Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Marlow wrote: »
    The dotted line to Kilalla is in preparation for the Jomfrue (Mermaid) Submarine Fiber from the US to Denmark, which will have a spur into Ireland and will be using Aurora for the irish overland section.

According to this map the existing AEC-1 goes direct to Killala and the planned Havfrue/AEC-2 cable spurs to Lecanvey, between Westport and Louisburgh.

http://submarine-cable-map-2018.telegeography.com/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Cush wrote: »
    According to this map the existing AEC-1 goes direct to Killala and the planned Havfrue/AEC-2 cable spurs to Lecanvey, between Westport and Louisburgh.

http://submarine-cable-map-2018.telegeography.com/

The route hasn't been finalised yet. It would be nice if it landed near Westport, from a route diversity perspective, but it's not a done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Slightly OT but has the Shell pipeline glass ever been lit ? #EndasBaby

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The route hasn't been finalised yet. It would be nice if it landed near Westport, from a route diversity perspective, but it's not a done deal.
    According to this Dáil question last Feb it's coming ashore in Clew Bay - http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2018020800062#WRM00800

and their preferred location is Old Head Beach near Louisburg. A Foreshore Application has been submitted to the Dept of Housing to carry out a geophysical survey and site investigation for the fibre optic cable.

www.housing.gov.ie/planning/foreshore/applications/america-europe-connect-2-ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

"Havfrue", maybe? Need to work on your Danish, dude... :pac:

:p .... Head not being where it needs to be.

/M

• Advertisement

Optical pothead hanging down near ground level by its feed in Wicklow today, would appear to be new. C'mon ladies screwdrivers aren't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I know it's not a VDSL cabinet, but I assume that if one does get put in later this year the new cabinet will be near to this one?
    f1vdLyV.jpg

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I know it's not a VDSL cabinet, but I assume that if one does get put in later this year the new cabinet will be near to this one?
    f1vdLyV.jpg

The green cab at the back actually might be ... Location ?

/M

The green cab at the back actually might be ... Location ?

/M

I'll be shocked if it is, because we can't get DSL at all.
    It's in the Achill area.

I'll be shocked if it is, because we can't get DSL at all.
    It's in the Achill area.

Mainland or island?

• Advertisement

Isn't Achill mainly Rurtel ?

Either way, there's no plans according to the map, for Achill (island side) to get FTTC or FTTH. Only the mainland side of Achill Sound is down for FTTH.

I think Achill is still mostly Rurtel, so there would be a lot of cabling to be done.

/M

The one at the back is an older cab, a CCP. Not used for Huawei MSANs (only in the flat panel ones that are deeper).

Id put money on the right one being a new compact exchange. There are businesses and schools fed by Eir via an STM link IIRC. Used to go down fairly regularly due to the exposed nature of the site.

Mainland or island?

Mainland, and on the eir rural fibre rollout line Q4 2018
    ED E wrote: »
    The one at the back is an older cab, a CCP. Not used for Huawei MSANs (only in the flat panel ones that are deeper).

Id put money on the right one being a new compact exchange. There are businesses and schools fed by Eir via an STM link IIRC. Used to go down fairly regularly due to the exposed nature of the site.
    Just a bit of further info, beside the wall is a pole with 2 dishes at the top pointing towards a vertical antenna a few hundred metres away ,which in turn is where Westnet's fixed wireless is broadcast in the area. I've always assumed the white cabinet was for that.

CURRANE STD Code: CUA
    Serving 101 metallic paths.

Assume thats you, Achillbeg/Clare Island in the background.

Mainland, and on the eir rural fibre rollout line Q4 2018
    Ah, I didn't recognise it without the pole in the picture. Yeah, that cabinet probably relates to the 300k rollout.
    Just a bit of further info, beside the wall is a pole with 2 dishes at the top pointing towards a vertical antenna a few hundred metres away ,which in turn is where Westnet's fixed wireless is broadcast in the area. I've always assumed the white cabinet was for that.
    Nope, the cabinet is Corraun telephone exchange. The two dishes are pointed at Minaun on Achill, not at the Westnet transmitter.

