Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pumped wall insulation cost - huge differences

Options
  • 04-04-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi,

Getting windows fitted in a new build Thursday next week and want to get the 150mm cavity pumped the following day.

Have got 2 out of 3 prices back so far. Big differences in price so far !

House has ~200 m2 of external walls (that excludes windows and doors) with a 150mm cavity ... - ~30 m3 of bead by my calculations. Don't know what area/volume that guys that quoted me have used.
    One guy using eco-bead has a price of 2800 + VAT
    The other using enviro-bead has price of 1800 + VAT

I'm struggling to see the difference between the 2 products, i.e.: similar u-values.
    Does the 2,800 seem a bit dear ?
    Anything else i should consider ? I presume super silver bead is much the same product ?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to Prices/costs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Do you know anyone they have done work for before, you can then gauge quality of work/product. Seems a massive difference in price for a reasonably small job!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭blast06

I don't know of anyone but need to find out !
    The default of course is to go with the cheaper option.
    However, how do you know if these guys actually fill the cavity up to the top ?!
    Anyone any experience of this in terms of price ?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 46,052 ✭✭✭✭muffler

blast06 wrote: »
    The other using enviro-bead has price of 1800 + VAT
    Does this have a NSAI Agrement Cert?

Edit/ it has been certified and its something you should read to familiarise yourself with how the instillation procedure is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

blast06 wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone but need to find out !
    The default of course is to go with the cheaper option.
    However, how do you know if these guys actually fill the cavity up to the top ?!
    Anyone any experience of this in terms of price ?
    Cheers
    Mention you are going to do a thermal image testing and see if that might get their attention. Referals are always the best when you are not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Mention you are going to do a thermal image testing and see if that might get their attention. Referals are always the best when you are not sure.

+1. Add it into the quote. If it's not done right they must remedy it and cover cost of re-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Mention you are going to do a thermal image testing and see if that might get their attention.
    just do it wrote: »
    +1. Add it into the quote. If it's not done right they must remedy it and cover cost of re-test.

Lads, this is a new build. Thermal imaging survey requires minimum 10 degC differential. If no heating available then a ti survey may well give a false positive especially if general external temperatures increase as is forecast.

OP:
    Best guarantee of success is:
    1. Read and familiarise yourself with the agrement cert (print it out and have it with you on the day of the work).
    2. get referrals and go visit/talk to the clients
    3. be there for the duration of the work, ask installers loads of questions (e.g how do you know when the cavity is filled?, how many bags of beads needed, contents of bags), note (and let them see you noting this) the amount of bead installed (keep the bags), the drill pattern etc.
    4. If, after installation, there is any area of wall you are concerned about, then have it checked with a borescope survey (make this part of the deal).

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Lads, this is a new build. Thermal imaging survey requires minimum 10 degC differential. If no heating available then a ti survey may well give a false positive especially if general external temperatures increase as is forecast.

OP:
    Best guarantee of success is:
    1. Read and familiarise yourself with the agrement cert (print it out and have it with you on the day of the work).
    2. get referrals and go visit/talk to the clients
    3. be there for the duration of the work, ask installers loads of questions (e.g how do you know when the cavity is filled?, how many bags of beads needed, contents of bags), note (and let them see you noting this) the amount of bead installed (keep the bags), the drill pattern etc.
    4. If, after installation, there is any area of wall you are concerned about, then have it checked with a borescope survey (make this part of the deal).
    A thermal image would not be done until the house is completed and heated inside. The thermal image will reveal any holes, faults in the insulation and op can then go back to the company who pumped the cavity, show them the faults and bill them for any further works as they were previously warned. Point being once you let them know you are checking their work, we are hoping it will make them do it properly and it if is not correct they will be fixing it from their own pocket. This goes without saying for anybody who does work on the build. It is sad state of affairs when we have to resort to these measures to get a good job done.

Advertisement