Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T roles and some advice

Options
  • 05-04-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice;

We are toying with the idea of Australia for a year or possibly longer. My question is, if I went on WHV what are my chances of finding work on the WHV?

I work at an ISP but I can also work in tech support, system admin, network admin type roles.

Also, I am currently 30. How long does it take to process the WHV

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

IT isnt all that great at the moment from what I gather but you of course might get something. You will have to decide fairly quick as you are 30 already. WHV only takes a week or so to process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Thanks for the reply..

At the moment I think ill apply for the visa and keep my options open.

Another question if I may, given my occupation is listed on the SOL is the cost ~3000?

I got that figure from immi.gov.au but Im not sure if that is the correct visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

You are confusing the visas, the WHV was about 500 dollars when I got it (may have gone up slightly - see immi.gov.au, it is a 417 you will be looking for)

The SOL is only in relation to PR or other longer term visa such as a 457

Oh yes I know the SOL is a long term visa but that costs around 3k?

immi.gov.au, it is a 417

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

when you do find the details on the immi site, DO THE SUBMISSION YOURSELF

it is so easy and it is not worth paying a visa company to do it

Very basic form and I had the WHV in 24 hours after I submitted it

Legend100 wrote: »
    when you do find the details on the immi site, DO THE SUBMISSION YOURSELF

it is so easy and it is not worth paying a visa company to do it

Very basic from and I had the WHV in 24 hours after I submitted it

Agreed. I just found the correct visa thanks to your previous post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The WHV is only about $250. I got mine about 4 months ago and that's what i paid anyway.

As for IT work, there is a fair bit of it out there, but being on a WHV definitely limits what you can do. I've been in Melbourne for just over a month now, and have gotten a contract job (win 7 migration and network upgrade) for the next 4 months. Will try for another 6 months contract after that, and will keep applying for any permament positions that i can (in the hopes of sponsorship), but we'll see how it goes. Didn't take too much searching for this job (a few applications a day on SEEK), but of the jobs i applied for, around 80% of them said they weren't willing to take on people who didn't have PR or citizenship. They did say that the contract market was pretty slow at the moment, and they hoped it would pickup in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Kiith wrote: »
    The WHV is only about $250. I got mine about 4 months ago and that's what i paid anyway.

As for IT work, there is a fair bit of it out there, but being on a WHV definitely limits what you can do. I've been in Melbourne for just over a month now, and have gotten a contract job (win 7 migration and network upgrade) for the next 4 months. Will try for another 6 months contract after that, and will keep applying for any permament positions that i can (in the hopes of sponsorship), but we'll see how it goes. Didn't take too much searching for this job (a few applications a day on SEEK), but of the jobs i applied for, around 80% of them said they weren't willing to take on people who didn't have PR or citizenship. They did say that the contract market was pretty slow at the moment, and they hoped it would pickup in the coming months.

Kiith, contacy Tom Lewis at seed talent. sound guy and if he has something going he will sort you out. this is for melb btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

IT work seems to be mostly contract work. I've been here 9 months on a whv & had 2 contract jobs, though both for the same place. In some cases, particularly with bigger companies, if u get in on contract & prove yourself they will consider keeping you, but WHV is definitely a turn off, I've applied for a lot of jobs where I've had the reaction that my cv & work experience is great but they're not willing to sponsor.

I'd just accepted I was probably going home when I was offered a permanent role with sponsorship. Then hours after i accepted my old contract role asked me to come back & theyd sponsor me, but again it was just a contract so i went with the new job. Now I just have to hope that it all works out ok.

• Advertisement

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

I'm 30yrs of age and came out in November last year on a State Skill Sponsored visa. I got ACS assessment as System Administrator and sponsored by NSW government. The only restriction on my visa is I must live and work anywhere in NSW for first 2 yrs. I felt this visa was better fit for me than the WHV.

I found it tough going to start with it as alot of agencies didn't realise I had a PR visa. Once I got spoke to a few face to face or on the phone and explained my situation the interviews started to come. I did 60 interviews in the six weeks leading up to Christmas and got offered position in over 35 instances. One thing that need to get used to is the amount of time it can take to make decision. One company which I did interview for on 19th December came back about three weeks ago to offer me the position.

