Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't think anybody on the board could tell you better of asking open eir they might have answer when it finished.

Are you sure about that lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    I don't think anybody on the board could tell you better of asking open eir they might have answer when it finished.

dunno about that Open Eir are very secret and don't really talk to the public about anything in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭digiman

How can you tell if your exchange is 70Mb or 100Mb capable for VDSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

digiman wrote: »
    How can you tell if your exchange is 70Mb or 100Mb capable for VDSL?

Go here, Zoom into your exchange, Tick "All" under select exchange status (on the right) and then hover over the green blob. It'll tell you what your exchange's speed is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My exchange got bumped up to 100 from 70.
    Im on 40 down 10 up. I'm assuming I can't get any increase from the vectoring?

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Give em a ring or ask on the Talk To forum and see if they can up your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Go here, Zoom into your exchange, Tick "All" under select exchange status (on the right) and then hover over the green blob. It'll tell you what your exchange's speed is capable of.

That only works if there are no cabinets associated with the exchange. If there are cabinets outside of the exchange the green blob will say 100Mb/s even though the exchange itself may be limited to 70Mb/s.

In this case digiman I don't think there is a way of knowing for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Perhaps use the digiweb line speed checker and input the number of a close by premises or businness, did that for my local exchange which is still up to 70.

That only works if there are no cabinets associated with the exchange. If there are cabinets outside of the exchange the green blob will say 100Mb/s even though the exchange itself may be limited to 70Mb/s.

In this case digiman I don't think there is a way of knowing for sure.

Ah crap! :( Really? Nuts to that!
    The Cush wrote: »
    Perhaps use the digiweb line speed checker and input the number of a close by premises or businness, did that for my local exchange which is still up to 70.

Funny story - when I was testing this for my post, I checked with your exchange! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Just noticed something on the latest map update, it may or may not be a mistake or it may be the situation now that the exchanges have gone live and they've figured out the actual numbers of premises in each area that can actually avail of eFibre. I checked a number of exchanges in my county and the actual numbers of "premises that can now avail of Fibre" have all decreased - some in small numbers (which would be correct as they are small rural areas) but I noticed that one had a reduction of around 300.

Now, presuming that this is correct, where do those premises stand now? I mean, they are in "a commercial area" which puts them in a non-NBP area (according to the maps) so are they now in limbo while a solution is agreed? Would cases like this affect Eir's commercial roll out or the NBP plan or both?

Or maybe I'm seeing a problem that isn't there and they automatically go into an NBP area? I'm guessing (and hoping) that this will be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Line stats and we can give ya an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

BandMember wrote: »
    Just noticed something on the latest map update, it may or may not be a mistake or it may be the situation now that the exchanges have gone live and they've figured out the actual numbers of premises in each area that can actually avail of eFibre. I checked a number of exchanges in my county and the actual numbers of "premises that can now avail of Fibre" have all decreased - some in small numbers (which would be correct as they are small rural areas) but I noticed that one had a reduction of around 300.

Now, presuming that this is correct, where do those premises stand now? I mean, they are in "a commercial area" which puts them in a non-NBP area (according to the maps) so are they now in limbo while a solution is agreed? Would cases like this affect Eir's commercial roll out or the NBP plan or both?

Or maybe I'm seeing a problem that isn't there and they automatically go into an NBP area? I'm guessing (and hoping) that this will be the case.

Wouldn't presume they will be added automatically, they've said a few times if you are in a blue area and not getting the required service you should contact the department.

ED E wrote: »
    Line stats and we can give ya an idea.

I'm with Vodafone but using an F2000 so the line atten. upstream is borked, think the rest is accurate.

DSL synchronization status:
    Up
    Connection status:
    Showtime
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum upstream rate (kbit/s):
    Maximum downstream rate (kbit/s):
    Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
    Upstream interleave depth:
    Downstream interleave depth:
    Line standard:
    VDSL
    Upstream line attenuation (dB):
    Downstream line attenuation (dB):
    Upstream output power (dBmV):
    Downstream output power (dBmV):
    Downstream interleave depth:
    None
    DSL up time: 7 days 2 hours 18 minutes 23 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

50_15 should be fine. Might take, 30 days from enabling for the prequal value to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭BandMember

Wouldn't presume they will be added automatically, they've said a few times if you are in a blue area and not getting the required service you should contact the department.

mmm........you see, that's where I see the problem... In a lot of the premises that I know have been removed in my own area, the people there wouldn't be too clued in to the whole NBP process or be in anyway proactive in getting on to the relevant authorities. I think it's fair to say this would be the case in a lot of rural areas where the population would be generally older and not very aware of what the case is. Sure you've got loads of areas throughout the country that are still only covered by 3 thanks to the last disaster of an NBP and where the exchanges are still only dial up. If it's like this in a lot of areas, it could cause delays in a re-drawing of the maps and might not bode well for Eir as they've said that they would be covered in their commerical rollout which then proved not to the case.

