Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 block internet access

Options
  • 05-04-2013 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm trying to block internet access on a PC we have in a common area. The PC is used to run a particular program but we want to remove acceess to the internet while allowing access to teamviewer. What is the best way to do this? It's Windows 7 Professional. Have tried to block DNS but then cannot access teamviewer. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You need access to the internet to use TeamViewer. You wont be able to block access to the internet and still use TeamViewer, but you might be able to block access to websites. You could try blocking all ports except the ones TeamViewer uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

GarIT wrote: »
    You need access to the internet to use TeamViewer. You wont be able to block access to the internet and still use TeamViewer

Not true, allow incoming LAN connections and you can connect Teamviewer via IP address:

HUURPAp.jpg

You can choose to accept LAN connections only:

tZDEd6e.jpg

As you can see here, DNS is not configured and yet Teamviewer works fine but internet access does not.

msmsudO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dextor03

Torqay wrote: »
    Not true, allow incoming LAN connections and you can connect Teamviewer via IP address:

HUURPAp.jpg

You can choose to accept LAN connections only:

tZDEd6e.jpg

As you can see here, DNS is not configured and yet Teamviewer works fine but internet access does not.

msmsudO.jpg

Do I then need to set up port forwarding on the router to access externally?

dextor03 wrote: »
    Do I then need to set up port forwarding on the router to access externally?

Do you need to access this computer from outside your local network?

Torqay wrote: »
    Do you need to access this computer from outside your local network?

Yes

• Advertisement

I can't test this right now, but enable DNS and set your internet connection to use a dummy proxy (0.0.0.0) and see if Teamviewer still works.

You can then disable access to the Internet Options via Group Policy so nobody can tinker with the settings.

Port forwarding on port 5938 worked a treat. Up and running now. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement