Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Environmental Grads

• 05-04-2013 1:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

Howdy, so here goes:

I'm thinking of applying to ucd's access science course this year with a view to starting a Bsc in 2014. I have looked through the science brochure and the environmental biology pathway appealed to me.

I am curious though, as to where such a degree would take me, are there enviro-grads on boards? And if so what kind of jobs are you doing? I noticed a thread a while back decrying the state of the jobs market for enviro grads here, so have you guys had to emigrate or have you found jobs in Ireland??

Many thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Howdy, so here goes:

I'm thinking of applying to ucd's access science course this year with a view to starting a Bsc in 2014. I have looked through the science brochure and the environmental biology pathway appealed to me.

I am curious though, as to where such a degree would take me, are there enviro-grads on boards? And if so what kind of jobs are you doing? I noticed a thread a while back decrying the state of the jobs market for enviro grads here, so have you guys had to emigrate or have you found jobs in Ireland??

Many thanks for any replies.

Anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

I did my degree in environmental & agricultural science in UCD & then my masters in GIS & environmental resource management (UCC). I don't regret the path I chose and would do it again but I found that after my degree that I wasn't qualified for agricultural jobs (ie people who had studied animal science or crop science were) or for environmental jobs as my degree was very broad. I was a jack of all trades but a master of none or that's at least how I felt.

I do have a career in the agri-environmental sector & am currently in Canada.

My attitude would be do something you will enjoy for your degree and if do go on to furthers studies do something that will get you the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    I did my degree in environmental & agricultural science in UCD & then my masters in GIS & environmental resource management (UCC). I don't regret the path I chose and would do it again but I found that after my degree that I wasn't qualified for agricultural jobs (ie people who had studied animal science or crop science were) or for environmental jobs as my degree was very broad. I was a jack of all trades but a master of none or that's at least how I felt.

I do have a career in the agri-environmental sector & am currently in Canada.

My attitude would be do something you will enjoy for your degree and if do go on to furthers studies do something that will get you the job.

Many thanks for the advice, from what you've said there it seems that both a masters and leaving the country are necessary, food for thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Sorry, I should have clarify, I left a job in Ireland to come here but only had the job because I had my masters.

Advertisement