For the record, I would hope that Eir win all the NBP contracts as they've proven what they can do when they put their minds to it and have to meet deadlines (in this case self imposed). SIRO have been a complete failure (so far anyway) IMHO as they don't seem to have got their act together at all and don't really seem to have done anything. You'd question their ability to get the job done fast (or at all) should they win a piece of the pie...

ED E wrote: »
    50_15 should be fine. Might take, 30 days from enabling for the prequal value to update.

I'll give them a try again, see what happens.

Just ask them to bump up my profile is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

You're correct. It is something I noticed while going through the areas. There seems to be too many exchanges with reduced numbers for it to be a mistake. Bizarrely enough there are a few FTTH numbers that decreased.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Is there any way of checking when Eir plan to put ftth in your area. On the site it says winter 16 spring 17 for my area. Currently only get 1mb via dsl. I am considering going with imagine wireless solution in the mean time, but would hate to order imagine only for Eir to put fibre in by a December. .....wishful thinking probably.

Any way to get a more solid date? As if it's going to be another 18months for me I might order imagine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Is there any way of checking when Eir plan to put ftth in your area. On the site it says winter 16 spring 17 for my area. Currently only get 1mb via dsl. I am considering going with imagine wireless solution in the mean time, but would hate to order imagine only for Eir to put fibre in by a December. .....wishful thinking probably.

Any way to get a more solid date? As if it's going to be another 18months for me I might order imagine.

Unfortunately as of now no. The winter 2016 or Winter 2016/Spring 2017 dates are only rough estimates. Most places had earlier estimations and got moved back by several months to what they are now.

I'll give them a try again, see what happens.

Just ask them to bump up my profile is it?

I hate repeating myself! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I hate repeating myself! :rolleyes:

lol cheers. Not quite frowny face :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I am in that limbo myself.

Contacted the Department of Communications, they replied within a few days and passed my details to , they said, all of the commercial operators.

Within another few days Openeir contacted me to say my house which should have been covered by commercial operators and was left out of the National Plan, would be in their blue line rollout anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Can you see the blue line coming near you on the NDP map? I'll be within it but the blue line stops about a k down the road but I can't see it coming from the opposite direction as that's from Dublin and an area served by all the main commercial operators, including Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Can you see the blue line coming near you on the NDP map? I'll be within it but the blue line stops about a k down the road but I can't see it coming from the opposite direction as that's from Dublin and an area served by all the main commercial operators, including Virgin.

Yep, I can see a blue line go past my entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

vintagevrs wrote: »

I just had Imagine call up to do line of sight tests and was told they couldn't get a signal strong enough! Very p1ssed off now! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Possible stupid question alert.... Can you tell from overhead telephone lines if fibre is in your area?? Ive lately seen thicker cables run alongside the thinner ones of old

Possible stupid question alert.... Can you tell from overhead telephone lines if fibre is in your area?? Ive lately seen thicker cables run alongside the thinner ones of old

I direct your attention to this post.

I direct your attention to this post.

It's still very difficult to detect from that photo, there are many wires here that look like that but they are just normal lines and not fiber.

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's still very difficult to detect from that photo, there are many wires here that look like that but they are just normal lines and not fiber.

Well that's "Core Fibre", so would not be part of an FTTH deployment. We're not blue lined around here, but I would expect when NBP comes rolling around that new fibre will be strung along those poles to go to people's homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Well that's "Core Fibre", so would not be part of an FTTH deployment. We're not blue lined around here, but I would expect when NBP comes rolling around that new fibre will be strung along those poles to go to people's homes.
    How do you know its core fibre as such, and My rekoning its the bottom cable that is fibre that is terminating in the finned cylinder, if it was the top cable it was attached to the pole very slap dash for fibre...

Advertisement