Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

ezra_ wrote: »
    How often is the fibrerollout map updated? We are a blue house (2nd half 2017) and we can see work being done by KN on the poles in the area.

It is pretty far behind, my area is live for a few weeks now and still showing "Summer/Autumn 2017" on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Gonzo wrote: »
    it used to be every 3 to 4 weeks, now it gets updated every 6 to 8 weeks.
    Yeah they update it basically whenever they feel like it. It's not on any kind of formal timetable. Like everything they do it's $hite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My house is still blue on the rollout map. Got connected to ftth nearly 4 weeks ago. It is a long time since the last update.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    My house is still blue on the rollout map. Got connected to ftth nearly 4 weeks ago. It is a long time since the last update.

They don't give a $hite now - Siro is not in the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We're now about a year since a fibre cabinet was installed at the top of my street. A WHOLE YEAR! and still not a peep!

• Advertisement

Map was updated. Must have heard us grumbling. Seems to have been very slow progress since last update - pretty sure the storms didn't help matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

The Cush wrote: »
    If you change over to VOBB/VOIP the standard phone plugs into the analogue phone socket at the rear of the supplied router.

I believe there's no requirement to change over to VOIP or VOBB (voice over broadband) as eir are calling their telephone service over fibre access. The existing copper line to the master phone socket should remain untouched.

I have an 11.8 Mbit VDSL connection (FTTC, 1.5 Km from the cabinet), but Eir indicate that I should be able to get FTTH in Spring/Summer 2018.

I tried VOIP (with Vodafone), but the modem is at one side of the bungalow and our bedroom is the far end - a fairly long bungalow, with a lot of block walls between the modem and the bedroom. The effect was that the portable phone couldn't operate in the bedroom. Vodafone put the telephone back as it was - I have a wired socket in the bedroom.

You say that Eir can leave the existing copper wires and you can continue to use the existing wired connection for the phone.

Will there be an extra standing charge for that, as EIR would then have to maintain two connections to the house? I think I saw somewhere that EIR normally remove the copper connection, at some stage after the fibre is installed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have an 11.8 Mbit VDSL connection (FTTC, 1.5 Km from the cabinet), but Eir indicate that I should be able to get FTTH in Spring/Summer 2018.

I tried VOIP (with Vodafone), but the modem is at one side of the bungalow and our bedroom is the far end - a fairly long bungalow, with a lot of block walls between the modem and the bedroom. The effect was that the portable phone couldn't operate in the bedroom. Vodafone put the telephone back as it was - I have a wired socket in the bedroom.

Why did no one think to connect the VOIP modem socket to the existing wiring?

:eek:

You say that Eir can leave the existing copper wires and you can continue to use the existing wired connection for the phone.

Will there be an extra standing charge for that, as EIR would then have to maintain two connections to the house? I think I saw somewhere that EIR normally remove the copper connection, at some stage after the fibre is installed

Why did no one think to connect the VOIP modem socket to the existing wiring?

:eek:

Don't think you can do that - but I am open to correction.

But there are two phone outlets on my vodafone modem: could I have put a base portable phone unit in the bedroom and run a cable all the way back to the second phone outlet in the modem? If it would work, it would be no big deal, as I could easily run a cable back through the attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Don't think you can do that - but I am open to correction.

But there are two phone outlets on my vodafone modem: could I have put a base portable phone unit in the bedroom and run a cable all the way back to the second phone outlet in the modem? If it would work, it would be no big deal, as I could easily run a cable back through the attic.

You can. It should be possible to take a cable from the phone port on the router, plug it into any of your phone sockets, then all other sockets in the house would be functional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

eir don't/won't remove the copper connection in case the customer has to revert back with another provider that may use the copper line, the copper line is a regulated access product (RAP) meaning any telecoms provider can use it. Long term the plan is to remove all the copper lines once there is nationwide availability of fibre to the home.

As regards maintaining 2 lines, the phone will be part of the bundled price be it copper or VoIP.

As Johnboy1951 posts above the analogue phone output from the router could be connected to the internal wiring via the existing phone socket, also the eir router supplied for FTTH has 2 analogue sockets which could be used to connect to the DECT phone and internal wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

You can. It should be possible to take a cable from the phone port on the router, plug it into any of your phone sockets, then all other sockets in the house would be functional.

I second that, there's no problem doing this, I did it in my folks house when they moved to virgin media. Just make sure to disconnect the copper pairs that feed into you house from eir, otherwise youll be sending you phone signal from modem out of your house and potentially into eir exchange.

I even connected it to a mini pabx without issue too.

Mgit wrote: »
    I second that, there's no problem doing this, I did it in my folks house when they moved to virgin media. Just make sure to disconnect the copper pairs that feed into you house from eir, otherwise youll be sending you phone signal from modem out of your house and potentially into eir exchange.

Thanks for your help and advice, people. In particular, the sentence in bold, above - I wouldn't have thought of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Mgit wrote: »
    Just make sure to disconnect the copper pairs that feed into you house from eir, otherwise youll be sending you phone signal from modem out of your house and potentially into eir exchange.

