Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theoretical Physics

• 04-04-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

HI, I'm a currently in 6th year and I'm just curious about the Theoretical Physics course in UCD. I've put TP in TCD down as my first but points are high and I'm not sure I'll get it. I've Science in UCD down as my second choice.
    The reason I want to do TP is because I love maths but i also want to study physics too as I find it fascinating.
    How much maths is involved in the TP course in UCD? If there's not that much I'd almost put Maths in TCD down as my second choice on my CAO rather than Science in UCD.
    Any info is much appreciated

Comments

I did Theoretical Physics, I think Raphael did too. I'm a bit busy to reply right now but if no one has replied by tomorrow I'll give you all the details then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Cool :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I did TP in first year, did most of the TP courses in second year and now I still share a lot of my classes with Theoretical Physics. In UCD, Theoretical Physics is kind of like a split between the school of physics and the school of maths. You do all the mathematical physics modules and most of the physics ones. By mathematical physics, I mean they now call it applied and computational maths, and of course there's tons of maths in it to sink your teeth into. In fourth year you have the option of picking all ACM modules to do, along with your core project module and two other physics modules.
    I was kinda put off physics in first year because a lot of it was just learning off and regurgitating definitions, whereas ACM had a bit more thinking involved so I picked it for my degree.

Though you haven't mentioned TP in Trinity, although you said you put down maths. I'd also recommend TP in Maynooth, and I also heard that Queens up north has the best theoretical physics course in the country.

Ruski wrote: »
    I did TP in first year, did most of the TP courses in second year and now I still share a lot of my classes with Theoretical Physics. In UCD, Theoretical Physics is kind of like a split between the school of physics and the school of maths. You do all the mathematical physics modules and most of the physics ones. By mathematical physics, I mean they now call it applied and computational maths, and of course there's tons of maths in it to sink your teeth into. In fourth year you have the option of picking all ACM modules to do, along with your core project module and two other physics modules.
    I was kinda put off physics in first year because a lot of it was just learning off and regurgitating definitions, whereas ACM had a bit more thinking involved so I picked it for my degree.

Though you haven't mentioned TP in Trinity, although you said you put down maths. I'd also recommend TP in Maynooth, and I also heard that Queens up north has the best theoretical physics course in the country.

The maths bit sounds good, but the bit in bold really puts me off Physics. That sounds like pure work without much enjoyment. I find Physics fascinating but i could easily see myself become a mathematician just to avoid tedious learning off that's involved in physics

I want to go to College somewhere near home so its TCD or UCD for me. Hopefully I'll get TCD but I'll be happy with UCD as well since it offers a very similar TP course (or so I've heard).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I did Theoretical Physics, I think Raphael did too. I'm a bit busy to reply right now but if no one has replied by tomorrow I'll give you all the details then. :)

Er.. Likewise on the busy. But yes, I'm a TP grad.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »
    Er.. Likewise on the busy. But yes, I'm a TP grad.

What's it like? don't be afraid to go into it in detail :)

I'm having trouble deciding between Maths in Trinity or Science in UCD as my 2nd choice on my CAO, since i may not get TP in Trinity. I find physics really interesting, but I'm quite passionate about maths and because of that i feel that's where my calling is. I want to study physics due to my interest in it but i feel that i will find the work quite laborous in comparison to Maths. If i did a pure maths course i probably wouldn't mind working since i enjoy it so much but i think physics might not be the same story

?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

I've got Theoretical Physics down first on my CAO, and things are looking good points wise, so all going well I'll be a TP as of September! Cannot wait, looks like an incredible course!

optimus125 wrote: »
    I've got Theoretical Physics down first on my CAO, and things are looking good points wise, so all going well I'll be a TP as of September! Cannot wait, looks like an incredible course!

You sound pretty confident, How'd you do in your mocks?

I feel I'll probably get the course as well since i would've gotten it on second round with my mock scores and I'm bound to go up from my mocks in the actualy Leaving. I'm just anxious about the points for the course going up again in case that cuts off someone like me D:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭optimus125

Undeadfred wrote: »
    You sound pretty confident, How'd you do in your mocks?

I feel I'll probably get the course as well since i would've gotten it on second round with my mock scores and I'm bound to go up from my mocks in the actualy Leaving. I'm just anxious about the points for the course going up again in case that cuts off someone like me D:

Was 30 points off in my mocks, but I was very busy at the time so was quite happy with that! A lot more work has gone in since then, and more still will go in in the next couple of weeks.

Yeah I'm curious also as to whether or not the points will go up... It's quite unlikely, considering the 50 point jump from 2011, but then again, what with the increasing interest in science/technology, who knows...

The one definite thing in our lives is the definition of the ampere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement