Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Looking at the map for the blue line, on our road it stops 350m before it reaches our house, what will that mean for me? ( sorry if it has been asked a hundred times)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Hococop wrote: »
    Looking at the map for the blue line, on our road it stops 350m before it reaches our house, what will that mean for me? ( sorry if it has been asked a hundred times)
    You have to wait for the NBP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

pegasus1 wrote: »
    How do you know its core fibre as such, and My rekoning its the bottom cable that is fibre that is terminating in the finned cylinder, if it was the top cable it was attached to the pole very slap dash for fibre...

Because my local eir linesman told me it was. :)

It is terminating at the top, smaller cylinder.

As I said this is a 48 strand fibre. The one below is probably a 50 or 100 pair copper cable.

Edit: This fibre line was run in, back in the late 90's/early 00's, so cabling quality may not have been the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gphotos

When will Fibre be available in Killashee, Co Longford? It was scheduled for FTTC for Summer 2016, it has been changed 4 times and looking at the roll out map its says FTTH spring 2017.

Gphotos wrote: »
    When will Fibre be available in Killashee, Co Longford? It was scheduled for FTTC for Summer 2016, it has been changed 4 times and looking at the roll out map its says FTTH spring 2017.
    Best guess is answered in your question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Gphotos

No its not in my question. As I said it has been pushed 4 times & that is only in this upgrade plan that was announced last year. We have been down for fiber since 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

No its not in my question. As I said it has been pushed 4 times & that is only in this upgrade plan that was announced last year. We have been down for fiber since 2012!

So have a lot of other places, so you're not the only one.

Every 3 months for the last few years our exchange gets pushed out by another 3 months. I've given up believing their updates.

You'll get the upgrade when you get the upgrade.

It is, take another look at the map on www.fibrerollout.ie Kilashee has first live fibre spring '17 thats FTTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So I walk out the door this evening and see a truck with a large (American fridge sized) Huawei box and some lads in KN tabards. And then as I get closer I see a green fibre cabinet out on the street and the lads building its innards.

Wwwooohhhhoooooo!!!

FYI it's at LCN1_024

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Bit of background before the question

FTTC coming to area.
    Groundwork completed
    Cabinet installed
    Electricity connected to cabinet

Does anybody know what the next stage is please. Has the cabinet been built already and the power connection the last stage or does the equipment still have to be placed in the cabinet or is there a set order for the way these installs are completed ?

Thanks muchly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

NeoRox wrote: »

FTTC coming to area.
    Groundwork completed
    Cabinet installed

Does anybody know what the next stage is please. Has the cabinet been built already and the power connection the last stage or does the equipment still have to be placed in the cabinet or is there a set order for the way these installs are completed ?

Thanks muchly.

This exact thing just happened me... [see post above yours]

Innards of cabinet should be good to go. But feck knows. KN lads reckoned 6months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can't answer your question but I posted the following back in Jun, on the day work started on the last cab to be rolled out in a neighboring town, visible work on the cabinet has long since been completed but it hasn't gone live yet, don't know the reason why.
    The Cush wrote: »
    An update for anyone in the Newport (Tipperary) area, work appears to have started on the final cab in the town, NRT1_003, between the convent school and service station on the Limerick road.

I was passing by earlier and there were lads there cutting the footpath with a circular saw next to the existing copper cab in preparation for the fibre cab base I assume, van with concrete mixer on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FTTC coming to area.
    Groundwork completed
    Cabinet installed

Thanks muchly.

Cab should ship as a ready to roll service unit.

Order should be **something** like:
    Planning sign goes up if required by CoCo
    Civils
    Cab placed
    Mini Pillar placed (via ESB)
    Jumpering cable pulled from CCP
    Jumpering done
    Commissioning by a build engineer (not a tech)
    RFO wait period (1 Month, 3 for exchange based)
    Orders and appointments start

The time for each step is not fixed. KNN can be working ahead of OpenEir, the ESB can be slow to get a mini pillar in, all works can be done but there are no installers available so it gets held etc.

You're getting there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Hi Guys,

I've also posted this question in the Eir rural FTTH thread

Can someone please tell me when FTTH service would be expected at the location that I have highlighted in red in the image below. Note that the closest cabinet to the address is "CSA1_005". Any advice or insight much appreciated guys.

400766.jpg

Kind Regards,

HS.

Holy smokes batman! Resize Resize Resize!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Is a speed upgrade planned / expected for the fibre service? 100mb as max speed is very low if you are close to the cabinet.

I know there are some locations with 1000mbps available, but in general you can only get 100mbps with FTTH.

In other countries you would be receiving 300 mbps at least.

vmb wrote: »
    Is a speed upgrade planned / expected for the fibre service? 100mb as max speed is very low if you are close to the cabinet.

I know there are some locations with 1000mbps available, but in general you can only get 100mbps with FTTH.

In other countries you would be receiving 300 mbps at least.

Wrong.

100Mbps is FTTC, not FTTH. Its doing as well as it can (better than lots of the UK) and is very unlikely to improve more than marginally.

The 1000Mb FTTH footprint will expand now that the FTTC runs are coming to a close. Add to that Virgins 1000Mb capable network and theres plenty of growing about to happen.

300Mb available to the masses only exists in high density countries. Ireland is a uniquely difficult country to service. We're doing better than the UK which is far easier to service.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My bb went down three times this morning so I gave support a ring,no reports of an outage or work going on at the exchange but the guy said my stats show I should be on a higher speed [funny thing is I enquired about this many times as I'm only 100m from cabinet but to no avail that they were waiting on vectoring ,so I sat at 70meg wasnt complaining but I knew from line stats I could push closer to 100meg]
    Got cut off mid call to the guy I was talking to just as I was getting somewhere with upping the profile was gutted!! rang back spoke to a nice girl who saw in the notes that nice guy had upped my profile and I should see it soon.

I'm just wondering if the bb going down this morning was vectoring happening at last or just a coincidence?

Line seems stable at 100meg.

5771129140.png

ED E wrote: »
    Wrong.

100Mbps is FTTC, not FTTH. Its doing as well as it can (better than lots of the UK) and is very unlikely to improve more than marginally.

The 1000Mb FTTH footprint will expand now that the FTTC runs are coming to a close. Add to that Virgins 1000Mb capable network and theres plenty of growing about to happen.

300Mb available to the masses only exists in high density countries. Ireland is a uniquely difficult country to service. We're doing better than the UK which is far easier to service.

It is ftth. Magnet provides FTTH in some locations. I am based on Clongriffin, wich is part of the rollout

https://www.magnet.ie/residential/home-broadband/

I have the fibre cable in my utility room. My modem is HES 3106, used for fibre connections.

[EDIT] It is magnet, but afaik magnet and eir are the same fibre network, so eir is also providing ftth in some locations[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭appfry

So I was staying the night in Kettles Inn near Swords and I went for a walk this morning and happened upon a cabinet with two engineers working near it. Got talking to them and asked them about my home area and if I could believe the dates for FTTH.
    They told me that they didnt know anything about my home area, but were able to tell me that where I was talking to them on the R125 about 5km from Swords, that they were actually working on the FTTH rollout and expected that orders would be ready to be taken first week in January.
    One of them actually lived on that blue line and he was fully expecting it himself.
    So anyone living on that road can be happy anyway.
    Would have been nice if they had knowledge of my own place though.

• Advertisement

About high density, I think there is something really wrong with the idea of having poor services just because of the density of people.

It happens with almost all amenities, and if you check properly, GDA density is similar to other developed cities.

