Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog brutally murdered in sligo town.

Options
  • 04-04-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

just heard this evening an old lady from sligo towns beloved pet dog went missing on april first, i had seen all week on facebook all the photos her family were sharing and they had offered a cash reward, her heart was broken, the dog was found this eve, dead, floating in the garavouge river, apparently his throat was cut and his head was caved in , he was beaten to death, im absolutely appalled and disgusted at this evil, shocking and sick act of unreal cruelty , if anybody has any information please contact the gardai

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Can I just also add for people who may know the family. The elderly lady does not know of the horrific circumstanes surrouding her pets death. The family have sheltered her from this disgusting ordeal by informing her that the dog got knocked down.

The whole family are traumatised that this has happened to a loved pet and would appreciate nothing be said to the lovely lady as I can only imagine the nightmares it would cause her poor soul.

Anybody with any information please come forward. If someone can do this to a friendly dog, I shiver at what they'll do to a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thequeenvic

exactly my thoughts, if someone is capable of doing this to a dog who is to say they would not do it to a child, this person or these people need to be identified asap and brought forward , poor womans heart is absolutely broken after her pet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's probably best that I don't post what I would love to do to the scummy bástards responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Utter scumbags. My blood is boiling :mad:

Such a horrible thing to do to defenceless animal.
    Evil bástards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thequeenvic

the level of abuse this poor animal suffered is beyond evil, who ever did it really needs to be brought out of their hiding place immediately because someone or some other poor mite will suffer, these people never get better only worse ,,,,sick saddo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I was truly disgusted when my friend told me what had happened to his grandmother's dog, I cannot believe the evilness of some people to do something like this to such a lovely friendly dog (or any living thing for that matter)

I hope the culprit(s) are caught and severly dealt with

It's probably best that I don't post what I would love to do to the scummy bástards responsible.

I think that's best aright. It's probably fair to say that everyone who has heard of this story have imagined their own form of justice to the culprits.

However, what I would most like to see is that the culprits are found, trialled and that this time the judge will make an example of them in regards to animal cruelty and impose a hefty sentence. It's getting ridiculous at this stage, a simple fine and citation that they can not own animals for a handful of years would be a joke which is what we usually see in animal cruelty cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

absolutely disgusting thing to do to the poor animal and the poor lady losing her companion.
    thank god that for every depraved scumbag like this there are so many decent people who couldn't even comprehend this act.

very serious crime and they deserve a severe punishment. someone somewhere knows something. hope they come forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

If I've heard correctly this dog was often let out to wander around garavogue villas or doorly park area, a very popular site for dog walkers, joggers and kids playing, that has a lot of wooded areas. I understand the desire to shield the person from what happened but I also think keeping the lid on it could put others in danger and let this subhuman get away. If theres someone that sick possibly lurking in that park people really should be aware IMO. So sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

You know this is not new in Sligo, I'm thinking back maybe 10 years there is a little old man that you would see walking in the John st area who used to have a lovely little terrier dog. The man would be very old if he is still around today. But him and his dog were a totally "cute" couple IMHO they went everywhere together. Anyway if I remember correctly some scumbags set a few "fighting" dogs on the terrier and he was tore apart in front of the little man.

^^^^ some of the above might not be exactly right but it shows the kind of tramps out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

words just escape me, i'm from sligo and can't fathom how someone can do this to a defenceless pet...hope the worthless pieces of **** get payback in some form or another

sligoface wrote: »
    If I've heard correctly this dog was often let out to wander around garavogue villas or doorly park area, a very popular site for dog walkers, joggers and kids playing, that has a lot of wooded areas. I understand the desire to shield the person from what happened but I also think keeping the lid on it could put others in danger and let this subhuman get away. If theres someone that sick possibly lurking in that park people really should be aware IMO. So sad.

I think you may have misinterpreted me. This atrocity has been made public knowledge - the Gardai are informed, OceanFm discussed it on Friday, I've no doubt it will (or should) hit the Sligo Champion on Tuesday and it's been reported through Sligo Animal Rescue's page on Facebook. I'm sure I'm missing a few areas in which it has been highlighted by now.

It is ONLY the lady who owned the dog who has been shielded. As she is in her elder years, I don't see any value in informing her of the disgusting way her pet was murdered. The idea her dog was knocked down has her upset enough. I think we can agree the family are doing a tremendous job in shielding her from this - and I again urge anyone who does indeed know the family, to please play along with the cause of death. It's a little white lie that will save the poor lady some respite in her grief.

I have no idea how the dog ended up missing. I agree that dogs should in no way be allowed to roam as dog owners should always be aware of where their pets are to prevent any damage/accidents occurring. However, should this be the case that it was wandering freely with permission, I think the family have learnt their lesson enough without the need to highlight it at this point in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Beggers belief why somebody would do this to a dog or any animal for that matter, I wonder if there was any other reports about any other dogs killed in this way around Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Nothing short of a custodial sentence should be given. And nothing short of hanging is good enough for them. Scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

rover was a lovely dog
    i hope the bastards die screaming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This is horrifying. :mad: Who would do such a heinous thing to an animal. :( Really hope these fcukers are caught and a proper punishment is handed out.

