Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog brutally murdered in sligo town.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

A reward of 500 euro has been posted by an anonymous person for anyone with information leading to the culprit being identified. Seen it on Sligo Animal Rescues facebook page. Hopefully this will entice someone to spill the beans on the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I would hope anyone with any information would come forward regardless of the reward, that 500€ could be put to better use, but if it helps find the person(s) then OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    That's some serious speculation!

If that were the case than why have they informed the Gardai and the event highlighted on radio/social media? They're openly asking for anyone with information to come forward. If they knew who did it, it'd be a case of wasting police time for which they can be seriously fined and sentenced for.

The Gardai can only act on information available to them. It's unfortunate that some murder cases have gone unsolved, but there's not much that can be done in any case where the trail has gone cold. The Gardai are known to be of great assistance in animal cruelty situations - they assisted in getting onto the land of the farmer neglecting horse & donkeys as well as help in getting the little kitten out of the Garavogue river near Barton Smiths.

They do as much as they can with the information and resources available to them at the time. It has already registered with them - they're aware of how people can escalate to even more appalling acts of debauchery after having murdered/tortured a dog.

They can only operate on information available to them? What does that even mean? Surely the aim of any investigation is to gain more information.
    I've met many Gardai, often diligent and hardworking, but unfortunately all too often I've seen investigations just slip quietly away. Their help in animal cruelty cases is part of their job. As much time as I have for individual Gardai, this is the force that knocked on one door on Old Market Street after hearing a man was tied up in his home.
    My point was that I think that unless the case is solved quickly, it probably won't be solved. I've seen more serious crimes become cold cases far too quickly. I fear that as soon as the public forget, it'll be dropped. If someone comes forward with the names of those responsible, all the better, but that is a lucky break rather than policework.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Telbert

sligoface wrote: »
    Have heard that this was done in retribution or as part of a 'family dispute', no idea why that would lead to killing the grannies dog but any way if that is true, the family probly know who did it, but don't be surprised if nothing is done about it by the gardai, the families wont want them involved. Just rumors tho, as you tend to hear about the town. The person who didit should be locked up, end of.

Your talking rubbish! There was no "family dispute" at all.EVERYONE in the family are sickened by this despicable act. And as for them not wanting the Gardai involved ,it was them that first reported it .They all want the scum responsible for this to be caught quickly and people repeating or making up rumours isn't going to help is it? And i doubt if the family would like to hear these sick lies repeated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

What family owned the dog??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

As I said, it is 'just a rumor'. I heard it, didn't say I believed it. it could certainly be a random attack, there are some very cruel people out there, which is why pet owners should never let their pets roam unsupervised, anything could happen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

katyeggler wrote: »
    Hi there , I am absolutely horrified by this story. Our dog went missing on Sunday evening 7th April from the Ballisodare area and has not been located . she is tan and white cross breed springer about 6 years old very nervous. Her details are on St Benedicts Vet surgery facebook page. If you have any details or have seen her can you contact 971 9142435.
    reward is offered for her safe return[
    /QUOTE]

Any update on this dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

il gatto wrote: »
    They can only operate on information available to them? What does that even mean? Surely the aim of any investigation is to gain more information.
    I've met many Gardai, often diligent and hardworking, but unfortunately all too often I've seen investigations just slip quietly away. Their help in animal cruelty cases is part of their job. As much time as I have for individual Gardai, this is the force that knocked on one door on Old Market Street after hearing a man was tied up in his home.
    My point was that I think that unless the case is solved quickly, it probably won't be solved. I've seen more serious crimes become cold cases far too quickly. I fear that as soon as the public forget, it'll be dropped. If someone comes forward with the names of those responsible, all the better, but that is a lucky break rather than policework.

Sorry, have I offended you? If so apologies, that wasn't my intention.

What I meant was, due to the circumstances surrounding how the poor dog was found, there's very little leads to go on. Of course it's their job to gain information, I meant that, but the only available sources they had to work on was pretty much asking for witnesses to come forward and knocking on a few doors. It's a small trail to follow and they can only act on available information. They can't wave a wand and magic some up from thin air. It's a difficult case to work on when you're pretty much looking at a dead end from the beginning.

Cases don't slip away, they go cold. When all avenues have been exhausted what can you expect them to do?? The Guards are just as frustrated when they don't get the end result finding the cause/perpetrators. Yes, their job is indeed assisting in animal cruelty cases, I didn't state otherwise, just that they have helped in the past and why wouldn't they continue to do so in this case.

Indeed that was a terrible thing which occured on Old Market Street, and an investigation into how it was handled was carried out. But unless you were involved in the case, you can't really speculate on only one door being knocked on.

It irks me when people degrade the Guards and state that it'd be luck rather than police work in solving this case. That's incredibly unfair. They do as good a job as they possibly can in regards to the significant reduced number of Guards available now to the county and the amount of stations closed increasing time/distance for them to get to a situation.

What further police work do you think they should do which they haven't already considered themselves? People expect too much from the Guards sometimes.

I honestly don't think the public will forget this either, at least I hope not. There seems to be a large amount of people wanting to see the perpetrators caught. I think this case has really hit home in Sligo that someone in the area could have done such a thing. It still makes my skin crawl and I agree wholeheartedly with you when I say I hope this doesn't become a cold case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

red sean wrote: »
    Any update on this dog?

I don't think so, picture was circulated again through facebook :(

Advertisement