Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden design advice request

• 04-04-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice for doing up my back garden. We moved into the house (mid terraced) over a year ago and the back garden is small and we haven’t done a thing with it yet. The house is quite modern in design so a sharp looking garden is what we are hoping for! It is walled garden with quite a high wall and bank at the back that the developer planted but has become overgrown and needs a clearing out.

There is a paved patio from double doors coming from the living room (3.3m x 4m patio). The rest of the garden is pretty much a blank canvas. There is grass there currently but the garden is too small for having a lawnmower so we would like to replace that section with some raised beds that are maybe surrounded with some sharp modern looking stone. We would like some bedding plants and also a section for some herbs/vegetables. We were thinking of the raised beds along the back wall but that doesn’t get a lot of light. Has anyone ever done multiple levels of raised beds, stepped back if that makes sense? Not so much to get light but just to create different levels.

We would also like a type of storage box area (for garden tools) that could double up as a seat (stone surround, with a wooden top on hinges that we could put cushions on if required.

I am conscious of a lot of stone/concrete so we could put a modern looking strip of decking down to break it up a bit if needed.

Does anyone have any pointers or suggestions for layout?

I was going to have a go doing the work myself and with friends. I have a friend who is good with stonework. Is this a good idea or should I get the professionals in?

Appreciate any advice you can offer a clueless but ambitious gardener/homeowner looking for a nice garden!

Thanks,

H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Wow those photos look a little grim but with some creative thinking, careful planning and some effort it is surprising how the space could be quickly changed. The boundary walls are easily the best feature, not sure how well though the paving could be restored?

Agree, stay within the contemporary scheme but avoid adding too many elements, risk of becoming a little cluttered. Adding raised beds would be a good idea but think carefully what stone finish, type and colour. I would consider neutral tones for stone which would also allow the planting to provide a lush contrast. Do not forget to make good use of plant forms, go for bolder forms, a mix of large and small but with distinctive forms (avoid bedding) and also consider adding some garden lighting. This type of garden can look stunning at night.

It might be possible to minimise your storage requirements, but do avoid decking, instead consider installing a synthetic grass surface. Form and line will ultimately determine the overall style, but in this type of setting, less would definitely be more.

I'd be happy to share some photos with you.

Good luck anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

for some design ideas, have a look at the "small garden" section of: http://www.redloughlandscapes.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rigaa

hi i have am looking for some one to help guide me on the design and layout of my garden, i am based in the south east. i have a garden which measures about 1 acre (complete site including house). i have grass down and a hedging around the site but i want to do something different but also something that wont go out of date in a few years. I enjoy time spent in the garden and would love to tackle the work myself but I think some guidance would be very beneficial

Advertisement