Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw advice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi CJ would you be able to post a couple of pics of the different handle types, safe and non safe please
    Rear Handlestihl_ms_200.jpg

Top handle
    MS200T_Sprocket-Side_72dpi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Hi CJ would you be able to post a couple of pics of the different handle types, safe and non safe please
    There's really no such thing as a 'safe' chainsaw, more like 'dangerous' and 'more dangerous' :D

Top-handle saws are considered to be in the 'more dangerous' category, because in spite of them 'only' usually having 30cc or smaller engines and 12" or so bars, they're usually used up close and personal in awkward and difficult situations, and the physics of the layout of the handles makes controlling them more difficult than a conventional rear-handle saw.
    That's before you even consider the temptation to use them one-handed, which simply multiplies the possibility of things going badly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Daithio12

thekooman wrote: »
    that's why we got it... nice and light and not killing ourselves with a big saw. it was recommended to us by the Husqvarna agent. we have it 7 years now and wouldn't change it for the world. thanks for the advice though... am 10 times more careful now anyways but it could have happened with any saw.

in terms of money it was 400+ at the time.
    Have a look at the link below and in particular the section on "top handle" chainsaws, it explains it in better detail than I ever could.
    I trained as a tree surgeon and I can't think of any reason why one would use a THC over a normal rear handle one on the ground.
    There simply is no advantage.
    The agent must have been desperate for the sale, frankly he was been irresponsible at best.

Advertisement