Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

isn't their a web line checker that tells ya if you're directly connected to the exchange? I would suggest you google it and see if you are. If you are - you're the same as me and you will have to wait it out. It sucks but thats the badly wired country we live in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

damienirel wrote: »
    isn't their a web line checker that tells ya if you're directly connected to the exchange? I would suggest you google it and see if you are. If you are - you're the same as me and you will have to wait it out. It sucks but thats the badly wired country we live in.

Is there one that tells you exactly what exchange/cabinet you're linked to? I've only seen the one on eir's site where you put your number/address in. Funnily enough it said I could get fibre at 7mb until about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is there one that tells you exactly what exchange/cabinet you're linked to? I've only seen the one on eir's site where you put your number/address in. Funnily enough it said I could get fibre at 7mb until about a week ago.
    http://www.digiweb.ie/line-checker/ put your ph. number in ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Was looking on fibre checker and appears a cab near my parents home beside the Green Isle Hotel in Clondalkin has been fibre enabled. They had eircom BB about 6 years ago but ditched it once UPC upgraded the cabling and their BB was available.

They have no working landline, so I put their address into the fibre availability checker and it said they can get up to 7O meg fibre. Out of curiosity I put in the address of houses either side of them and both of them can only get up to 24mb.

Does this sound right? Parents would save a bundle switching to Sky BB/phone/TV for a year, so wanted to check if fibre was available before going through hassle of putting order through. No point switching if it's for 7mb ADSL.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pegasus1 wrote: »
    http://www.digiweb.ie/line-checker/ put your ph. number in ...

Thanks Pegasus, exchange comes up as unknown, 5mb speeds and not fibre enabled. Would love to know how/why my house has ended up different to the other 50 or so in the estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Fibre install finally done!

A word of warning (might be obvious to some) ...

Keep the modem nearest the master socket

Tried another socket linked by internal phone cabling ... and the speeds drop significantly!

Profile offered on install was 30mb

Vodafone lifted it to 40 without issues
    Getting 38 down 10 up

I suspect the line is capable of more but more than happy for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Thanks Pegasus, exchange comes up as unknown, 5mb speeds and not fibre enabled. Would love to know how/why my house has ended up different to the other 50 or so in the estate.

Your line runs past the cab back to the exchange. The other houses don't and terminate at the cab. They get Fibre speeds, you don't.

Perhaps your line was provided a looooong time ago, before there were cabs.

It's really bad luck and there is nothing that can be done with your existing line. I've seen people suggest that you could ask for a second line and that this might be provided out of a cab, but I don't know how valid that might be.

Your line runs past the cab back to the exchange. The other houses don't and terminate at the cab. They get Fibre speeds, you don't.

Perhaps your line was provided a looooong time ago, before there were cabs.

It's really bad luck and there is nothing that can be done with your existing line. I've seen people suggest that you could ask for a second line and that this might be provided out of a cab, but I don't know how valid that might be.

I was afraid it was something like that. How would this have happened? Seems utterly bizarre to me. Houses would have all been built at the same time. Who would I ask for another line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I was afraid it was something like that. How would this have happened? Seems utterly bizarre to me. Houses would have all been built at the same time. Who would I ask for another line?

eir & Vodafone. Sky will, but only if you take TV from them.

There's no guarantee that this works, so I would await others more knowledgeable on this to chime in (@ED_E, I'm looking at you!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone went full VOIP so you'd probably need 2x BB lines not just a regular POTS line.

Sky get confused with ARD keys/Non-unique addresses so I wouldnt give them this.

Eir or Magnet could do it. But depending on how cables are your second line may have the same problem. Its a lot of legwork to test it.

IMO best avenue to follow can often be flagging down a local OpenEir tech and ask them about availability on the local copper cab.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Vodafone went full VOIP so you'd probably need 2x BB lines not just a regular POTS line.

Sky get confused with ARD keys/Non-unique addresses so I wouldnt give them this.

Eir or Magnet could do it. But depending on how cables are your second line may have the same problem. Its a lot of legwork to test it.

IMO best avenue to follow can often be flagging down a local OpenEir tech and ask them about availability on the local copper cab.

Thanks for that.

Is it a case of having to wire me all the way to the cabinet or basically connect me to the lines going to every other house within a 20m radius? It doesn't seem like it should be such a big job when every building within a 1km radiues (at least) is fibre enabled. How would I broach this with eir? just ring their sales team? I can barely get them to give me a straight answer on what they can give me as it is rather than trying to get them to install a new line.

They wont give you a new run, so itll depend on whats currently connected to your pole/the manhole near you.

Two cables feed your row of houses:
    A. Goes to the cab
    B. Predates it and goes back to the exchange

If A is full and you order a second you get a second pair off B. No good. If both are partially full, its a gamble.

They wont give you a new run, so itll depend on whats currently connected to your pole/the manhole near you.

Two cables feed your row of houses:
    A. Goes to the cab
    B. Predates it and goes back to the exchange

If A is full and you order a second you get a second pair off B. No good. If both are partially full, its a gamble.

So basically I'm connected to A now and need to try get them to connect me to B?

So basically I'm connected to A now and need to try get them to connect me to B?

B to A, but yeah.

There's no facility to do that though so the "hack" is:

1. Have line on B
    2. Order a 2nd line
    3. Have 2nd line installed
    4. Test if its on A or B
    5. If on A (Yay) cancel old B line OR if on B (Boo) cancel new 2nd B line within cooling off period.

This involves an appointment and possibly a 2nd due to regular no shows, so time off work if not somebody who'd be at home daytime.

B to A, but yeah.

1. Have line on B
    2. Order a 2nd line
    4. Test if its on A or B
    5. If on A (Yay) cancel old B line OR if on B (Boo) cancel new 2nd B line within cooling off period.

This involves an appointment and possibly a 2nd due to regular no shows, so time off work if not somebody who'd be at home daytime.

Cooling off period is 14 days and it started Tuesday, I wouldn't be very confident of them getting this done. I might give eir another ring tomorrow and see what they say about getting another line in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TTG89

Hi Folks,

Anyone have any idea when the last CAB in Edenderry is going live?
    the Eir Support teams are useless and cant seem to communicate with each other to give me a date or what the hold up is.
    The cab has been there for years now.

i have also done a small facebook campaign to have them work on them activate the last 2, once id done that they activated the one in the town centre within a week or so but still no move on the last one.
    The Cab is: EDY1_012

My heads wrecked with this fecking 3mb crap!

Thanks,
    Steve.

B to A, but yeah.

1. Have line on B
    2. Order a 2nd line
    4. Test if its on A or B

Weirdest thing, line checkers all saying the line is fibre enabled now but only 7mb. This is what it said a few weeks ago but suddenly changed to non fibre 5mb a week or two ago.

Weirdest thing, line checkers all saying the line is fibre enabled now but only 7mb. This is what it said a few weeks ago but suddenly changed to non fibre 5mb a week or two ago.

Dont order it.

Most likely your line is borderline for VDSL: it passed the test two months ago, failed last months and passed this months.

Dont order it.

Most likely your line is borderline for VDSL: it passed the test two months ago, failed last months and passed this months.

I'll be ringing them first thing tomorrow, you think asking for a new line is the best option still then?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Go to http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map
    Zoom in to the area you are interested in. Where the blue lines are drawn is where Openeir plan to deploy FTTH.

Thanks I have seen this before just wondering though when it will be all done by in Macroom West and will they then move further into Macroom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    Thanks I have seen this before just wondering though when it will be all done by in Macroom West and will they then move further into Macroom?

I'm afraid nobody outside of Openeir or KN Networks would be able to answe that.

I'm afraid nobody outside of Openeir or KN Networks would be able to answe that.

I have been up to Open Eir & KN Network vans in the past few months and asked and they don't even seem to know and dunno if there is a way to get the information direct from the company itself tbh. Bit of a pain. My cousins husband in Scotland has just got a company called hyperoptics in and getting 850mbps plus download and upload so sick there isn't anything like that more available. Maybe it will all be sorted by 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    I have been up to Open Eir & KN Network vans in the past few months and asked and they don't even seem to know and dunno if there is a way to get the information direct from the company itself tbh. Bit of a pain. My cousins husband in Scotland has just got a company called hyperoptics in and getting 850mbps plus download and upload so sick there isn't anything like that more available. Maybe it will all be sorted by 2020.