I'm currently working in Sydney as a System Engineer working on some very interesting projects which I don't think would exist back home. It is permanent role and was only advertised on LinkedIn. The two best sources of jobs are Seek.com.au and LinkedIn.

I'm not looking at the moment so cannot comment what market is like. I do still get 1 or 2 phone calls a week from different recruiters so must be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

I'm in Melbourne currently looking for a Testing job if anyone knows of any!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If anyone has strong Java (ideally IBM RAD/websphere) we're looking for developers depending on experience 600+ p/d
    You'll need to have some sort of Visa.

I'm 30yrs of age and came out in November last year on a State Skill Sponsored visa. I got ACS assessment as System Administrator and sponsored by NSW government. The only restriction on my visa is I must live and work anywhere in NSW for first 2 yrs. I felt this visa was better fit for me than the WHV.

I found it tough going to start with it as alot of agencies didn't realise I had a PR visa. Once I got spoke to a few face to face or on the phone and explained my situation the interviews started to come. I did 60 interviews in the six weeks leading up to Christmas and got offered position in over 35 instances. One thing that need to get used to is the amount of time it can take to make decision. One company which I did interview for on 19th December came back about three weeks ago to offer me the position.

I'm currently working in Sydney as a System Engineer working on some very interesting projects which I don't think would exist back home. It is permanent role and was only advertised on LinkedIn. The two best sources of jobs are Seek.com.au and LinkedIn.

I'm not looking at the moment so cannot comment what market is like. I do still get 1 or 2 phone calls a week from different recruiters so must be ok.

To be honest this visa looks a better fit. I would prefer to travel sometime after my 32nd birthday, going before then doesn't really suit me.

How did you find the ACS assessment, can you equate it to relevant I.T certification exams?

Also how much did that visa cost you?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

T-K-O wrote: »

How did you find the ACS assessment, can you equate it to relevant I.T certification exams?

I had an acs assessment done in july last year my mcitp and mcp certs were assessed as diplomas with a major in computing for the visa application and my BSc was assessed as a BSc with a major in computing as well if I remember right.

Employers I assume will just see vendor certs as vendor certs like they do in ireland. Assessment cost about 400, all in for visa, assessment and medicals it cost about 3k if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

The cost of ACS assessment when I applied was about $350 and I think it is now $450. I supplied the documentation listed below and got positive result back in 6 - 8 weeks. I think I spent between 3.5k and 4K getting the visa. When I applied ACS assessment was only valid for 12 months I think and at time you could pay additional fee to get it extended.
    I applied in February 2011 and got response back middle of April I think. My application to NSW government didn't go in till Feb 2012 as Australian Capital Territories were only state sponsoring Sys Admins up till November 2011 when NSW added it to list.
    Once I got green light from NSW my application went to DIAC in May 2012 and in June was asked to go for medical and police clearance. June 22nd my visa was approved. From date your visa is approved you have about 10 to 11 months to make first entry into Australia to activate your visa. You can then come and go as you please for next 5 yrs.

1. Copy of degree from University.
    2. Copy of all my student records for the 4 years stamped by the Registrar. (Required)
    3. Copy of all my vendor certs. You must supply any verification links and password in your application form.
    4. In my case a statutory declaration detailing my job at the time. Didn't want my employer to get wind of my intentions before I was made redundant.
    5. Contracts and payslips to prove I was working for that company at time of my application.
    6. References from all previous IT jobs detailing daily duties and responsibilities.
    7. Copy of my CV.

Brilliant,

Very informative, Now I just need to make a decision. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Was looking for an entry level role in Melbourne myself, but had very little luck or feedback. Most positions want plenty of experience. Given up hope now to be honest as I've found some casual work. Only planned on staying here 6 months, but was hoping I'd find something to entice me to stay longer, but I'll definitely be moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

The fact is and always will be, people on WHV can only be employed on short term contracts. So all the companies here only employ WHV people if they need contract workers. Don't fool yourself in thinking OZ is an easy way of a new life, it's not. WHV shouldn’t be used as a means of trying to short cut the migration process.

