Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyosung gt125r ANY INFO???

Options
  • 05-04-2013 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hey there well I turned 17 there a few days ago which means Its a year since i could apply for my a1 licence and drive on my provisional but i held off until i had more money for a decent motorbike. I have my mind set on the Hyosung gt125r as i think its a gorgeous bike and under 11k/w which the a1 restricts you to. There's practically no info from Irish owners though on the internet and i peas hoping someone would have an opinion or any insight into what they're like to drive/maintainir whatever? :) and also any indication what the insurance would be like on an 2009 model with my learner permit as a first bike? I know my friend is paying €1200 for his 07 aprilia rs 125 which is very fast, i hope it wouldn't be that much? Thanks for the help! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It's a motor bike so post in the motorbike forum
    That's the info I have
    Also it's crap
    That's what I'll tell you in the motorbike forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055821156

Here's one I prepared earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Budget bike. End of. I have no idea how reliable they are in the real world especially if you're likely to be heavy handed or neglectful of maintenance.

They were very popular in NZ when I was there. There was a big dealership in Auckland not far from where I lived and there were racing championships for the 250s. The 250 chassis is apparently the same size as the 650 making them popular with learners over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭dquirke1

Like others have said, its a cheap bike and not the best for reliability...
    For your first bike, Its probably best to stick to the big brands. Honda, yamaha, suzuki, etc.
    They all do 125s as well if thats what your after.

I've personally put close to 40,000 miles on a Honda CBR 125 in a little over a year with no problems whatsoever.

Re insurance, around a grand sounds about right for a 17yo on a 125 sportsbike. it comes down pretty quickly once you pass the test and get a year or two NCB.

BTW, be sure to budget for IBT and lessons, helmet and gear, tyres, chain and sprocket and repairs for when you inevitably drop it... the bike is only the start of the expenses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

My friend bought one of those for his first bike, after I'd advised him against it. He always had problems with it. The Honda's Aprilias and Yamaha's are probably a safer bet, but I wouldn't be too keen on a small Suzuki. They do big bikes well, but their smaller range are shoite in my opinion.

Personally I always say that if they're not popular then it's for a reason, either they're rubbish or hard to get, or sometimes both.

Advertisement