, we're only telling you from experience it's a bad idea.

Bulky Boy wrote: »

Nope. If you pop a spot, then you've broken surface layers of the skin, and possibly damaged deeper layers.

If some of the layers of skin don't "grow back" properly, then you'll be left with a scar. It can happen whether you pick the scab or not. Leaving the scab is obviously better because it's a natural defence against infection but it's by no means a scar prevention method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Robyn_14

bscm wrote: »
    Nope. If you pop a spot, then you've broken surface layers of the skin, and possibly damaged deeper layers.

If some of the layers of skin don't "grow back" properly, then you'll be left with a scar. It can happen whether you pick the scab or not. Leaving the scab is obviously better because it's a natural defence against infection but it's by no means a scar prevention method.

Yep, you might get rid of the ugly lump quicker by squeezing, but as a result you will be left with scarring and uneven skin tone. Trust me- if you can at all try to leave them all.So hard though especially when they are big and sore!try a hot compresss to draw the gunk out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have never really understood why you're not supposed to squeeze when that's all the beauticians do when you go for a facial. Blackheads though, not spots to be fair. A lot of spots will disappear once you pop them. That being said, I have a few scars on my cheeks myself.

I have never really understood why you're not supposed to squeeze when that's all the beauticians do when you go for a facial. Blackheads though, not spots to be fair. A lot of spots will disappear once you pop them. That being said, I have a few scars on my cheeks myself.

Blackheads can be squeezed to an extent because they aren't really sealed over like spots, just clogged open pores. Larger blackhead will more than likely leave a mark or scar for a bit.

Search youtube for "professional spot squeezing" and you will see them doing it. Excising the infection

Advertisement