Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Add a motion sensor to existing external light

Options
  • 04-04-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi, apologies if this was previously covered here, but i did quite an extensive search and came up with nothing.....

I have a couple of external lights that i would like to hook up with a motion sensor, so i bought a Kanlux Aler JQ-30 movement sensor from ebayhttp://www.ebay.ie/itm/130587131763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

On the iside if the sensor is 3 cables, red, blue and brown......

The wires coming off the mains is brown, bue and yellow....

Now i assume that i need to insert the sensor on the electic cable before the light in order for the sensor to work.....

I have installed numerous lights with sensors attached, but never any that had the sensor seperate from it....

Can anyone provide details of how i connect the cables please... I am a little stumped by this one.....

Cheers.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

switch live into brown.... neutrals into blue....and live from lights into red. earth into whatever houses the earth

this is presuming lights are switched. if not then brown from mains to brown ... brown from lights into red and then neutrals and earths together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi, apologies if this was previously covered here, but i did quite an extensive search and came up with nothing.....

I have a couple of external lights that i would like to hook up with a motion sensor, so i bought a Kanlux Aler JQ-30 movement sensor from ebayhttp://www.ebay.ie/itm/130587131763?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

On the iside if the sensor is 3 cables, red, blue and brown......

The wires coming off the mains is brown, bue and yellow....

Now i assume that i need to insert the sensor on the electic cable before the light in order for the sensor to work.....

I have installed numerous lights with sensors attached, but never any that had the sensor seperate from it....

Can anyone provide details of how i connect the cables please... I am a little stumped by this one.....

Cheers.....

5 euro in Lidl a few weeks back.:D

A Robus outdoor PIR is around 11-12 euro in some leccy wholesalers aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

kelledy wrote: »
    this is presuming lights are switched. if not then brown from mains to brown ... brown from lights into red and then neutrals and earths together

Thanks for the reply kelledy....

The lights will be switched on, but where I am getting stumped is if I have 2 lots of cables going into the motion sensor, (1 for electricty mains and the second for the light) so in other words, there is now 3 sets of cables in the motion sensor unit, 1 for the motion sensor, 1 for the main electricity cable and 1 for the light, so which 2 do I join together.....

Does this make any sense to you our am I over complicating things....

paddy147 wrote: »

Cheers Paddy147

I already have the PIR but I just need the correct instructions to set up the cables do that the motion anchor activates the lights on movement...

• Advertisement

Cheers Paddy147

I already have the PIR but I just need the correct instructions to set up the cables do that the motion anchor activates the lights on movement...

Cheers Paddy147

I know...but you got stung for more money than you needed to pay out for 1.

Plus having to wait a few days for it to turn up too.

Lidl or a leccy wholesalers would have sold you 1 there and then on the spot.:)

I know...but you got stung fomore money than you needed to pay out for 1.

Plus having to wait a few days for it to turn up too.

Lidl or a leccy wholesalers would have sold you 1 there and then on the spot.:)

I got 2 delivered for €18, both in hindsight I should have gone the the local electrical wholesaler.... I saw your picture with the two lights connected to the motion sensor....

Can you remember what way you set the the cabling up please....

I got 2 delivered for €18, both in hindsight I should have gone the the local electrical wholesaler.... I saw your picture with the two lights connected to the motion sensor....

Can you remember what way you set the the cabling up please....

I supplied the lights and PIR....(bit of a bargain hunter so I am :))......and the sparks wired it up,when he was wiring the house and doing the final fix and fittings.

I supplied the lights and PIR....(bit of a bargain hunter so I am :))......and the sparks wired it up,when he was wiring the house and doing the final fix and fittings.

Looks well paddy.... Will try what the other poster suggested... Cheers....

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply kelledy....

The lights will be switched on, but where I am getting stumped is if I have 2 lots of cables going into the motion sensor, (1 for electricty mains and the second for the light) so in other words, there is now 3 sets of cables in the motion sensor unit, 1 for the motion sensor, 1 for the main electricity cable and 1 for the light, so which 2 do I join together.....

Does this make any sense to you our am I over complicating things....
    ok so u will have brown red and blue in pir.... brown blue and earth mains and brown blur and earth lights..
    brown from switch and pir into connector. all 3 blues / neutrals into connector. and then red from pir and brown from lights into connector. all earths into connector aswell

ok so u will have brown red and blue in pir.... brown blue and earth mains and brown blur and earth lights..
    brown from switch and pir into connector. all 3 blues / neutrals into connector. and then red from pir and brown from lights into connector. all earths into connector aswell

Thanks Kelledy,

I really appreciate the time and effort in responding..... I will sort it out asap.... Thanks again.... Will let you know how i get on later :)

Thanks Kelledy,

I really appreciate the time and effort in responding..... I will sort it out asap.... Thanks again.... Will let you know how i get on later :)

After wiring up the PIR.......If you flick on and off the light switch quickly then the outdoor lights should flick on and off and then stay on for 8 hours.

After 8 hours the lights will switch back off and the PIR motion sensor will re-activate and the lights will come on when the PIR picks up any movement.

Thats how it worls with mine anyway.

Spot on Keledy... Worked a treat... Thank you very much for all your help :)

Fair play to you for getting it working.:)

no problem . enjoy :)

Fair play to you for getting it working.:)
    Easy when you have an expert giving you advice ;)

Easy when you have an expert giving you advice ;)

Very true.:)

A few of the sparks here have helped me out in the past...and I havent forgotten it either.

You will allways get someone to assist you here,and thats why I like this place so much.:)

Advertisement