Or backfeed power from the OpenEIR exchange into your equipment .. which is an unwanted feature.

But yes, once the copper pair coming from the outside is removed from the internal wiring, there's no problem just to use the house sockets with the VoIP port.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Tango One

Is there a formula you could use to check the theoretical(and actual) max speed you could expect to receive from the cab based on distance(taking you know the cable run).

Tango One wrote: »
    Is there a formula you could use to check the theoretical(and actual) max speed you could expect to receive from the cab based on distance(taking you know the cable run).

There is a table.

Line length Downstream Upstream
    100m 100 2-20
    300m 85 2-20
    450m 80 2-20
    525m 70 2-20
    600m 60 2-20
    650m 50 2-16
    750m 43 2-16
    750m 40 2-16
    850m 34 2-16
    1000m 28 2-16
    1000m 20 2-10
    1200m 20 2-8
    1300m 18 1-7
    1500m 12 0.256-1
    1750m 10 0.256-1
    2000m 4 0.256-1

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Marlow wrote: »
    There is a table.

Line length Downstream Upstream
    100m 100 2-20
    300m 85 2-20
    450m 80 2-20
    525m 70 2-20
    600m 60 2-20
    650m 50 2-16
    750m 43 2-16
    750m 40 2-16
    850m 34 2-16
    1000m 28 2-16
    1000m 20 2-10
    1200m 20 2-8
    1300m 18 1-7
    1500m 12 0.256-1
    1750m 10 0.256-1
    2000m 4 0.256-1

/M

Always wondered if that table was pre or post vectoring as I'm around 1500m from the cab and I have a 30/2.5ish service

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

There are a few tables - go to pages 56/57

http://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4808

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Always wondered if that table was pre or post vectoring as I'm around 1500m from the cab and I have a 30/2.5ish service

Tables that start at 70 are pre, 100 are post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 charliepsmith

I have just received a letter in the post saying that eir fibre is now active at my address. I am currently in a contract with sky for another 10 months. My question is can i get the fibre speed through sky or do i have to go through eir.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

I have just received a letter in the post saying that eir fibre is now active at my address. I am currently in a contract with sky for another 10 months. My question is can i get the fibre speed through sky or do i have to go through eir.
    Thanks

SKY don't do OpenEIR FTTH currently. Only FTTC/VDSL.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Thanks
    I have a friend eir paid 200 Euro for him to terminate his account with Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MrLucidLJ

Hi guys just wondering any update on Macroom and will the speeds for the overall town go up. I am on around 10-12mbps and been on that for over 4 years. I live up Massey town.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Cookiepus

Got the FTTH in middle of nowhere Galway now, getting 900mbit + no problems, quite happy, tho' now looking at seeing if can replace the F2000 modem with something better, I do not trust them with having good hardware...

Hi
    My area of Galway is on this list for fiber rollout as "second half of 2017"
    http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Rural-Exchange-Timeline-24-April-2017.pdf
    i assume that's not going to happen?
    i emailed the link given to ask but was ignored.
    Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cookiepus wrote: »
    My area of Galway is on this list for fiber rollout as "second half of 2017"
    http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Rural-Exchange-Timeline-24-April-2017.pdf
    i assume that's not going to happen?
    i emailed the link given to ask but was ignored.

Any FTTH related work done in the area, pole replacement, fibre on the poles, splice boxes on the poles, etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Hi..

I am in the "light blue" area on the roll out map and noticed in the past week that new poles have been installed in my area with new cabling attaching to them.

Does this mean that I am close to finally receiving Ftth? And if so what happens next??

Thanks.

opengoal wrote: »
    Hi..

I am in the "light blue" area on the roll out map and noticed in the past week that new poles have been installed in my area with new cabling attaching to them.

Does this mean that I am close to finally receiving Ftth? And if so what happens next??

Thanks.

Do some of the poles have boxes on them like the following?

403833.jpg

If so and everything is fully connected you should be live within a couple of months. eir salespersons will probably visit your area pre-selling the product although you also have other operators to choose from (green home icon). The benefit of eir is currently they have no installation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

No boxes yet, but I presume that's the next step.. Anyway it's good news that the process has started... I presume then once the boxes go up and all is connected that I will have ftth? If so what sort of speeds can I expect and is my speeds determined by distance from exchanges etc?? Thank you.

• Advertisement

opengoal wrote: »
    No boxes yet, but I presume that's the next step.. Anyway it's good news that the process has started... I presume then once the boxes go up and all is connected that I will have ftth? If so what sort of speeds can I expect and is my speeds determined by distance from exchanges etc?? Thank you.

To see if you will be covered enter your Eircode on http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k).

Assuming you will be covered there are three speeds currently offered by providers, 150/30Mb, 300/50Mb and 1000/100Mb. Distance from the exchange is not a factor as it is a full fibre network so you should get whatever speed you order.

Advertisement