OpenEir have finally fixed the NGA maps at http://www.openeir.ie/

I don't particularly like the new maps, but at least they're usable again and one isn't searching blind for an exchange.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I don't particularly like the new maps, but at least they're usable again and one isn't searching blind for an exchange.

/M

**** sake, it is the same crappy effort as fibrerollout. The old NGA map was so much better and quicker to use.

**** sake, it is the same crappy effort as fibrerollout. The old NGA map was so much better and quicker to use.

Jup .. the problem is, that it probably was too intensive and they constantly maxed out their google map quotas.

So instead of paying for a map engine, they went the crummy route.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all,

Can someone explain that Fibre Rollout Map to me? Im living in Headford Galway, the area is all shaded green, there are three cabinets, but the nearest one is blue.

It tells me I can only get speeds up to 15mb which is definitely not Fibre (or is it in the eyes of Eircom?)

Ive attached a few screenshots below too which explains the three cabinets.

Im a little confused on the various types of Fibre I can get (or not at this point) but currently what Im getting is terrible. 10mb dl, 0.2 upload and online gaming is terrible during peak hours or if anyone else is using the net at the same time.

As the crow flies, Im 0.1km from the blue cabinet and 0.5km from the other two. Online support for eir is terrible. If anyone could shed light on my chances of getting Fibre from the "soon to be activated" one that would be great.

Is there a waiting list I can be put on so im part of the group that gets activated?

https://imgur.com/1H5a2tJ
    https://imgur.com/vDbKK5S
    https://imgur.com/b8LEuEZ

Going by the details you've given it looks like an 850m loop from the exch(750 to cab, 100m further to you).

That should give you 20Mb ADSL(you say you're on 10Mb which doesnt make sense in any setup) or a little bit more from EVDSL (What eir call one form of eFibre).

Are you sure on your distances? If so I'd take that prequal with a big pinch of salt. If you want to PM me your ph number I can dump the full info about the line.

• Advertisement

Follow up to PM:
    "eircode": null,
    "county": null,
    "date": null,
    "error": null,
    "fullAddress": null,
    "townEnabled": false,
    "maxDSL": null,
    "maxHSI": null,
    "maxFTCHSI": null,
    "maxNGB": "15M_768K_RH",
    "maxNRA": null,
    "maxFTCNRA": null,
    "maxDSLServiceCode": null,
    "maxHSIServiceCode": null,
    "maxFTCHSIServiceCode": null,
    "maxNGBServiceCode": "BMB24MB",
    "maxNRAServiceCode": null,
    "maxFTCNRAServiceCode": null,
    "phase": "No Fibre",
    "phone": "093-XXXXXX",
    "validationType": "phone",
    "message": null,
    "redCustomer": false,
    "lastUpdated": null,
    "itv": false,
    "partialAddresses": null,
    "completed": true,
    "needsEircode": false,
    "wideSearch": null,
    "recommendedBundles": [

"aaa": null,
    "caaa": null,
    "faaa": null,
    "ccb": null,
    "ccben": false,
    "eee": null,
    "xbc": false,
    "xec": false,
    "xfc": false,
    "xfh": false,
    "xrc": false,
    "inga": false,
    "ifth": false,
    "iftc": false,
    "ingb": true,

"lin": null,
    "ere": null,
    "ina": false,
    "exdp": false,
    "ua": null,
    "ctc": false,
    "idsl": false

The line is prequalifying a little low for where you are. Potentially its quality isn't quite what it should be. You could try and tease that out with your ISP but it may be tedious. 10Mb is definitely underperforming.

eFibre wise things do point to you being on the incomplete cab. The fact that its incomplete at this stage of the game may hint there are problems with finishing it (such as ESB power or council licence to dig).

