Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭turbocab

rob808 wrote: »
    I know and there not much you can do about it comreg a joke and not sure department of communication can even help anyone your left at the will of open eir you get it or don't.

thanks for all that info lads ,I have another 1 month contract left,ill shop around cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭DI Dwyer

I was speaking to a KN man in a van who was doing a survey of their finished work in my area..... he said the final fiber connection to my
    house will be done when I order fiber BB from a provider. This guy said that the filbe line to the house must terminate not more than 1m inside the house and that a power supply (220 socket) has to be provided at this point. (In my case this would be in the attic). He couldn't elaborate any more on it..... ???
    Anyone know what he's talking about ?. Doesn't make sense to me as I thought the incoming fiber line would go to the modem via the master socket. ??

Couldn't speak to anyone at KN office who could help.... was told 'we don't have any technical people' ??????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Updated map shows network at my house live. KN and Openeir says network not live.
    Whom do I believe?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭rob808

garroff wrote: »
    Updated map shows network at my house live. KN and Openeir says network not live.
    Whom do I believe?.
    open eir but kinda funny since the map on open eir website.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

DI Dwyer wrote: »
    I was speaking to a KN man in a van who was doing a survey of their finished work in my area..... he said the final fiber connection to my
    house will be done when I order fiber BB from a provider. This guy said that the filbe line to the house must terminate not more than 1m inside the house and that a power supply (220 socket) has to be provided at this point. (In my case this would be in the attic). He couldn't elaborate any more on it..... ???
    Anyone know what he's talking about ?. Doesn't make sense to me as I thought the incoming fiber line would go to the modem via the master socket. ??

FTTH (Fibre to the Home) is a different service to the regular copper line to the master socket and uses neither the copper line nor master socket. A twin fibre cable runs to an ONT via and ODP (pictured below), a router supplied by your broadband provider connects to the ONT. Eventually the copper network will be removed with everything going over the fibre optic cable.

Fibre will generally follow the same route to your house as the existing copper line, overhead or duct. They will not run the cable into or through the attic. At the point it joins to the house they will run it externally to a point where it enters a max of 1m into the house, to a point where there is a power socket for the ONT and router to be powered.

If the existing copper line is ducted all the way to the master socket and the duct not blocked then they will run the fibre to that point provided a power socket is available nearby.

FTTH home resellers over eir's network, those with a house icon - http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

n2yixd.jpg

ONT (Optical Network Terminal)
    ODP (Optical Distribution Point)

attachment.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102614422#post102614422
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95836349&postcount=594

• Advertisement

Thanks Cush. That's excellent.... 'not many people know that'... well, not in eir or KN from my experience.!

Cush, 1 more Q. My copper wire comes into the standard master socket which then outputs to the modem and the phone. With the fiber installation via the ODP and ONP, how is the phone connected?

DI Dwyer wrote: »
    My copper wire comes into the standard master socket which then outputs to the modem and the phone. With the fiber installation via the ODP and ONP, how is the phone connected?

If you change over to VOBB/VOIP the standard phone plugs into the analogue phone socket at the rear of the supplied router.

I believe there's no requirement to change over to VOIP or VOBB (voice over broadband) as eir are calling their telephone service over fibre access. The existing copper line to the master phone socket should remain untouched.

Great, thanks again for that Cush....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Anyone have an idea when fibre goes live, after last copper cabinet gets fibre connection?

• Advertisement

Got the fiber BB to the house. 150megs. They ran it through the attic as I had the route prepared. I had drilled a hole at the apex and pushed a 20mm conduit through the cavity wall, flush with the outside . They anchored the fiber cable on the facia and then threaded it in through the duct . I went into the attic and pulled the cable through. I fixed it to the trusses with duct tape to give it support and then brought the cable through the ceiling to where I wanted the gear positioned. This was in a bungalow, i might add.... so it was easy...

The install guy said that they do use attic spaces now. This wasn't the case before.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Not fair. Some are refused attic installation.....others are getting it. Customer Interface Booklet needed so there is one standard for all and no surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

garroff wrote: »
    Not fair. Some are refused attic installation.....others are getting it. Customer Interface Booklet needed so there is one standard for all and no surprises.

I think everyone can have an attic install now as they changed the rules as mentioned before on here. Presumed due to install fails that would otherwise have been fine if attic install had been permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

What are the benefits to attic installations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    What are the benefits to attic installations?

