Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

ED E wrote: »
    Y'all love to hold Eir to standards/goals that nobody else could ever be.

Virgin have always said sweet FA aboht their stealthy deployments but they don't get a bashing on here.

Yes youd like competition for the access network, THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN outside urban centres. End of. Same across the continent. BT Openreach have it in the UK, Orange have it France, Poland, DT in Germany etc etc.

A few things to say about this. I think Virgin is probably worse then Eir overall and I dunno if it is their own fault or the fact there is this monolpoly which restricts them from expanding into more rural and smaller Irish towns. Even when UPC were there you couldn't get TV in smaller towns like and that is a basic requirement in daily live. I would rate them very low because of these factors but don't fully know if there are outside factors that are stopping them doing more business.
    Secondly we are talking about Eir, Open Eir & KN Networks and there inability to provide better or more informative information about their service. My cousin and her Husband have just got hyperoptics in Glasgow installed which is up to 1GBPS and there getting around 850MBPS which is obviously over excessive but at least its future proove for years to come. Why has and is Ireland about 5 years if not more behind the curve? I am delighted that they are trying to catch up but there are so many people who would love these great services and would for sure love to pay good money to get them. I would pay €100-€150 a month if I was getting up to 1GBPS Internet. I dunno why we can't have policies and regulations in countries to make it a more competitive market it would help business thrive, would provide jobs and help pump more money back into the economy.

damienirel wrote: »
    We do - because they are the incumbent operator - we don't have anybody else!!! I'd like to see something which would resemble some sort of transparency but at the moment there is a lot of BS coming from them.
    Hopefully they live up to all their promises. If they do they will prove their worth. But I agree comparing them to BT Openreach is pretty accurate. You can blame Thatcher for that FU of a company, just like you can blame Mary O'Rourke for ours.

Agreed they are the main provider at least they could give more defined timelines on how things will roll out. I would say it seems either secretive or they don't fully have the full plans in place but can't tell. I hope as many do that by 2020 Ireland has some of the best Internet in the world it can be attractive for people to live her work and companies to come over and set up because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Has anyone noticed how soon a cabinet appears on the mapping listing it to be updated? I'm sure there's a cabinet just down from 2 others, one listed as already updated, the other to be done withing the next 6, that's not appearing on the map. Does that mean it won't be updated, or it won't appear on the map until closed to the date it gets update?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

On this we will agree to disagree. ;)
    I agree with your disagree....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nskelton

Can someone clarify if FTTH would be come available in South dublin. A salesman came to our door a few months ago saying we will get FTTH if we switch to Eir and we will be paying less than we are paying for a cabinet connection with Virgin. Eir never contacted us after that salesman visit. I contacted them, then they said this?

"
    Thank you for your email expressing interest in eir services.
    Due to the universal sensitivity of our fibre technology, eir Fibre is sometimes not available to customers within enabled exchange and cabinet areas. Each customer's ability to get service is affected by certain factors: the distance of the Customer's premises from the telephone exchange, i.e. cable length, the bandwidth available degrades with the distance travelled, the condition of the telephone line - this is due to the sensitivity of fibre technology.

While your landline has the bandwidth capability to carry voice traffic and standard broadband it is not suited to Fibre. Fibre prequalification tests each Customer's line individually based on the above criteria. Therefore, it is possible for customers who are served by the same exchange and situated in the same distance from that exchange to vary in their ability to get Fibre. This can happen if one customer fails based on criteria other than distance from the exchange. These provisioning issues are inherent to fibre technology world-wide, and directly relates to the technology itself, rather than eir's network.

I would suggest you check the fibre availability in your property by using your following link, by entering your address details. Once it is available you can place order for the bundle.
    Once you place the order the line status will be checked and installed if required ,this may take time in some cases to install complete line and to get the services active.