It should be used for what it was always intended for a way of having an adventure in another country for a year or two. If you come here with that frame of mind you’ll have a ball. If you come with the migration frame of mind you could be in for a big shock.
    When I first came here in 2000 I had an engineering and IT background but spent the year delivering papers, painting and decorating anything to make ends meet. I feel in love with the place but it took me 10 years to get back.
    So please do come, enjoy but see the WHV for what it is a working HOLIDAY visa .

• Advertisement

No need to worry. I have no grand plan when it comes to the migration process.

Both of us want to experience as much as possible while there. However I enjoy my work and would prefer to continue in my chosen field during that 6 month period.

Appreciate the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ozeire wrote: »
    The fact is and always will be, people on WHV can only be employed on short term contracts. So all the companies here only employ WHV people if they need contract workers. Don't fool yourself in thinking OZ is an easy way of a new life, it's not. WHV shouldn’t be used as a means of trying to short cut the migration process.

It should be used for what it was always intended for a way of having an adventure in another country for a year or two. If you come here with that frame of mind you’ll have a ball. If you come with the migration frame of mind you could be in for a big shock.
    When I first came here in 2000 I had an engineering and IT background but spent the year delivering papers, painting and decorating anything to make ends meet. I feel in love with the place but it took me 10 years to get back.
    So please do come, enjoy but see the WHV for what it is a working HOLIDAY visa .

That's exactly what I've taken it to mean, but it's been far from a holiday. I really like Melbourne and could see myself living here if the right job came up, but I have a job waiting for me back home, so I'll be heading back to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

L'prof wrote: »
    That's exactly what I've taken it to mean, but it's been far from a holiday....

Guys L'prof is right. If you are looking to get proper decent work in your occupation, you need to be on a visa that will enable you to get involved in projects that are planned to go on for more than a few months.

Employers don't want WHV makers because of the knowledge transfer involved on the project and then all of a sudden, the WHV guy has to leave and it is difficult for someone else to come in to finish the job.

If you are lucky enough to get sponsored - that is great - but DIAC is clamping down on this now also.

So the realistic option for people is a state sponsored migration visa or the independent visa. You need to be aware that these take time to be processed - 6 - 12 months or so. It is difficult to wait that long but once you have it granted then the job offers just come flooding in as a permanent resident.

They are points based visas and most applicants will need to sit an English language test to meet the minimum requirements. ACS skill assessment is part of the process.

Fees are
    DIAC - AUD 3060
    Assessment - AUD 450
    Medicals - AUD 250 approx
    English language test - AUD 200 approx
    Agent fees - vary considerable AUD 3000 - 6000

Regards,
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yes if everyone only seen that WHV = Temp random jobs. Then everything would be a lot better for people and wouldn't have all these people given out that they can't get permanent jobs.

The expos back n Ireland have got to stop filling peoples heads with pipe dreams of coming out here on a WHV n landing $100000 job n sponsor .

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Ozeire wrote: »
    Yes if everyone only seen that WHV = Temp random jobs. Then everything would be a lot better for people and wouldn't have all these people given out that they can't get permanent jobs.

The expos back n Ireland have got to stop filling peoples heads with pipe dreams of coming out here on a WHV n landing $100000 job n sponsor .

Totally agree - if you want a decent job, you will need to consider getting a permanent resident visa otherwise you will find it very difficult to land anything remotely decent.

Declan Clune

I wouldn't say you won't find anything remotely decent, you just will find it very hard to get anything long term. There are some decent contract jobs available.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

I just got a job as a Tester in Perth. 3 month contract with possible extension and sponsorship. Yahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

congrats! well done

I hate you, but congrats :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Does it speed up the application process for the skilled visa if you're currently working in Oz (on a WHV)?

I arrived in Sydney in February, got some contracting work fairly quickly, reckon I wanna stay longer than a year (no interest in farming) so I was gonna apply for the skilled visa, but it's probably gonna take longer than 10 months right so I'd have to go home before I get it?

Could I get a bridging visa or something like that if my WHV was up but waiting on a skilled visa to be processed?

Advertisement