Follow up to PM:

The line is prequalifying a little low for where you are. Potentially its quality isn't quite what it should be. You could try and tease that out with your ISP but it may be tedious. 10Mb is definitely underperforming.

eFibre wise things do point to you being on the incomplete cab. The fact that its incomplete at this stage of the game may hint there are problems with finishing it (such as ESB power or council licence to dig).

Really appreciate you looking into that. Couple of quick questions.

When you say quality is a little low, what sort of difference would I be looking at if they actually sorted it?

Is Efibre different to regular Fibre? (sorry if this is a daft question) And anyway to find out if they will finish that incomplete cabinet?

Im guessing the cabinet at the top left of the town which is due by Winter wont affect me so?

There are only two cabinets, 1 and 2, 1 is live(East), 2 is planned(South) and then the exchange itself which is live also. If you want to find out about the cabinet try catching a Local OpenEir van and ask nicely. May know, may not.

The naming is stupid: eFibre = 7Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. GJ Eir Marketing. 150, 300 and 1000Mb are real fibre. You will not get this (too close to town, "Green Zone"). You will get fake fibre (7-100Mb, soon to be sped up a little more).

800m is close enough for 22-24Mb in an ideal world. Being more realistic I would be unhappy below 18Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

/M

lcn1_024.JPG

WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!

There are only two cabinets, 1 and 2, 1 is live(East), 2 is planned(South) and then the exchange itself which is live also. If you want to find out about the cabinet try catching a Local OpenEir van and ask nicely. May know, may not.

The naming is stupid: eFibre = 7Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. GJ Eir Marketing. 150, 300 and 1000Mb are real fibre. You will not get this (too close to town, "Green Zone"). You will get fake fibre (7-100Mb, soon to be sped up a little more).

800m is close enough for 22-24Mb in an ideal world. Being more realistic I would be unhappy below 18Mb.

The Eir line speed checker is telling me up to 15mb. I was chatting with Tracey on the Eir board but im pretty sure hes popping my landline into the same checker thing they have on their website.

joe123 wrote: »
    The Eir line speed checker is telling me up to 15mb. I was chatting with Tracey on the Eir board but im pretty sure hes popping my landline into the same checker thing they have on their website.

Yes, thats what you should be at today. And its also a low rating.

If you want follow this post:
    https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Fibre/How-to-find-your-Router-Stats/td-p/2345276
    And start a new thread with the info. Those are something you can fix today potentially not an indefinite wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quinntan

Saw the KN Group lads putting fibre on poles today, Bohola exchange, Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CakeLumps

Its funny, according to the Rollout Map on eirs site, houses literally 60 meters from my house are connected to fibre, yet ours isn't. Apparently they got too lazy and didn't finish the remaining 4 houses on that road. I'd be fine if I didn't get around 240 KB/s on a good day, which rarely happens. We're 2 KM outside of a town, off a main road, which has fibre on the lines (They installed the boxes months ago). It just pisses me off that in this day and age it takes me up to 5 days to download anything bigger than 30 GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

CakeLumps wrote: »
    Its funny, according to the Rollout Map on eirs site, houses literally 60 meters from my house are connected to fibre, yet ours isn't. Apparently they got too lazy and didn't finish the remaining 4 houses on that road. I'd be fine if I didn't get around 240 KB/s on a good day, which rarely happens. We're 2 KM outside of a town, off a main road, which has fibre on the lines (They installed the boxes months ago). It just pisses me off that in this day and age it takes me up to 5 days to download anything bigger than 30 GB.

Same here, an long empty house 70m from me it lit up Green for fibre, but us and the house beside us are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Sorry if already answered but how do Eircom figure out where and how far out a road they will run fiber.

I've fibre cabinets and lines running to houses on the road about 2.8km either side of my house but that seems to be as far as planned to go. From a networking point of view to me it would have made sense to connect those points up (and provide fibre to the houses on the road).

Also, spare a thought for my neighbour who lives beside a fibre enabled house but according to eircom maps that's as far as they are going with it so he won't be enabled.

Advertisement