Installation of last resort, as far as I am concerned!

Where other options are not viable, it can now be done through the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

On the National Broadband Plan Map is it only the houses within the Light Blue areas that will be getting FTTH in the 2018 rollout?

Our home/business is right on the edge, about 30-40m from the light blue shaded area, so does this mean we are completely out of luck?
    Or could we get our place connected some way?

There must be someone we can contact to about this.
    Or is it the case where no house or business outside this blue area will be connected no matter if there will to pay Openeir or not?

The link to the map I've been using is below

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

In my case, running cable through the attic saved having to tack it along the outside wall followed by drilling through door/window frame.
    As I said, mine is a bungalow so it was easy and allowed me to exit the cable in the middle of the house. Also from a security point of view, entering the wall high up at the apex makes it more secure as it's not handy to snip the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

So my home has blue icon on their website and in last week the guys were working down my boreen (and confirmed its fibre they are putting up) with a spool of cable left right next to the duct to my house 10m away.

How "unlimited" is their 1000mbit plan, I dont mind paying whatever (need good internet for business anyways) would love to be able to upload to my backup servers about 200-300GB a month of backups

A total (up+down) of 1TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Why are the majority of areas all listed as within the next 12 months. Very few within 6 months. The 12 month status has being like that for 12 months. Are eir deliberately doing this to stop the government from including these areas in the national broadband plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

On the National Broadband Plan Map is it only the houses within the Light Blue areas that will be getting FTTH in the 2018 rollout?

Our home/business is right on the edge, about 30-40m from the light blue shaded area, so does this mean we are completely out of luck?
    Or could we get our place connected some way?

There must be someone we can contact to about this.
    Or is it the case where no house or business outside this blue area will be connected no matter if there will to pay Openeir or not?

The link to the map I've been using is below

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

Do you have an Amber or a Light Blue dot on your premises?

• Advertisement

Looking at the Dencr map are Eir, eNet or anyone providing fiber in the area forbidden from connecting any of the houses which have an amber dot, even in cases where they are running fiber past the door, as all of the Amber dotted premises are contained within the NBP tender process?

AidenL wrote: »
    Looking at the Dencr map are Eir, eNet or anyone providing fiber in the area forbidden from connecting any of the houses which have an amber dot, even in cases where they are running fiber past the door, as all of the Amber dotted premises are contained within the NBP tender process?

I asked that here previously, if the intervention areas were locked down for the NBP, the answer appears not. There appears to be no such requirement in the agreement between eir and the Dept. and we've seen posts here where they have extended the fibre lines beyond the planned routes on the map.

The Cush wrote: »
    I asked that here previously, if the intervention areas were locked down for the NBP, the answer appears not. There appears to be no such requirement in the agreement between eir and the Dept. and we've seen posts here where they have extended the fibre lines beyond the planned routes on the map.

Yep, like frozenfrozens , I remember we discussed it before, and my similarities.

I might just keep my fingers crossed for the next 6 months.

It is amazing they haven't ring fenced the Amber houses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AidenL wrote: »
    It is amazing they haven't ring fenced the Amber houses though.

They aren't allowed to. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm amber & the fibre cable will pass along my boundary to connect light blue marked houses further out the road. There's even a manhole at my entrance, to which we're connected. The eir guys who were here recently checking the cable route, said I should be able to get connected but Openeir say no. We are amber & that's that.

jgbyr wrote: »
    I'm amber & the fibre cable will pass along my boundary to connect light blue marked houses further out the road. There's even a manhole at my entrance, to which we're connected. The eir guys who were here recently checking the cable route, said I should be able to get connected but Openeir say no. We are amber & that's that.
    Bugger that’s bad news for me then, hope the Eir guys and Ed are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jgbyr wrote: »

Scandolous carry-on. Get on to your local TD and badger him/her to get you connected. Make them work for their for their votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

How often is the fibrerollout map updated? We are a blue house (2nd half 2017) and we can see work being done by KN on the poles in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

ezra_ wrote: »
    How often is the fibrerollout map updated? We are a blue house (2nd half 2017) and we can see work being done by KN on the poles in the area.

Was supposed to be every 4/6 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ezra_ wrote: »

it used to be every 3 to 4 weeks, now it gets updated every 6 to 8 weeks.

Advertisement