Yeah, you'd have better luck getting blood from a stone when it comes to solid concrete information from Eir and Open Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yet again, I have to ask, why would anyone expect openeir to publish detail plans for their COMMERCIAL roll out of FTTH.
    That would be considered commercially sensitive data to which their competitors could react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Yet again, I have to ask, why would anyone expect openeir to publish detail plans for their COMMERCIAL roll out of FTTH.
    That would be considered commercially sensitive data to which their competitors could react.

I don't think anyone is asking for detailed plans but something more than some dots and lines on a map with estimates that aren't even close to the real thing. Our cabinet has been "almost finished" for a year or two now, it's still not even installed in the location when I got round to look at the area today but according to the map installation of it is "in progress"... Better estimates and some sort of timeline is not really that sensitive especially when they practically have an infrastructure monopoly outside of cities.

Eir go on about wanting to "help" rural Ireland but leaving the people they claim they want to help in the dark will not help their cause.

If they try and pull this with the NBP I hope the government step in and sort them out. Although by the sounds of things the government will be dealing with the public side of things by providing proper maps and timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't think anyone is asking for detailed plans but something more than some dots and lines on a map with estimates that aren't even close to the real thing. Our cabinet has been "almost finished" for a year or two now, it's still not even installed in the location when I got round to look at the area today but according to the map installation of it is "in progress"... Better estimates and some sort of timeline is not really that sensitive especially when they practically have an infrastructure monopoly outside of cities.

Eir go on about wanting to "help" rural Ireland but leaving the people they claim they want to help in the dark will not help their cause.

If they try and pull this with the NBP I hope the government step in and sort them out. Although by the sounds of things the government will be dealing with the public side of things by providing proper maps and timelines.

As the NBP will effectively be a subsidised monopoly situation the roll out will not have the same commercial sensitivity, so we can expect a bit more openness.
    Better estimates and some sort of timeline is not really that sensitive ...
    On this we will agree to disagree. ;)

Not detail plans not like I or others are looking for blue prints on things but a lot of their information feels vague where it will be from this time period to another which seems to far apart. Tbh I am sick of having Eir or Open Eir as the monopoly in Ireland.
    Other countries should know this information or at least try and compete with Eir so its not just 1 company who owns all the lines and then are leased out to smaller companies. It would be nice to see the lines shared out between big companies so that they can grow and have competiton between them all.

Yeah, you'd have better luck getting blood from a stone when it comes to solid concrete information from Eir and Open Eir.

Yes it appears they don't want to let any information out or give rough estimates on their timeline or plans. Thats a great point its too vague the information they are providing. You are giving an example from your own experiences that just emphasises that point so much. Thats a joke that its not done after over a year. Yes people become annoyed and disenfranchised after multiple false promises or a continuous let downs. I dunno what I would expect of the government to step up and help the situation.

Y'all love to hold Eir to standards/goals that nobody else could ever be.

Virgin have always said sweet FA aboht their stealthy deployments but they don't get a bashing on here.

Yes youd like competition for the access network, THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN outside urban centres. End of. Same across the continent. BT Openreach have it in the UK, Orange have it France, Poland, DT in Germany etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Y'all love to hold Eir to standards/goals that nobody else could ever be.

Virgin have always said sweet FA aboht their stealthy deployments but they don't get a bashing on here.

Yes youd like competition for the access network, THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN outside urban centres. End of. Same across the continent. BT Openreach have it in the UK, Orange have it France, Poland, DT in Germany etc etc.

We do - because they are the incumbent operator - we don't have anybody else!!! I'd like to see something which would resemble some sort of transparency but at the moment there is a lot of BS coming from them.
    Hopefully they live up to all their promises. If they do they will prove their worth. But I agree comparing them to BT Openreach is pretty accurate. You can blame Thatcher for that FU of a company, just like you can blame Mary O'Rourke for ours.

Advertisement