"

Anyone know what's going on? Why would a salesman come to our house and promise fibre to the home if it will never be available? There's literally two active cabinets both within 1 minute walking distance of our house. It's baffling.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. He doesnt work for eir
    2. He likely doesnt know what VDSL is
    3. Slam your door in their faces in future

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nskelton

He explicitly said they will be doing fibre to the home though? And he quoted speeds much, much higher than 120mbps which we are getting with Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

nskelton wrote: »
    He explicitly said they will be doing fibre to the home though? And he quoted speeds much, much higher than 120mbps which we are getting with Virgin.

Had something similar earlier in the year , came round said fiber is available, I asked him to come back in a few days . Rang eir they said no but it's scheduled can't give a date but my line is capable of 10 download .....I Rang my provider at the time sky who did "line tests" and said nope nothing planned and my line can't take over 3 down ....... needless to say I rang eir and signed up over the phone .....so not so bad outcome

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The following exchange cabinets were enabled in the last week:

Laherdane, Co. Mayo (204)

Additional cabinets were enabled in:

Ahascragh, Co. Galway, cab 001 (56)
    Ballinagh, Co. Cavan, cab 003 (59)
    Elphin, Co. Roscommon, cab 001 (198)
    Strandhill, Co. Sligo, cab 003 (162)

A total of 1,001 additional premises were enabled this week.

There was NO update last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Sorry a few basic questions if that is okay. I live in Dublin and cannot currently get fibre.

1. How do I find out what exchange area I am in? I have tried using the Open Eir map but it is far from clear. I have no landline.
    2. Is it possible to get anything more concrete than "before 2020" out of Open Eir?
    3. Have Open Eir targeted the simpler exchanges to upgrade first, leaving the more complex ones to later?
    4. Are Open Eir mainly focused on rural rollout now rather than Dublin?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

http://irelandoffline.org/map/#/map
    JChvLBp.png

2,3,4 are all a maybe. If you're in a small area not covered by VDSL then you could be in trouble. Parts of N Co Dublin have seen FTTH works though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That most glorious of things... a KN works barrier sprung up at the top of the road and a plinth has been put in. Road cut down towards the first Eir manhole so fingers crossed we'll be going live soon enough (you know what I mean by soon).

Plinth is at cabinet LCN1_024

That most glorious of things... a KN works barrier sprung up at the top of the road and a plinth has been put in. Road cut down towards the first Eir manhole so fingers crossed we'll be going live soon enough (you know what I mean by soon).

Hope you get it would be class. People deserve a better standard of Internet service in 2016 at least 30-50mbps range if not 100mbps. What part of the country are you located?

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    Hope you get it would be class. People deserve a better standard of Internet service in 2016 at least 30-50mbps range if not 100mbps. What part of the country are you located?

I'm in Lucan in Dublin so getting broadband from Virgin is possible (and i have it). But it's the only option.

LCN1_024 is currently the only cabinet in the area (surrounded by 6 other live cabinets) that isn't enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I was on the Eir Fibre 2016 roll out site this evening. We live in a rural area and it shows a blue line coming to the edge of our property. The line actually stops at our house. I looked then at the exchange info and it shows that FTTH is going to be enabled at that exchange this winter/spring time. I currently get 1mb via DSL and I am considering changing to LTE via Imagine. My preference however, is if there is a cable connection, to use it, even if it means waiting 6 months.

My question is, does that blue line mean I will be able to get FTTH when it is enabled, or do I have to hope they put a cabinet somewhere nearby and that will improve my current connection as the copper only goes as far as the cabinet and not all the way back to the exchange.

Many thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

vintagevrs wrote: »
    I was on the Eir Fibre 2016 roll out site this evening. We live in a rural area and it shows a blue line coming to the edge of our property. The line actually stops at our house. I looked then at the exchange info and it shows that FTTH is going to be enabled at that exchange this winter/spring time. I currently get 1mb via DSL and I am considering changing to LTE via Imagine. My preference however, is if there is a cable connection, to use it, even if it means waiting 6 months.

