Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headphone recommendations?

• 05-04-2013 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for quality headphones, mainly for listening to music and watching movies / gaming late at night. Have about €100 to spend, more if a set are worth it. I've had a look at the sticky but seems all about ear buds.

Preferably a decent length of cable (so I don't have to use an extension), doesn't need a microphone as I'm not really into online gaming and have a €30 Creative headset for that anyway. The sound is okay from them but they are uncomfortable. So I'm after a comfortable pair with quality sound that will hopefully last a while.

I was considering these as they have a 3.5mm jack as well as being wireless but have heard the casing is prone to cracking and they have a mic which I don't really need.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 215s which I used to use in the office a lot.

REALLY big circum-aural pads which are quite comfy for long periods of time (because they don't press on your ear lobes), long spiral-cord cable, good sound.
    Also they're closed, so less chance of annoying someone else in the house with your sound.

Should be within budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 215s which I used to use in the office a lot.

REALLY big circum-aural pads which are quite comfy for long periods of time (because they don't press on your ear lobes), long spiral-cord cable, good sound.
    Also they're closed, so less chance of annoying someone else in the house with your sound.

Should be within budget.

Cheers. Came across these while checking them out, hopefully they're just as comfortable and they come with a 3 metre cable.

After doing a bit of research, went for a V Moda set in the end.
    Little more expensive but will hopefully last a long time.

Supposed to have excellent build quality, sound, comfort yada yada :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/V-Moda-Crossfade-Over-Ear-Headphones-Control/dp/B005HMBQR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365590456&sr=8-1&keywords=v+moda+lp2

Just one other question...sorry if it's obvious, I'm new to all this.

I have a PS3 connected to HDTV with HDMI. I can then plug the headphones into the headphone socket on the TV.

Would there be any noticable improvement in sound quality it I was to:

1) use the optical out on the PS3 and get a digital to analogue converter and then an analogue to 3.5mm adapter or

2) just use the AV out on the PS3 with an analogue to 3.5mm adapter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

sin0city wrote: »
    Just one other question...sorry if it's obvious, I'm new to all this.

I have a PS3 connected to HDTV with HDMI. I can then plug the headphones into the headphone socket on the TV.

Would there be any noticable improvement in sound quality it I was to:

1) use the optical out on the PS3 and get a digital to analogue converter and then an analogue to 3.5mm adapter or

2) just use the AV out on the PS3 with an analogue to 3.5mm adapter?
    Option 1 probably won't work, and no point anyway.

Option 2 is viable EXCEPT you'd lose volume control.

• Advertisement
Advertisement