Have heard that this was done in retribution or as part of a 'family dispute', no idea why that would lead to killing the grannies dog but any way if that is true, the family probly know who did it, but don't be surprised if nothing is done about it by the gardai, the families wont want them involved. Just rumors tho, as you tend to hear about the town. The person who didit should be locked up, end of.

Have heard that this was done in retribution or as part of a 'family dispute', no idea why that would lead to killing the grannies dog but any way if that is true, the family probly know who did it, but don't be surprised if nothing is done about it by the gardai, the families wont want them involved. Just rumors tho, as you tend to hear about the town. The person who didit should be locked up, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The victim was an animal. Doesn't matter if the families don't want the Gardai involved. They can charge somebody without a complainant. It's not like getting a punch and not making a complaint.
    I have my doubts as to whether the Guards will do anything though. Several murders went unsolved in recent years. This will hardly register with them.

Have heard that this was done in retribution or as part of a 'family dispute',.......the family probly know who did it, but don't be surprised if nothing is done about it by the gardai, the families wont want them involved

That's some serious speculation!

If that were the case than why have they informed the Gardai and the event highlighted on radio/social media? They're openly asking for anyone with information to come forward. If they knew who did it, it'd be a case of wasting police time for which they can be seriously fined and sentenced for.
    il gatto wrote: »
    I have my doubts as to whether the Guards will do anything though. Several murders went unsolved in recent years. This will hardly register with them.

The Gardai can only act on information available to them. It's unfortunate that some murder cases have gone unsolved, but there's not much that can be done in any case where the trail has gone cold. The Gardai are known to be of great assistance in animal cruelty situations - they assisted in getting onto the land of the farmer neglecting horse & donkeys as well as help in getting the little kitten out of the Garavogue river near Barton Smiths.

They do as much as they can with the information and resources available to them at the time. It has already registered with them - they're aware of how people can escalate to even more appalling acts of debauchery after having murdered/tortured a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I know the grandson, and I'm sure if he knew who did it, he wouldn't hesitate to name and shame and he has also written a huge thank you on Facebook to the Gardaí for their help so far (something you don't hear very often), but that sounds to me as if they do want the Gardaí involved.

I do hope they catch the person(persons who did this and that they are made an example of

I also hope that the poor lady does not hear of what exactly happened, but Sligo is small and people talk, so I really can't see her not finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 katyeggler

Hi there , I am absolutely horrified by this story. Our dog went missing on Sunday evening 7th April from the Ballisodare area and has not been located . she is tan and white cross breed springer about 6 years old very nervous. Her details are on St Benedicts Vet surgery facebook page. If you have any details or have seen her can you contact 971 9142435.
    reward is offered for her safe return

Glad to know that its probably not true bout the family dispute rumor I heard. The dogs picture was in the champion yesterday, recognized him straight away, he was definitely often let to wander off lead by himself down near lidl and doorly park and he actually went after my dog once a while ago, but I've heard he was generally friendly.
    Katyeggler, try asking Sligo animal rescue to post the pics on their page they have a lot of followers and have helped find a lot of dogs. This incident was not near where you are but still I can understand your worry, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

katyeggler wrote: »
    Hi there , I am absolutely horrified by this story. Our dog went missing on Sunday evening 7th April from the Ballisodare area and has not been located . she is tan and white cross breed springer about 6 years old very nervous. Her details are on St Benedicts Vet surgery facebook page. If you have any details or have seen her can you contact 971 9142435.

No harm to put the details up on this site:
    http://www.pets.ie/
    They have a lost & found section, so stick up a pic(if possible) and the details.
    Best of luck and I hope you are re-united quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The especially sadistic nature of the killing makes it very hard for me to believe that this was a random attack. The dog in question was fairly harmless and anyone who thinks there is a maniac running around town hell bent on murdering unsuspecting dogs is kidding themselves.

This story has a few more twists to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

katyeggler wrote: »

Sligo Animal Rescue have shared the details and it's all over Facebook. I really hope you find your dog soon. Well done on all the posters, I've seen them everywhere.

The especially sadistic nature of the killing makes it very hard for me to believe that this was a random attack. The dog in question was fairly harmless and anyone who thinks there is a maniac running around town hell bent on murdering unsuspecting dogs is kidding themselves.

This story has a few more twists to come.

There's been a significant amount of cases of dogs being taken in Donegal and Derry to be used as bait dogs. It's hardly surprising it's happened in Sligo.

The report in the paper says that there were bite marks on Rover so suggests fighting animals were involved. It's upsetting as it's a disgusting practise to use animals like that. More unsettling that there are dogs being used as aggressors like that within the town itself!!!

Hope a positive result can be found.

yeah the bite marks reported confused me a bit as it was reported he was 'mutilated' and had a 'laceration to the neck'. he could have been in a fight before or been chewed by some animals or strays after perhaps, as he was found around the area that he usually wandered which has plenty of wildlife and a few strays as well. there's something really strange about this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Whereabout was this dog found?

• Advertisement

Sligo Animal Rescue have stated on their facebook page that E500 reward has been offered, by someone wishing to remain anonymous, for any information that will lead to the culprits getting arrested. Any information whether it may seem insignificant would be greatly appreciated. Contact the local Garda station.

Advertisement