My question is, does that blue line mean I will be able to get FTTH when it is enabled, or do I have to hope they put a cabinet somewhere nearby and that will improve my current connection as the copper only goes as far as the cabinet and not all the way back to the exchange.

Many thanks for any info
    no cabinet required, yes you will get fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

vintagevrs wrote: »

Many thanks for any info

Just be aware that some of those dates have been pushed back already and may be subject to more delays. Also the date refers to the first live FTTH connections. There is no guarantee that all premises will be enabled at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

To be honest, I'm just delighted we are getting something some time :)

10mb would do me nicely, but if I have 1Gb, then so be it!

Road re-tarmacced where they made yesterday's cutting. Progress being made.

In college late tomorrow so hopefully I can catch one of the lads when I pass by.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Weirdest thing, line checkers all saying the line is fibre enabled now but only 7mb. This is what it said a few weeks ago but suddenly changed to non fibre 5mb a week or two ago.
    Dont order it.

Most likely your line is borderline for VDSL: it passed the test two months ago, failed last months and passed this months.

Just an update on this, I ended up ordering the e-fibre anyway and see what happens. Even though I was told I could only get 7mb on the phone and by the line checkers the engineer who installed it said I should be able to get 60mbps or so, that they just had a low profile on the line, after ringing tech support the last night and asking them to up the speeds I came home to this this evening:

5690174172.png

Absolutely delighted :)

• Advertisement

I have too much faith in the APQ. Sorry for pointing ya the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Mickeroo wrote:
    Absolutely delighted

Nice ping :D csgo all the way

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,281 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I have too much faith in the APQ. Sorry for pointing ya the wrong way.

Not at all, what you were saying was probably more likely considering some of the stories I've seen around the eir forums and elsewhere online, was full sure we were wired direct to the exchange and was expecting to have to order a second phone line like you said.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just an update on this, I ended up ordering the e-fibre anyway and see what happens. Even though I was told I could only get 7mb on the phone and by the line checkers the engineer who installed it said I should be able to get 60mbps or so, that they just had a low profile on the line, after ringing tech support the last night and asking them to up the speeds I came home to this this evening:

5690174172.png

Absolutely delighted :)

Did you ever check where your home was relative to your local cabinet coverage area on the eFibre rollout map?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Did you ever check where your home was relative to your local cabinet coverage area on the eFibre rollout map?

I did yeah, most of my neighbours were getting similar to the above but when I put in our address/phone number or the house attached it would say speeds of up to 7mb available.

Cheers, did your house fit within the little bullseye target thing for the cabinet on the map itself? I'll be in a similar position, cabinet recently fibre enabled but house right on the limit of the cabinet range, next door outside of it. Providers recently started saying it can get up to 30 on the fibre product, but 1/2 dsl.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cheers, did your house fit within the little bullseye target thing for the cabinet on the map itself? I'll be in a similar position, cabinet recently fibre enabled but house right on the limit of the cabinet range, next door outside of it. Providers recently started saying it can get up to 30 on the fibre product, but 1/2 dsl.

Our house is only 400m from the cab as the crow flies but the line itself was more like 600m (I think, maybe even a bit more). I'm not sure why they had our line set so low and I've noticed quite a few houses around the estate with similar figures when you check their addresses on the eir site, I'd imagine they would all get better speeds than it's predicting.

Cheers. Trying to gauge other peoples experience these days, I've been with UPC/Virgin for god knows how long but due to a move to somewhere they don't operate I'm returning to this sort of messing. The house is listed as being part of the national broadband scheme but since the cabinet update the commercial providers are now saying they can provide a service to it.

If anyone knows about the MRW1_E01 and when it will be done? This is the Macroom West just to clairify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

MrLucidLJ wrote: »
    If anyone knows about the MRW1_E01 and when it will be done? This is the Macroom West just to clairify.
    I don't think anybody on the board could tell you better of asking open eir they might have answer when it finished.

Advertisement