Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re:: I own a house and don't know if I can get social welfare

• 04-04-2013 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I hope someone on here can help me.

I recently was laid off and my wife is also unemployed. We had to rent our house a few years ago and move in with relations to pay our mortgage. I am going to see the swo tmr and want to know will I be entitled to Any payment because my hse is rented out even though the rent don't cover the mortgage. Any advise appreciated. Ps we have kids too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

Yes you can claim, your home won't be an issue. If you had a second or more properties then that would be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elusivelady

Thanks for the reply, we have one reply , I guess they will want to see that the hse is registered for tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Jobseekers Benefit details below. It isn't means tested and is paid for about a year while you look for work

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseeker%27s-Benefit.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

This is just re: Jobseekers Allowance -

My mother was in a similar boat. Was renting the house to pay the mortgage and living with a friend. The SW considered the money she got in rent as 'income' and she wasn't entitled to much/anything until the tenant moved out and she moved back in.

Your best bet is talking to them yourself/checking with Citizen's Information first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

maringo wrote: »
    Jobseekers Benefit details below. It isn't means tested and is paid for about a year while you look for work

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseeker%27s-Benefit.aspx

Just for clarification jobseekers benefit is now only paid for 6 months or 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you dont qualify for jobseekers benefit and have to apply for means tested jobseekers allowance your property will be assessed under the criteria of outstanding mortgage versus capital value.... if your property is in negative equity then no means will apply from it.

Advertisement