Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File management software

Options
  • 04-04-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

Would someone be able to recommend file management software for backing up to 2+ hardrives?
    For a win xp pc, with 2 attached external hardrives (1gb & 3 gb).
    I intend to take the 1gb and store in my parents house every month or so, swapping with another 1gb each time, i.e bring down the freshest 1gb, return with the older and back up any new/changed files from the last month and those for the next month.
    I'm paranoid about backing up after losing a lot of files a few years ago. I'd love to set up a proper nas setup but can't afford it.
    I have dropbox and looked at skydrive etc but need more storage than all those put together.
    The two scenario's I'm looking for are;
    1. If create a file and save to the 3gb, it would automatically back up to the 1gb.
    2.when the 1gbs are switched, all changed/new files will automatically back up from the 3gb.

Any help with this is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-backup-program
    , you can buy a external drive , 500gig , about 60euro.
    i presume you say 3gig drive you mean a usb pendrive.https://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2424384&topic=14942&rd=1

Now your files go everywhere you do. Change a file on the web, on your computer, or on your mobile device and it updates on every device where you’ve installed Google Drive. Share, collaborate, or work alone: your files, your choice.

Store the first 5 GB of your stuff for free.

if you have a good net connection gdrive may suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

My bad,
    Anywhere I said Gb I meant Tb.:o
    Gone way beyong thumb drived and free storage, have about 1.5 Tb of data to back up, around 400gb of photos, music and data files to keep on all drives.
    I do like the look of the genie timeline, so will give that a try. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

You could try Microsoft's SyncToy . This will probably do the job for you, if I understand what it is your looking for :)

Have a read of the info on the link and see if it suits your needs.

Basically, it will update (files, folders) , and make any necessary changes e.g. (files you've renamed, deleted etc.) to reflect anything you have done on your original source, to your backup drive. I use it regularly and i find it really handy...

EDIT: You could also look at setting up a scheduled task to run this every day/week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jsmith679

try Norton Ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Thanks Johnnybmac, I tried synctoy and it does almost everything I want. If it could select multiple subfolders then it'd be perfect. Still, it's a pretty good piece of kit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement