Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arctic install support

• 05-04-2013 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

First attempt at trying to put together a htpc

I bought the barebone arctic mc unit

Got the ram and a ssd drive which i have installed

I been reading a bit and have decided to try and install either

openelec arctic mc x86

or xbmcuntu not sure which one to select from these
    http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbuntu/

Have found a wired usb keyboard to hook up to the back

Just to put me on the right track

When I load the files onto a usb stick and power up then go to bios and select usb, will it automatically run through or will I have to make adjustments

Will the files from the usb transfer to the ssd hard drive automatically?

Should I partition the hard drive and run both openelec and xbmcuntu. Im mainly going to be using it for xbmc.

Thanks for any help, just don't wanna do any major damage before I power the unit up

Comments

skydish79 wrote: »
    When I load the files onto a usb stick and power up then go to bios and select usb, will it automatically run through or will I have to make adjustments

In OpenElec you just follow the prompts and press Enter once or twice.
    Will the files from the usb transfer to the ssd hard drive automatically?

Yes, it checks for hard-drives and gives you a list. If you only have the SSD then that will be your only option.
    Should I partition the hard drive and run both openelec and xbmcuntu. Im mainly going to be using it for xbmc.

Dual boot setups are a little bit more complicated. If you are not experienced with stuff like this then I would stick with a single OS for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭skydish79

Downloaded the openelec file, extracted the zip files, transferred them to formatted usb stick

Went into cmos setup utility, and choose removable device as 1st boot option
    2nd option is the ssd hard drive which i installed

Popped usb into one of the slots
    Saved and nothing happened

Just getting reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key

Make sure the thumbdrive is named OPENELEC (you can rename it in Windows easily). And also make sure the thumbdrive is in one of the rear ports; the front USB ports can't be booted from.

Also double-check the BIOS boot options because the thumbdrive may be seen as a HDD and there is also a secondary boot order option to sort HDDs.

Ok didnt know I had to create an install key on my laptop!!

skydish79 wrote: »
    Ok didnt know I had to create an install key on my laptop!!
    Yes, you run a program which creates the bootable usb stick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Did you get on ok with this?

hi yes i did thanks

Advertisement