In other countries, small cities (populations of less than 80k) have fibre at 300mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Was out walking yesterday and came across the Eir guys splicing cables. I stopped for a chat and they told me they were doing the fibre to the housing cabling. On my lane they were stopping about 300m from my house. They couldn't understand this as on their "Fulcrum" program on the ipad it showed the pole about 120m from my front door as getting fibre but it wasn't on the work sheet. The lane connects in a loop with the main road in two places and is 2.5km long. They have come in from both sides and left out the middle 500-700m which serves a number of houses. Makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway they've been and gone and the pole outside my house has been omitted. Is there any way of getting in contact with Eir to see why this was?

The eir guys said that FTTH was now what was being done and "planned cabinets" are unlikely to be upgraded due to cost, which also includes the cabinet closest to me. So unless I can do something about the pole outside, my neighbours 300m away will have 1,000GB/s fibre broadband and I will have 3mb/s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

mdfire wrote: »
    Was out walking yesterday and came across the Eir guys splicing cables. I stopped for a chat and they told me they were doing the fibre to the housing cabling. On my lane they were stopping about 300m from my house. They couldn't understand this as on their "Fulcrum" program on the ipad it showed the pole about 120m from my front door as getting fibre but it wasn't on the work sheet. The lane connects in a loop with the main road in two places and is 2.5km long. They have come in from both sides and left out the middle 500-700m which serves a number of houses. Makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway they've been and gone and the pole outside my house has been omitted. Is there any way of getting in contact with Eir to see why this was?

The eir guys said that FTTH was now what was being done and "planned cabinets" are unlikely to be upgraded due to cost, which also includes the cabinet closest to me. So unless I can do something about the pole outside, my neighbours 300m away will have 1,000GB/s fibre broadband and I will have 3mb/s.

That's really unfortunate. Is your house on its own 300 meters from the end of the blue line or is there lots of other house's beyond where the blue line stops.? Open Eir were working on the wiring yesterday (Sunday)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The blue line stops at my next door neighbour but does not seem to cover the house next to his.
    About half a mile down the road the blue line is present again from another direction.
    There are another 6 houses between the two blue lines.
    It would appear that they are omitted from the blue line roll out.

Gonzo wrote: »
    That's really unfortunate. Is your house on its own 300 meters from the end of the blue line or is there lots of other house's beyond where the blue line stops.? Open Eir were working on the wiring yesterday (Sunday)?

Yeah im about 300m from the end of the blue line - in both directions!!! There are 5 or 6 houses in the same boat as me.

Yes they were out working on the wiring on a Sunday.

The blue line stops at my next door neighbour but does not seem to cover the house next to his.
    About half a mile down the road the blue line is present again from another direction.
    There are another 6 houses between the two blue lines.
    It would appear that they are omitted from the blue line roll out.

The chap yesterday told me the boxes on the poles can serve 4 houses within 150m. Theoretically they could serve 8.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah im about 300m from the end of the blue line - in both directions!!! There are 5 or 6 houses in the same boat as me.

Yes they were out working on the wiring on a Sunday.

They really should try and cover you if they can serve multiple houses within 150 meters. Surprised to hear they are working on a saturday/sunday, they must be really feeling the pressure now.

Gonzo wrote: »
    They really should try and cover you if they can serve multiple houses within 150 meters. Surprised to hear they are working on a saturday/sunday, they must be really feeling the pressure now.

Im not an eir customer (Sky) so I dont even know how I can contact them to ask :confused:

This explains the problem. The last pole is only 110m from my front door and would have served me. The eir guys had it on the map on their ipads as having fibre but it wasnt on their worksheet and they didnt know why had queried it.

[IMG][/img]Presentation1_zpsluktats5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭long_b

Im not an eir customer (Sky) so I dont even know how I can contact them to ask :confused:

This explains the problem. The last pole is only 110m from my front door and would have served me. The eir guys had it on the map on their ipads as having fibre but it wasnt on their worksheet and they didnt know why had queried it.

[IMG][/img]Presentation1_zpsluktats5.jpg

As the last house on our projected blue line I am not a happy camper!!!

Ours also stops short of the last few houses on the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

What do you mean? Are you saying your house is the last on the blue line, but they didn't put fibre that far?

Advertisement