Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec or Primary teaching?

Options
  • 04-04-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Im just wondering if anyone has opinipns on home economics teaching or primary school teaching? Im doing the LC this year and im between both courses,don't know which to put first on the CAO so anyone whos able to comment please feel free to do so :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Almost no jobs in primary teaching at all, even a day subbing here and there is hard to come by-and it's going to get worse. Have you done work experience in primary?

The link below shows the total number of jobs for the entire country -there are hundreds of fully qualified and experienced teachers applying for each of these.
    http://www.educationposts.ie/adverts/primary_level/employee/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ItsPatsyG

Ya that's what i was thinking, any ideas would Home Ec be any better? Ya i done a week in my local primary school it last year and loved it...just keep changing my mind lately though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The problem with home ec is that you are then limited to what jobs you can apply for- at least with primary, you are qualified for any job-though the panel may prevent jobs even being opened to those who do not have panel rights. Have a look at the teaching forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ItsPatsyG

OK thanks for your help :)

I don't mean to be so negative, but sadly it's the reality. The much vaunted easy life the media thinks teachers have -permanent and full time hours is very much media spin and not the life on the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement