Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Sounds like you definitely should be in the NBP. Keep after the Department until they acknowledge you.

Will do. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crocked77

My parents house is roughly 2km from the exchange in Bantry.  The exchange was fibre enabled roughly 2 yeasr ago now but they live outside the catchment area (by about 10 houses).

However if I look at the open eir map it shows a yellow line passing by our door which is marked as a rural fibre route.
    Does this mean that  by 2020 they will be in the catchment area as no new cabs are planned in our area currently or will the exchange have more range when it moves from 100MB to 1 GB which is planned for winter 2018 currently or is it likely to be much slower due to the distance from the exchange in any case?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

crocked77 wrote: »
    Does this mean that  by 2020 they will be in the catchment area as no new cabs are planned in our area currently or will the exchange have more range when it moves from 100MB to 1 GB which is planned for winter 2018 currently or is it likely to be much slower due to the distance from the exchange in any case?

It's fibre direct to the home (FTTH) from their local exchange so no cabs involved and not distance limited like FTTC.

Input your eircode here to see if their house is on the commercial FTTH rollout plan by the end of 2018 or the NBP - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Thread on FTTH rollout here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crocked77

Thanks for that. It looks like they are in an amber area. I assume this means they are essentially unlikely to have fast broadband any time in the next 10 years and possibly never unfortunately.

crocked77 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It looks like they are in an amber area. I assume this means they are essentially unlikely to have fast broadband any time in the next 10 years and possibly never unfortunately.

Possibly within the next few years, depending on how fast the NBP is rolled out after the contracts are awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Hi there was just wondering does anyone have information on Macroom West and MRW1_E01 cabinet what estate does that cover and will there be plans to add more cabinets onto the 1000mbps speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭John mac

looks like it goes up the milstreet road and on to Clondrohid

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hako

there was a time i was able to follow updates of the cabinets in the country through http://piec.noip.me website. Recently this site is not working. Is there anything else similar to this website. I was very helpful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

The Cush wrote: »
    Possibly within the next few years, depending on how fast the NBP is rolled out after the contracts are awarded.

Id say it will be years away - I can't see my house, in the Amber area getting service before 2022. I really have no faith in anything sponsored by the government. I would have more faith in Eir, watching how they are hammering on, very efficiently around various parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

AidenL wrote: »
    Id say it will be years away - I can't see my house, in the Amber area getting service before 2022. I really have no faith in anything sponsored by the government. I would have more faith in Eir, watching how they are hammering on, very efficiently around various parts of the country.
    I think you might be right I be surprised if the contract are reward in June or even this year.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I've moved house recently, and while the cabinet my line is connected to is fttc enabled, I have been told that all the connections are used on it, so I'm limited to the crappy speed (not terrible but much worse than I'd like).

Is there any way of essentially putting my name on a list for upgrade if a spot ever opens up? Vodafone customer service weren't very helpful in that regard, and I couldn't see anything on their site about it. No VM in my new estate, and FTTH may be available at some point in the not so distant future, but not at the minute.

Ta.

I've moved house recently, and while the cabinet my line is connected to is fttc enabled, I have been told that all the connections are used on it, so I'm limited to the crappy speed (not terrible but much worse than I'd like).

Is there any way of essentially putting my name on a list for upgrade if a spot ever opens up? Vodafone customer service weren't very helpful in that regard, and I couldn't see anything on their site about it. No VM in my new estate, and FTTH may be available at some point in the not so distant future, but not at the minute.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wait until you see a neighbour moving out and order again. Thats it.

Orders are submitted from retailer to wholesaler but the wholesale side manages port mappings so they cant "queue" you.

If you ring to ask 'can I get it yet' will they tell you or do you actually have to go through the process of ordering an upgrade?

Also, how can I find out what cabinet I'm actually connected to? Do I have to ask my isp and will they even tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Only OpenEir have access to the metallic path records that would indicate where your CCP is. If you tweet them they might be helpful but technically they only deal with retailers.

Every time you ring they'd have to go through some/all of the process of selling you the package before it would fail. However far you got this time when you tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tubawaski

AidenL wrote: »

I wouldn't depend on Eir either... they've been installing fibre in my area for the last 3 years or so..
    Also recently I discovered that Eir have apparently decided not to connect my, and some other houses on my estate even though we're within the 2km from the cabinet? Does anyone know why this might be?
    map.png

tubawaski wrote: »
    I wouldn't depend on Eir either... they've been installing fibre in my area for the last 3 years or so..
    Also recently I discovered that Eir have apparently decided not to connect my, and some other houses on my estate even though we're within the 2km from the cabinet? Does anyone know why this might be?

Beyond 1km or so FTTC speed drops below 30 Mbps. This is the speed they use as a benchmark below which it falls under the FTTH rollout plan. This may be the reason?

Beyond 1km or so FTTC speed drops below 30 Mbps. This is the speed they use as a benchmark below which it falls under the FTTH rollout plan. This may be the reason?

Interesting, Im exactly 1km from the cabinet via the road, we get 10mb right now, so an improvement to even 20mb would be nice....
    Also dont Eir say that you have to be within 2km? If they effectively connect only to within 1km then why say that they do to 2km? I guess its the marketing as always...?

Interesting, Im exactly 1km from the cabinet via the road, we get 10mb right now, so an improvement to even 20mb would be nice....
    Also dont Eir say that you have to be within 2km? If they effectively connect only to within 1km then why say that they do to 2km? I guess its the marketing as always...?

Have they said they won't connect these houses to FTTC? If they're within the 2km limit (or 1.5km from an unvectored cab or exchange) I can't see why they won't connect if there are existing copper lines to these houses.

When is FTTH expected to rollout in this area?

Have they said they won't connect these houses to FTTC? If they're within the 2km limit (or 1.5km from an unvectored cab or exchange) I can't see why they won't connect if there are existing copper lines to these houses.

When is FTTH expected to rollout in this area?

They havent said it. That is the government map, which shows the amber area which wont be connected via commercial operators. The dark blue is the FTTC and amber being government NBP plan. What interests me is that that small amber area within the blue one used to be blue a few months ago... The FTTH(light blue) will only be for some houses down the road adn supposed to be by end of 2018(doubt it) which is shown in this map:
    map1.png

• Advertisement

They havent said it. That is the government map, which shows the amber area which wont be connected via commercial operators. The dark blue is the FTTC and amber being government NBP plan. What interests me is that that small amber area within the blue one used to be blue a few months ago... The FTTH(light blue) will only be for some houses down the road adn supposed to be by end of 2018(doubt it) which is shown in this map:

Just had a look at eir's fibre map and it indicates the local exchange isn't fibre live yet, estimated this Autumn. What this means is the dark blue area will be served by the exchange for FTTC when it goes live including your estate but less than 30 Mbps probably. Because this area will be below 30 Mbps it's being included in the 300k commercial FTTH rollout which is scheduled for your estate Spring/Summer 2018. Win win for your estate in my opinion.

Coolaney

Estimated date for first Live Fibre Services is Autumn 2017. Estimated date for first Live FTTH Fibre Services with speeds up to 1000Mb/s is Spring/Summer 2018

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/

Just had a look at eir's fibre map and it indicates the local exchange isn't fibre live yet, estimated this Autumn. What this means is the dark blue area will be served by the exchange for FTTC when it goes live including your estate but less than 30 Mbps probably. Because this area will be below 30 Mbps it's being included in the 300k commercial FTTH rollout which is scheduled for your estate Spring/Summer 2018. Win win for your estate in my opinion.

Well hopefully... we'll see :/ Knowing Eir, Spring/Summer 2018 means more like Spring/Summer 2019. Anyway it won't matter much by then since Im gonna be in college somewhere in Dublin or Galway by then and they have fibre already :P

Well hopefully... we'll see :/ Knowing Eir, Spring/Summer 2018 means more like Spring/Summer 2019. Anyway it won't matter much by then since Im gonna be in college somewhere in Dublin or Galway by then and they have fibre already :P

So they haven't been installing fibre in your area for the last 3 years

So they haven't been installing fibre in your area for the last 3 years

Yep basically saying that they're doing work but they're clearly not, first "live" date was back in 2015, from then just kept getting pushed back every 3 months... Although in the last few months they have installed the fibre on the poles and the cab, don't know why they don't continue to work to get it finally live...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yep basically saying that they're doing work but they're clearly not, first "live" date was back in 2015, from then just kept getting pushed back every 3 months... Although in the last few months they have installed the fibre on the poles and the cab, don't know why they don't continue to work to get it finally live...

and you will never know, and neither will anyone who is not privy to openeir's decision making process.

This is a commercial roll out and they will do what they think is best for their company from a commercial viewpoint.

Latest indications are that my area will be due to go live in about 12 months time. Lots of things can affect that estimate and I have no real expectation of the estimate being accurate.

IF openeir can meet their targets for the 300k roll out I will be delighted, whether or not I am connected to fibre at the end of it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

For the last 6 months the eircom rollout map has said my area will be live within a year. Previously it said mid 2017. How are Eir allowed to get away with utter vague timelines. Im sure when the year expires it will still say within 1 year. Can someone from Eir explain this utter nonsence. Have not seen any work in my area. Broadband infrastructure in this country is pathetic

talkingpj wrote: »
    How are Eir allowed to get away with utter vague timelines.
    Because they are a private commercial company.

Which service are you waiting for, FTTH or VDSL/FTTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

talkingpj wrote: »
    For the last 6 months the eircom rollout map has said my area will be live within a year. Previously it said mid 2017. How are Eir allowed to get away with utter vague timelines. Im sure when the year expires it will still say within 1 year. Can someone from Eir explain this utter nonsence. Have not seen any work in my area. Broadband infrastructure in this country is pathetic

Allowed?

Who do you imagine has any power over a commercial entity besides the CEO/Board/shareholders?

All of the times/dates quoted have been estimates and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Techspert

I posted this on another FTTH forum on Boards:

Just to update my previous posts:

My FTTH broadband was installed about six weeks ago. I'm in Allenwood South in Co. Kildare. To say it's a big improvement is an understatement, it's superb!
    I'm getting more than 930Mbps DL and almost 100Mbps UL and it never slows down. On one day there were nine different KN teams installing FTTH in my area.
    Well done Eir, this broadband has really improved our quality of life in this beautiful rural area.

20170612-Eircom-932Mbps.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Techspert wrote: »
    I posted this on another FTTH forum on Boards:

Just to update my previous posts:

My FTTH broadband was installed about six weeks ago. I'm in Allenwood South in Co. Kildare. To say it's a big improvement is an understatement, it's superb!
    I'm getting more than 930Mbps DL and almost 100Mbps UL and it never slows down. On one day there were nine different KN teams installing FTTH in my area.
    Well done Eir, this broadband has really improved our quality of life in this beautiful rural area.

20170612-Eircom-932Mbps.JPG

I'm a 15 minute drive from you and can only get 3Meg download and 50k upload. No fair.

Advertisement